Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - 1974: Canterbury Scene, Sound or Flavour albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

1974: Canterbury Scene, Sound or Flavour albums

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Poll Question: Choose an album from the list (and mention any others)
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
1 [1.67%]
18 [30.00%]
2 [3.33%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [1.67%]
3 [5.00%]
5 [8.33%]
13 [21.67%]
2 [3.33%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [1.67%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
13 [21.67%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [1.67%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
hellogoodbye View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hellogoodbye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1974: Canterbury Scene, Sound or Flavour albums
    Posted: September 27 2018 at 03:59
Vote for tortilla Flat, incredible album, unfortunately still unavailable. My second vote would go to Dr Dopo Jam, but not this one. The previous Entree is a fantastic stuff.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2018 at 15:25
f**king Camel.. pfff... great album but as Canterbury as this beer drinking ass kicking cowboy hippy as I am...

the Hatfield album.. followed oh so closely by the Wyatt album... one of the great albums to consider blowing your brains out to.. good thing I didn't know that album after the Spawn of Satan ripped my soul and heart out of me... or I might have done it...as it was I tried to kill myself by entering a flaming car wreck and pulling out a guy who lived through it.  I got a write up in the local paper but that wasn't the intent.. I didn't intend to live through that attempt.  

the power of evil redheads... beware guys...

Edited by micky - September 14 2018 at 15:26
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Boojieboy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boojieboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2018 at 15:18
Seems like Caravan ought to be in there, if we're talking about Canterbury. I'd still go with Camel though.
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2018 at 16:44

Hatfield 
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2018 at 15:01
Interestingly I recently found a nice (and cheap) copy on original vinyl of Darryl Ways Wolf-Night Music and I have an English issue  copy of Rock Bottom on vinyl that I haven't played in a long time....need to pull it out and see what all the fuss is about. I recall it being laid back and not all that exciting.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2018 at 14:45
Its sad alright but there's just so much good stuff to choose from
Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Padraic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2018 at 13:59
No votes for Henry Cow made me sad, so I voted for that.

Henry Cow, Hatfield, Gong, Wyatt - 5 star albums all.

Hell even Camel put out their best.

Great poll, tough choice.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2018 at 11:47
Originally posted by siLLy puPPy siLLy puPPy wrote:

Hatfield and the North for me. That album pretty much sums up everything that was so unique about the Canterbury Scene and one of the top albums of the entire scene.

Definitely...one of my desert island albums....
Smile
Haquin
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote someone_else Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2018 at 01:57
Gong with Wyatt as a good second.
Cosmiclawnmower View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cosmiclawnmower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2018 at 02:32
Originally posted by Walkscore Walkscore wrote:

But Rock Bottom is particularly special and unique.

Clap Totally agree- played last night and again it strikes me just how timeless and almost contemporary it sounds and how instruments, moods, textures and treatments were employed in a way that very, very few (if any) were using at that time but has come to influence a whole range of music in the following decades right up to now (and beyond im sure). An absolute genius!

dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2018 at 15:17
Hatfield.....but Egg and Camel are close for me....
Haquin
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2018 at 07:35
Second vote for Cos. I really love that band. Playful, naive, complex and melodic in all the right places - add to that a female vocalist that goes from cute to sinister in a heartbeat whilst still looking you square in the eye. Something of a siren to these ears.
Could have gone for a lot of others e Gong's masterpiece but felt a little Belgian this tuesday afternoon.

Edited by Guldbamsen - September 04 2018 at 07:35
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Mormegil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mormegil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2018 at 06:23
Going with Mirage . . .
Welcome to the middle of the film.
Walkscore View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Walkscore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2018 at 18:18
Many great albums here - Mirage, You, and Hatfields

But Rock Bottom is particularly special and unique.
Cosmiclawnmower View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cosmiclawnmower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2018 at 16:53
Hatfield and the North and RW Rock Bottom tie for the top. I do Like HC Unrest and Gong You very much also. And Mirage I adore but to me it exists in a slightly (only slightly, mind) different place..

The.Crimson.King View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The.Crimson.King Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2018 at 15:05
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

Originally posted by The.Crimson.King The.Crimson.King wrote:

Still would have voted Camel but including Greenslade's 3rd album, "Spyglass Guest" would have made it a tougher choice Wink 

I've only heard Greenslade's self-titled, will check into that one anon.

If you already like the first album you really can't go wrong with the next 2, Bedside Manners Are Extra & Spyglass Guest Wink
Upbeat Tango Monday View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Upbeat Tango Monday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2018 at 12:42
Still Hatfield, but Mirage and Civil Surface are close.
Honorable mentions to Rock Bottom and You.
Two random guys agreed to shake hands. Just Because. They felt like it, you know. It was an agreement of sorts...a random agreement.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2018 at 12:24
Originally posted by The.Crimson.King The.Crimson.King wrote:

Still would have voted Camel but including Greenslade's 3rd album, "Spyglass Guest" would have made it a tougher choice Wink 

I've only heard Greenslade's self-titled, will check into that one anon.
Just a fanboy passin' through.
The.Crimson.King View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The.Crimson.King Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2018 at 12:19
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2018 at 09:24
Hatfield and the North for me. That album pretty much sums up everything that was so unique about the Canterbury Scene and one of the top albums of the entire scene.

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>