Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Prog World Cup: Group A (Read the instructions)
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Prog World Cup: Group A (Read the instructions)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Poll Question: Pick your favorite. First and second will advance next round
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
42 [65.63%]
8 [12.50%]
11 [17.19%]
3 [4.69%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morningrise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Prog World Cup: Group A (Read the instructions)
    Posted: September 24 2018 at 17:26

8 groups, 32 countries, each represented by one and only one band.

Countries selected were those that had more albums with, at least, 30 ratings.

Bands selected to represent these countries were chosen by historic relevance and/or personal preference.

First and SECOND place will advance next round. So think your vote carefully before casting it.

Last day to vote for group A: September 27th

Edited by Morningrise - September 25 2018 at 08:33
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2018 at 17:45
I'm personally not that keen on contests, which is not to say that others shouldn't be, but Bubu is my clear favourite of these. Anabelas is, I think, stunning. And I will listen to El Eco del Sol anon.
Larkstongue41 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Larkstongue41 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2018 at 17:48
Bubu leading 3-0 against Yes? Let me savour the moment I feel it won't last long...
"Larks' tongues. Wrens' livers. Chaffinch brains. Jaguars' earlobes. Wolf nipple chips. Get 'em while they're hot. They're lovely. Dromedary pretzels, only half a denar."
Upbeat Tango Monday View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Upbeat Tango Monday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2018 at 18:27
Yes, of course.
Two random guys agreed to shake hands. Just Because. They felt like it, you know. It was an agreement of sorts...a random agreement.
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2018 at 20:04
Of the four choices here, Yes.
twosteves View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twosteves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2018 at 20:17
finally a World Cup England can winLOL
Progmind View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progmind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2018 at 20:40
Bubu!!!!
Fischman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fischman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2018 at 20:53
Yes. No contest.
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2018 at 01:12
Is Negura Bunget the only band that can represent Romania? Extreme metal next to those symph or eclectic legends? What about Phoenix? 

Sfinx? Celelalte Cuvinte? 

Excuse the complaining...
Hercules View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hercules Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2018 at 01:36
Yes, but I wouldn't have chosen them to represent the UK.
A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.
Morningrise View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morningrise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2018 at 05:39
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

Is Negura Bunget the only band that can represent Romania? Extreme metal next to those symph or eclectic legends? What about Phoenix? 

It's ok.

They are all valid options. But since the competition won't have loads of metal choices, I picked Negura Bunget to represent Romania.

I also tried to balance the number of classic and modern acts.

Besides, "Om" is the highest ranked romanian album on this site (247th), so I don't think Negura Bunget is that much bad of a choice.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morningrise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2018 at 05:42
Originally posted by Hercules Hercules wrote:

Yes, but I wouldn't have chosen them to represent the UK.

Yes is not my favorite prog band by any means, but when I think progressive rock, I think of them (sorry Genesis, Crimson and all the others)
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2018 at 06:10
Originally posted by Morningrise Morningrise wrote:

It's ok.

They are all valid options. But since the competition won't have loads of metal choices, I picked Negura Bunget to represent Romania.

Besides, "Om" is the highest ranked romanian album on this site (247th), so I don't think Negura Bunget is that much bad of a choice.

NB would get votes only from metal listeners, which aren't that many anyway. 
Up against Yes? Few have a chance to win. Yes is too big, famous and beloved. 

Maybe bands in these polls could be similar in genre, the popular genres will always win, progressive metal will never win, it's one of the least popular ones here on PA forum. :)
Mormegil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mormegil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2018 at 06:17
Yes +1
Welcome to the middle of the film.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morningrise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2018 at 06:40

It's ok.

Maybe bands in these polls could be similar in genre, the popular genres will always win, progressive metal will never win, it's one of the least popular ones here on PA forum. :)

I know Yes will probably win the competition easily. It's just for fun.

The real competition for the romanians is against Bubu and Bacamarte for 2nd place in the group so that they can advance one more round.

It's true. Metal genres are less popular here generally speaking. But there are some metal bands which are really beloved, such as Riverside or Opeth.

If I tried to include all bands of similar genre here, I would get criticisms as well. Let's say I decided to go for the most classic forms of prog, and I chose Triumvirat to represent Germany...

"What about Eloy? Grobschnitt? And Neuschwanstein?"

Some who do not understand the poll theme might even go:

"WHAT THE HELL IS TRIUMVIRAT DOING REPRESENTING GERMANY INSTEAD OF CAN????"

You can't please them all
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2018 at 07:02

It's ok.

The real competition for the romanians is against Bubu and Bacamarte for 2nd place in the group so that they can advance one more round.

