Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Top 10s and lists
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - What band has Prog Archives helped you discover?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What band has Prog Archives helped you discover?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2018 at 00:16
Lemon Kittens & Deluge Grander. First one is really great, Grander is ok, but I could have live without it.
PolarWolf View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PolarWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2018 at 04:46
I've found many new bands and artists here. Most important being Robert Wyatt, PFM, Banco del Mutuo Soccorso and Magma. Especially Magma was a great discovery. Their music is very interesting and unique and I hadn't heard anything about Magma or Zeuhl before.
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2018 at 05:20
Originally posted by Man With Hat Man With Hat wrote:

It would be easier to mention the names of bands I knew before finding this site (Genesis, King Crimson,Zappa, Gentle Giant, Spock's Beard, Brand X, UK, Dice, Lift, Kayak...that's about it I think) than naming the ones I've found because of the site. 
That's true for me as well, although my list would be Pink Floyd, Supertramp, Yes, José Cid. Browsing about "10.000 Anos Depois..." brought me to this site and the rest is history.
progaardvark View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progaardvark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2018 at 05:37
Before this site existed, I was already discovering new bands via GEPR, Progression magazine, Jerry Lucky's Progressive Rock Files, and what was left of the rec.music.progressive newsgroup. So it would be very difficult to separate which source I discovered a band in because I failed to document it. I am absolutely certain that I have discovered more on PA since circa 2007 than any previous source. The number would be in the hundreds I'm sure, but one big one I had missed that was due to PA was Gentle Giant.
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
Jeffro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeffro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2018 at 06:14
Just to name a few

Gentle Giant
PFM
Soft Machine
Mahavishnu Orchestra
Mars Volta
Porcupine Tree/Steven Wilson

And a whole bunch of more obscure one shot type bands who maybe made one or two albums before vanishing

I also gained a newer appreciation for bands like Tull, (early)Kansas, King Crimson, ELP, and Pink Floyd.

Some bands, like Genesis, I knew about but had never really plunged into their prog years. Now I have and I love it.

I only wish I had found this site many years earlier
Chaser View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chaser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2018 at 06:17
I became a PA member only recently, but had been looking at the site for several years before I joined.

Whilst I was already very familiar with the big UK based prog bands, I wouldn't have dreamed of looking at prog bands from Italy, Germany, France, etc... until I got on this site.  So it has opened up a whole new world of music to me.

The big band that I had missed was Van der Graaf Generator, and it was an absolute treat to get into them after seeing how highly they were rated on PA.  VdGG now rank as one of my favourite bands of all time.

I'm currently getting into the Canterbury scene, which had largely passed me by, based on the ratings on PA, and it's a journey I'm very much enjoying.

Hoping to discover much more in the future from this site, and I think I will!
Songs cast a light on you
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2018 at 07:08
I don't think PA introduced me to many new artists but PA did help me to come to enjoy neo prog groups more than I did years ago. Many great reviews, especially from Lazland, helped to broaden my appreciation.

Edited by SteveG - August 17 2018 at 10:40
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2018 at 09:47
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

I don't think PA introduced to many new artists but PA did help to come to enjoy neo prog group's more than I did years ago. Many great reviews, especially from Lazland, helped to broaden my appreciation.

Ooh, you do say the nicest things

I really must get back to reviewing......
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2018 at 10:44
Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

I don't think PA introduced to many new artists but PA did help to come to enjoy neo prog group's more than I did years ago. Many great reviews, especially from Lazland, helped to broaden my appreciation.

Ooh, you do say the nicest things

I really must get back to reviewing......
Even with all the grammatical errors, I'm glad my meaning was clear Laz! LOL Yes indeed, do return to reviewing. I can almost hear a Mostly Autumn album calling your name.

Edited by SteveG - August 17 2018 at 10:45
Squonk19 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Squonk19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2018 at 11:03
Where PA works best for me is finding out much more detail about bands and albums I have heard about elsewhere. Prog Magazine, Morow prog radio and 'word of mouth' remain my usual starting points, but then the PA summaries, reviews and the many recommendations and opinions expressed on this forum really add to my knowledge and help me plunge into a band or particular album with more confidence and understanding of what to expect.

Over the last year or two, I have grown much more familiar with the work of Gentle Giant and Hogarth-era Marillion - both of which I neglected over the years, as a direct result of forum posts and opinions. I caught up with a number of bands, such as Twelfth Night, who passed me by first time round. I've even dabbled with more left-field choices (for me at least) such as Magma and Can? I have also been able to get several new releases immediately as a result of posts on this forum.
“Living in their pools, they soon forget about the sea.”
philipemery View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote philipemery Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2018 at 11:07
PA has helped me discover:

Island
Mutiny in Jonestown (love you Dennis)
Fireballet
Mithrandir
Quill (1977)
Lift
Spektakel
Pulsar

Among many many others. I love it because it has been my number one source for finding amazing one album wonders.

Edited by philipemery - August 17 2018 at 11:08
But the sun is eclipsed by the moon. -- Pink Floyd
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2018 at 13:18
Originally posted by Squonk19 Squonk19 wrote:

Hogarth-era Marillion

Not prog, does not belong here.

Colorless, lifeless, insipid, uninteresting, unexciting, uninspiring and...unstimulating.
philipemery View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote philipemery Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2018 at 13:26
Originally posted by Barbu Barbu wrote:

Hogarth-era Marillion

Colorless, lifeless, insipid, uninteresting, unexciting, uninspiring and...unstimulating.

Also:

Lime and limpid green.

But the sun is eclipsed by the moon. -- Pink Floyd
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2018 at 13:29

Hogarth-era Marillion

But prog by any other name would still smell as sweet.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2018 at 13:33
Originally posted by philipemery philipemery wrote:

Hogarth-era Marillion

Also:

Lime and limpid green.

Also:

Big smile
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2018 at 14:10
Originally posted by Mortte Mortte wrote:

Lemon Kittens & Deluge Grander. First one is really great, Grander is ok, but I could have live without it.

Lemon Kittens aren't on PA though. I've heard of them anyway so not a big deal to me. The greek band Lemonade Influence is though(apparently they are weird but then again so are lemon kittens). 
Squonk19 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Squonk19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2018 at 14:51

Hogarth-era Marillion

C'est magnifique, Barbu!
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote octopus-4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2018 at 15:19
Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

Too many to name, I typically hear about bands either here, PE, FB or at festivals. I pretty much always come here after that to explore discography, read reviews, check threads and decide where to start exploring. Some that spring to mind include Thinking Plague, Miriodor, Chrome Hoof, Hyrrokkin, Secret Chiefs 3, Cardiacs, elephant9.
Too many for me too, and despite being in the same team, Hyrrokkin and Cardiacs are the only two that I can say that I "know" from the ones mentioned above.
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2018 at 15:49

Hogarth-era Marillion

C'est magnifique, Barbu!

Squonky!
Squonk19 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Squonk19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2018 at 15:59
^ That beer on the other thread looks great! Cheers!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>