Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Top 10s and lists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Most Popular Prog Bands by Country Currently?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prog Sothoth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2018 at 12:40
Tricot from Japan are making some waves. They do quite well in their home country, have overseas distribution for their stuff now (I got a nice colored vinyl of their most recent album without having to deal with import fees), and seem to enjoy touring other parts of the world in the rock-club circuit. Next month they'll be playing gigs all over the UK.

They are basically an all-female hyper-math-rock band with some catchiness thrown in.
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2018 at 07:31
Sigur Ros can certainly sell out international tours.
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2018 at 09:50
The op might be interested in trying this: go to the top rated album part of this site and put in 100 albums(or 500 etc) or more from the countries you want. That will give you the most popular albums from those countries(or at least the most popular on here).  
tribalfusions View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tribalfusions Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2018 at 10:13
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

The op might be interested in trying this: go to the top rated album part of this site and put in 100 albums(or 500 etc) or more from the countries you want. That will give you the most popular albums from those countries(or at least the most popular on here).  

Thanks though the most popular groups on here aren't necessarily the most popular at large

I have gone through the list by country somewhat though to make sure I'm not forgetting anything.

Do you have any guesses?
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2018 at 11:27
Originally posted by tribalfusions tribalfusions wrote:

Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

Thanks though the most popular groups on here aren't necessarily the most popular at large

I have gone through the list by country somewhat though to make sure I'm not forgetting anything.

Do you have any guesses?

You were looking for the most popular prog bands and artists though right? So being that this is a prog website you will get the most popular acts in the prog genre. 

Other than the most obvious bands I think most have already been covered. I will say that anything metal or metal related seems to be popular and also anything post rock or crossover. 

No, I don't have any guesses other than what I already guessed. 
tribalfusions View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tribalfusions Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2018 at 13:52
Originally posted by Prog Sothoth Prog Sothoth wrote:

Tricot from Japan are making some waves. They do quite well in their home country, have overseas distribution for their stuff now (I got a nice colored vinyl of their most recent album without having to deal with import fees), and seem to enjoy touring other parts of the world in the rock-club circuit. Next month they'll be playing gigs all over the UK.

They are basically an all-female hyper-math-rock band with some catchiness thrown in.

Good call on that. They are one of the very few from Japan touring abroad with some more obvious prog tendencies. I'm struggling to think of others in fact. Do you know any?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234