Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Top 10s and lists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Song parts that annoy the wife

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Harrekiet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Song parts that annoy the wife
    Posted: August 19 2018 at 08:27
Sexism not intended, just a bit of fun. Maybe recognizable.
What do you think?
  • intros of Long Distance runaround and Awaken
  • the staccato guitar riff after the church organ in Close to the Edge
  • A flower??
  • the wobbly guitar solo in Counting Out Time
  • the howling dog in Seamus
  • The loudness of the clocks in the intro of Time
  • Roger Taylor hurting his little toe in the intro of In the Lap of the Gods

Edited by Harrekiet - August 19 2018 at 08:44
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2018 at 09:31
Most heavy guitar riffs and solos annoy the heck out of my wife.
TCat View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2018 at 09:38
Anything by Frank Zappa totally pisses her off.
Anything by Sleepytime Gorilla Museum or Idiot Flesh
Growly vocals by Opeth, Orphaned Land, Devin Townsend, Baroness, Agelloch and so on.
The early space rock by Pink Floyd especially anything off of "Ummagumma"

I know these are full songs and or discographies and not song parts.  But she hates all of the parts of anything above.  It's all not bleak though because at least she loves most of the other Pink Floyd discography, some Porcupine Tree, My Morning Jacket and Jack White, so it's not all bad.
Squonk19 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Squonk19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2018 at 09:49
An extended high note guitar solo often gets her asking for the volume to be reduced in the car or at home (if I don't have the headphones on). This tends to bring the volume down so low for me that it becomes too trebly and loses any bass structure or richness (making the track sound like it's coming through an old AM radio). Comfortably Numb is a notable exception, though.

Whenever the music gets 'busy' - changing time signatures, jazzy-style improvisation etc - she often complains. I've lost count of the times I've tried to get her to listen to the first few minutes of Close to the Edge, Heart of the Sunrise etc. before it gets more melodic - without success. I often need to skip it to later in the track, which is a shame. The start of Speed King doesn't work for her either.

A great rock scream like those of Gillan and Daltrey don't always get a positive response, but I think Won't Get Fooled Again is growing on her faster than Child in Time!

“Living in their pools, they soon forget about the sea.”
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2018 at 10:39
There would far too many to mention. I don't play Prog around my wife (I use headphones or earbuds when she is around). I thought that music such as Mellow Candle might appeal, but it didn't.   If it counted, she does like music by the Alan Parson's Project and Kitaro. When I played her Dark Side of the Moon, she asked "What's all the fuss about?" And I get that, that's a part of my childhood, not hers.

One thing that I remember her specifically commenting on negatively is the scream at the beginning of Geinoh Yamashirogumi's Osorezan (mind you, I did have the volume turned up).

She doesn't like the music that most moves me. When I started going out with her, I almost exclusively listened to classical music. I remember playing Beethoven's Seventh and Ninth symphonies, Myaskovsky, Schubert, Bach, and Delibes and the like around her. On more than one occasion while I was feeling deeply moved, she mentioned that she couldn't see the appeal at all or she would ask me how it could appeal to me. She most likes "songs" that relate to her past (a part of her growing up) and those tend to be things like certain Elton John, Air Supply, ABBA, The Carpenters.... I appreciate a lot of what she likes, but it doesn't go the other way. That's okay. At the time it bothered me, but it doesn't any longer. Not that I minded that we would have different tastes, everyone has different experiences, but it was the questions. I think that she felt much the same when I questioned her religious beliefs (we got beyond our differences and accepted each other as we are, and we respect each other -- wish more people could do the same). We have such different backgrounds, she's an engineer and I'm just a dreamer who dreamed my life away.

At least when it comes to film, television and novels, our tastes intersect much more, but our shared experiences in Japan played a part in that.

Edited by Logan - August 19 2018 at 13:49
Just a fanboy passin' through.
Vompatti View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vompatti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2018 at 10:56
tfw no wife to play annoying prog to
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2018 at 12:25
Hi,

I have never married, mostly as I was already "married" to my writing, and the arts. The only way I could see getting married would be to someone that also appreciate those things. But there have been, in my life, women that loved music up to and including Tangerine Dream and many others.

The "fake'st" ones I ever met was in the 90's and most of them were of the plasticine and cardboard variety involved in "new age" something or other, and anything that men liked they could not like. The whole thing was so hypocritical as to make one thing that ... how can anyone marry that person? I still call it cardboard mysticism.