It's true. Metal genres are less popular here generally speaking. But there are some metal bands which are really beloved, such as Riverside or Opeth.

If I tried to include all bands of similar genre here, I would get criticisms as well. Let's say I decided to go for the most classic forms of prog, and I chose Triumvirat to represent Germany...

I wonder how Riverside and Opeth would do in these poll, should you choose them, obviously. It really depends who you have them up against. I also hope Yes will not win, the only match for them would be (maybe) Magma or some RPI band, JRF or Canterbury.

Sorry I made a fuss, I get it these polls are for the fun of it. You can't please them all indeed (LOL)

Edited by Cristi - September 25 2018 at 07:04
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2018 at 07:07
The only Romanian bands I have albums by in PA are Phoenix and Sfinx (had heard some Negura Bunget and refreshed my memory before voting). My favourite "modern" Romanian-born composer is Vladimir Cosma who is not in ProgArchives, but would be of interest to various people here. Marius Popp is another not in PA but with some Prog music that I love. I'll do my own little Romanian poll since I have had insomnia once again.

As it is right now, the UK is sure to win this contest, and once again it will end up being amongst a few predictable bands.

If I were to do it, I'd maybe only include bands with about the same level of PA knownness and indeed mix it up genre-wise (maybe I'd keep out any that made the top 100 Prog albums list) or limit it to ones with 300 or less ratings. Anyway, it will be interesting to see how this differs from past World Cups and if there is some way to level the playing field more as the results were, I think, ultimately too predictable before. If the journey is more important than the destination, and the point is about bringing lesser-known bands to the attention of people, then I think the competition has merit.

Perhaps asking people to say a little bit about each band in their posts would be interesting, since I do think these work better when those who vote try to become at least somewhat familiar with all of the options before voting.

It's your topic, Morningrise though, and you can do it how you like (in the past, they have tended to take over the polls forum overmuch for my tastes). Polls can be fun, but at least for myself, I'm hoping to discover new-to-me music along the way when taking part in people's polls as well as have some enjoyable conversation with whomever starts a poll and posts in it. The social aspect is as important to me as discovering new-to-me music.

Edited by Logan - September 25 2018 at 07:14
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morningrise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2018 at 07:10

It's ok.

I wonder how Riverside and Opeth would do in these poll, should you choose them, obviously. It really depends who you have them up against. I also hope Yes will not win, the only match for them would be (maybe) Magma or some RPI band, JRF or Canterbury.

Sorry I made a fuss, I get it these polls are for the fun of it. You can't please them all indeed (LOL)

No fuss at all.

Trust me. There are some strong candidates coming from the US, Sweden, Germany, Canada, France, Poland, etc willing to take on Yes reign
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2018 at 07:21
Yes score my G'OLÉ !
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morningrise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2018 at 07:27
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

The only Romanian bands I have albums by in PA are Phoenix and Sfinx (had heard some Negura Bunget and refreshed my memory before voting). My favourite "modern" Romananian-born composer is Vladimir Cosma who is not in ProgArchives, but would be of interest to various people here. Marius Popp is another not in PA but with some Prog music that I love.

As it is right now, the UK is sure to win this contest, and once again it will end up being amongst a few predictable bands.

If I were to do it, I'd maybe only include bands with about the same level of PA knownness and indeed mix it up genre-wise (maybe I'd keep out any that made the top 100 Prog albums list) or limit it to ones with 300 or less ratings. Anyway, it will be interesting to see how this differs from past World Cups and if there is some way to level the playing field more as the results were, I think, ultimately too predictable before. If the journey is more important than the destination, and the point is about bringing lesser-known bands to the attention of people, then I think the competition has merit.

Perhaps asking people to say a little bit about each band in their posts would be interesting, since I do think these work better when those who vote try to become at least somewhat familiar with all of the options before voting.

It's your topic, Morningrise though, and you can do it how you like (in the past, they have tended to take over the polls forum overmuch for my tastes). Polls can be fun, but at least for myself, I'm hoping to discover new-to-me music along the way when taking part in people's polls as well as have some enjoyable conversation with whomever starts a poll and posts in it. The social aspect is as important to me as discovering new-to-me music.

Haha, it's definitely more about the journey than the destinstion, Logan.

Results will probably still be predictable. But it's a nice way to share thoughts, new music and some laughs.

I remember about between 5 and 10 years ago in another world cup of mine, having Dave Meros of Spock's Beard encouraging their fans in social media to vote for them against their rival, which I believe was The Mars Volta at the time, in a poll which was hilarious.

The Beard ended up winning by a veeeeery small margin and lots of The Mars Volta fans here were furious.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>