Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Prog World Cup-Quarterfinals: Frank Zappa-Wobbler
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Prog World Cup-Quarterfinals: Frank Zappa-Wobbler

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Poll Question: Pick your favourite
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
43 [60.56%]
28 [39.44%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2018 at 16:58
Heart god you are so hot babe....
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2018 at 17:39
Originally posted by Raff Raff wrote:

Originally posted by Hercules Hercules wrote:

Absolutely. Neither would have been close.

It's recently become almost a RIO/Avant site, not a classic prog site. I haven't noticed Universe Zero being asked to play NEARfest or Night of the Prog (where Riverside have played 4 times).

It actually was UZ's first appearance in the US - the second being their legendary show at the French Embassy in September 2010, with Miriodor as openers. As you can see from this 2004 lineup, one of NEARfest's strengths was its varied lineups. In 2006, your beloved Riverside shared the stage with Guapo, among others. In my opinion, the really great festivals - such as NEARfest, ProgDay and Progtoberfest in Chicago - offer a wide range of sounds that can appeal to different kinds of people.

Anyway, since UZ were formed in the late Seventies, I believe they were closer to the classic prog era than the likes of Riverside or Big Big Train.

Well done Raff! ClapClap

Saved me posting the same thing, they've also played Zappanale, & Gouveia twice
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
HackettFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HackettFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2018 at 18:06
I voted for the one who made Shut Up N Play Yer Guitar.
A curse upon the heads of those who seek their fortunes in a lie. The truth is always waiting when there's nothing left to try. - Colin Henson, Jade Warrior (Now)
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2018 at 22:22
FZ
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
Hercules View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hercules Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2018 at 02:49
Originally posted by Raff Raff wrote:

Absolutely. Neither would have been close.

It's recently become almost a RIO/Avant site, not a classic prog site. I haven't noticed Universe Zero being asked to play NEARfest or Night of the Prog (where Riverside have played 4 times).

It actually was UZ's first appearance in the US - the second being their legendary show at the French Embassy in September 2010, with Miriodor as openers. As you can see from this 2004 lineup, one of NEARfest's strengths was its varied lineups. In 2006, your beloved Riverside shared the stage with Guapo, among others. In my opinion, the really great festivals - such as NEARfest, ProgDay and Progtoberfest in Chicago - offer a wide range of sounds that can appeal to different kinds of people.

Anyway, since UZ were formed in the late Seventies, I believe they were closer to the classic prog era than the likes of Riverside or Big Big Train.

You're quite right. I should have said HEADLINE NEARfest, which Riverside were asked to do, but it wasn't possible. UZ were never really more than a bit player there.
Riverside also played the Rambling Man fair in Kent in 2015, probably the biggest prog event in the UK then: I had tickets, but was ill and couldn't go. Which was a bitch, because I missed seeing THE greatest band of all time headline the prog stage. (Camel, of course).
A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2018 at 03:32
Camel are excellent. I think I have a few of their albums to collect...a neglected niche in my collection.
Mormegil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mormegil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2018 at 05:23
Wow - tough decision before coffee . . .
I know they won't make it, but the nod goes to Wobbler for this one.
Welcome to the middle of the film.
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote octopus-4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2018 at 06:52
Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

Zappa, how is this even a thing?
I've had the temptation of voting for Wobbler, but I really can't...
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
Dopeydoc View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dopeydoc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2018 at 15:29
Wobbler; I zap Zappa...
Prog Sothoth View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prog Sothoth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2018 at 17:15
Originally posted by Morningrise Morningrise wrote:

Originally posted by M27Barney M27Barney wrote:

The put a saucepan on my head and hit it with a wooden spoon enthusiasts will win this vote as well...

Yes, too many of the old prog fans who liked classic prog have given up on this site.

Today I was thinking that same thing. No more metalheads as well. Opeth would have kicked Can's ass five years ago here. Same Riverside with UZ.

Does anyone really think that Yes isn't going to run away with this whole thing easily? Might as well give them the crown now.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2018 at 18:04
oh yeah...  the classic groups always rule these contests. Sorry.. Wobbler and Riverside ain't f**king classic.  The fun can be in the early stages but when it comes to the last standing.. it is always the same and they hoard all the PA's Trophy's.  And none own more trophies than the mighty Yes.
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Tapfret View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tapfret Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2018 at 21:21
^The only real question in these polls is:
How the hell did you let a statement like "Camel are excellent" go by without brandishing your cat o' nine tails? I had my popcorn ready and everything.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2018 at 21:47
bah...   with Hercules...  you just have to pick and choose and I knew Auntie Raff wanted him strung up after that stupid post of his.  Besides.. call it it what is is.. that excellent group of his beat my excellent group twice.  Camel might be a 4th division band.. but they did beat the mighty ELP twice head to head.  Go figure...

I do swear I (and ELP) will have revenge before I leave this site.

I do see a reprise of my battle of the bands and albums contest coming back next year and into the the next. celebrating the 15 yr anni of some of us long timers here. Plus that last contest was such a damn blast. I read back through some of those old contest threads last night...   man this forum is f**king dead today.. we used to have some real sharp and witty people here with personalities ....and it was a reminder of how much fun forum used to be.  
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2018 at 03:33
Camel are definately division one. ELP had some better tracks but consistently produced stinkers as well...so Camel wins on average quality...
Morningrise View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morningrise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2018 at 04:10
Poll's over. Frank Zappa advances to semifinals. Final score: 34-21
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2018 at 06:15

Camel are definately division one. ELP had some better tracks but consistently produced stinkers as well...so Camel wins on average quality...

This says it all.LOL
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2018 at 08:00
Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

This says it all.LOL

HugLOL

Seriously speaking, I wonder how many of of those who describe RIO/Avant as "hitting a saucepan over your head with a wooden spoon" (nice description, I have to admit) have ever listened to any of the bands included in that section. Though I won't deny there are quite a few noisy and dissonant ones, many of them have very structured compositions that feature a lot of melody. I would recommend listening to one of the 21th century's greatest albums so far - Avanti! by French Canadian band Miriodor. When they opened for Univers Zero at the French Embassy in DC in 2010, a lot of people who normally have very little time for Avant stuff came expressly to see them. This must mean something.
BrufordFreak View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrufordFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2018 at 08:21
The sheer volume of Frank's insatiable creativity makes him indomitable!
Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2018 at 08:45
Bit late to the party, but Frank Zappa. He is a bit hit or miss for me, but I do love plenty of his stuff.

This is one of my favourites of his.

Boojieboy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boojieboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2018 at 16:01
Don't know Wobbler / never heard of him/her. That only leaves one person, so no competition, no vote.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>