One of the ladies was classically trained on the piano and she had no issues with listening to the newer stuff, but she did think that most synthesizers were being mis-used musically. I wish I could ask her today about this, since all synths have become just an instrument replacement in the orchestra instead of a bonafide instrument that adds to the orchestra.

All in all, I do not spend my time trying to convince anyone that the music I listen to is better than any other. I am just not prepared to believe that it is all just a matter of taste ... there is something in the other dimensions in some music that is hard to explain. One is either attuned to those dimensions or not.

Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
DarkTower View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DarkTower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2018 at 13:13
My wife is pretty opened to the music I listen to. Actually, she loves Pendragon and Magic Pie, and many others like IQ. A few months ago she told me "this was so good" after Marillion's The Great Escape came to an end.
However, she can't stand the growling vocals of Opeth.
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2018 at 13:36
Any Zappa.
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2018 at 14:11
My wife is currently listening to Tull's Minstrel in the Gallery La Grande Edition in her car. Last week it was Nick Drake and Howlin' Wolf compilations, with the Brandenburg Concertos thrown in. I have no issues with what she likes to listen to. She's an adult and has great taste in music.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
Cosmiclawnmower View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cosmiclawnmower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2018 at 14:20
My wife is very open minded musically and has accompanied me to most gigs and festivals over the last 16 years; her personal interest is more in the folk vein and artists such as Eddi Reader, Kate Bush and Suzanne Vega. She also really like Theatre and Folk dancing. I've consequentially come to discover a lot more folk music and really enjoy theatre (though I leave the folk and Morris dancing to her as I have two left feet)

She actually fell asleep during Magma when we saw them a few years back.. she says she doesn't really get them but can see (when she's not asleep!) how they stir and move people deeply and can appreciate that. Actually, the only band she says she finds a bit too much is Yes (she says NO!) and she LOVES Can, Gong and Van der Graaf Generator!

Prog Sothoth View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prog Sothoth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2018 at 14:37
My wife likes some Floyd, but she finds most of "Shine On You Crazy Diamond", both halves, to be borefests. She's like "just get to the singing part damnit!"
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2018 at 14:46
My wife hates pretty much everything that isn't straight rock, jazz, blues & metal. So that's about 3/4 of my collection. Whenever we go for a drive she gets to bounce any track she doesn't like so a lot gets bounced. Whenever we go to a gig she makes me play them first so she can decide if she wants to go or not.
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
Hercules View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hercules Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2018 at 15:06
I don't have a wife for obvious reasons, but my late partner used to loathe Brain Salad Surgery and would go to the greenhouse whenever I put it on.
I didn't really like it a lot, but it got me some peace and quiet.
A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2018 at 16:17
My dear wife Virginia seems to detest anything she calls "guy music," which includes prog of course. 

Damn disappointing, she's met some of the best!!  She's a good sport.  

I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!
The.Crimson.King View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The.Crimson.King Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2018 at 19:16
My wife spent her early to mid teenage years around the Grateful Dead as her dad was one of Bill Graham's "yellow shirt" security guys whenever they played in the Bay Area.  She spent a lot of shows standing backstage enduring Space/Drums and absolutely cannot stand any long pointless improvisational noodling (Dead or not).  Oh ya, and she hates any growling Opeth/My Dying Bride LOL
AEProgman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AEProgman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2018 at 19:25
She hates it all except some classical, disco, and hits of the 70s/80s.  We are night and day.......I need a man cave!
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2018 at 05:18
My wife likes the carpenters, Lionel ritchie, mostly ballad love songs....she says everything that I listen to is just noise....technically she is correct...
Argo2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argo2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2018 at 07:34
My wife dislikes Tull & most Zappa. Also any long drawn out instrumental sections of songs. 
There are a lot of things I won't even attempt to play around her because I'm pretty sure she wont like it. 
She does like some Rush, Yes, Floyd & Genesis but mostly the more mainstream accessible stuff.

Edited by Argo2112 - August 20 2018 at 07:36
AZF View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AZF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2018 at 08:17
Not married but find it hilarious women seem to take an exception to Frank Zappa!
Any particular part of Zappa's work or just any of it?
How do !into Crimson fare by comparison to listening to Zappa?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>