Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Prog World Cup-Quarterfinals: Yes- Univers Zero
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Prog World Cup-Quarterfinals: Yes- Univers Zero

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Poll Question: Pick your favourite
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
44 [68.75%]
20 [31.25%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2018 at 09:17
well these two were a nice appetizer for the 3rd quarterfinal which should kick off later today....  if these were bloody..  that one could be a bloodbath.. bring it on!!!
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Chaser View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chaser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2018 at 09:23
Originally posted by Barbu Barbu wrote:

^ French is prohibited here.

Anti-French, Anti-classic prog fans! Donald Trump's got nothing on you guys!
Songs cast a light on you
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2018 at 09:25
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

^ give up man..  you are too nice to be admin material

Law and order, brother! Most important thing in life...the rules!!

with big oil and cash, cash, cash, of course.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2018 at 09:33
^ and don't forget to build that wall!!! 
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2018 at 09:41
Chamber over Symphonic for me, at least in this case. Both emotionally and intellectually, both work together cognitively, UZ hits the spot for me.

I do like Yes considerably, especially for the early albums (I rate the first two Yes albums higher than many), and Fragile was one of my very favourite albums when I was a teenager, but Univers Zero has been more important to me over the past past 12 or so years.

For me, Univers Zero has been one of the most consistently good bands across its career. I started with Heresie, which didn't click with me immediately. I then got Ceux du Dehors, which clciked in a big way. Later, I really fell for 1313, which I would call my particular favourite by UZ now. I have enjoyed all of UZ's albums, and managed to turn one person who disliked UZ onto the band by exposing that person to UZED-- I wouldn't recommend Heresie as the jumping off point for most into Symphonic Prog as later more rock albums might appeal more.

As for importance (I vote preference as the poll question is "vote for your favourite"), Yes is more important to Symphonic Prog, Prog generally and classic rock, but Univers Zero is more important to Rock in Opposition and Chamber Rock. Both bands have influenced many other bands -- Yes being a much bigger commercial success, Yes much more so.

My vote is not one made out of a sense of arrogance, and says nothing about one being better than the other. I tend to dislike it when people make such claims. Some days I would rather listen to Yes, and if Univers Zero was up against the musically related Art Zoyd, I would vote for Art Zoyd, as Art Zoyd is a band that really speaks to "my heart",and is my traditional favourite band in PA.

So in sum, I appreciate both bands, but Univers Zero is more important to me these days than Yes. UZ has remained interesting to me over its 40 plus year career. I would also say that the avant-garde is very important to Progressive Rock's formation and continuation -- not just with bands included in RIO/ Avant Prog. King Crimson, for instance, pushed experimentation, so did the early psych bands that influenced Prog, many other too, and many bands were influenced by avant-garde composers. Classic Prog often was about pushing the boundaries of what rock could be.

Like many others, I have a wide range of tastes, and that's one reason why I like the Prog umbrella -- it covers such diverse music with a wide range of influences. I don't see why there is not space for diversity at this site when Prog lends itself to diversity (diversity is in its nature).

Edited by Logan - October 28 2018 at 10:32
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2018 at 09:42
^^ At the US/CAN border in 2020!!

We'll have to stop all this cannabis smoke to enter our land!

Edited by Barbu - October 28 2018 at 09:42
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YESESIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2018 at 09:46
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

baby steps darlin'....  the revelation is still going on.. plenty of time to take control and send the remaining 'prog fan' to reeducation camps.. or simply put them against the wall.... remember.. until a few years ago I was 'that guy' who dismissed that progressive stuff as tuneless and talentless.

Oh, where can I attend one of these reeducation camps? That sounds like it might be fun, and meet some new people. 
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2018 at 09:48
oh it would be a riot wouldn't it be... let me tell you....you ain't lived until you have Auntie Raff lecture you about rio/avant while clad in leather and brandishing a whip....
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2018 at 12:56
To suggest that emotion has nothing to do with intellect is post modernist bullsh*t of the highest order. Human beings have no soul no Cartesian theatre in the brain. Mickey, has revealed himself to be a religious sh*t for brains. Who thinks that he has a spirit...hahaha...
GrafHaarschnitt View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GrafHaarschnitt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2018 at 14:13
Originally posted by M27Barney M27Barney wrote:

To suggest that emotion has nothing to do with intellect is post modernist bullsh*t of the highest order. Human beings have no soul no Cartesian theatre in the brain. Mickey, has revealed himself to be a religious sh*t for brains. Who thinks that he has a spirit...hahaha...

Not quite sure if you´re serious or not, but I think you should mark your sarcasm if you sarcasm it. And I do think we agreed that intellect can be part of emotion, but shouldn´t stand above it. And if it´s post modernism, why do you care, what against post modernism. I am getting angry my friend. very angry (sarcasm)
HackettFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HackettFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2018 at 18:45
Univers Zero
A curse upon the heads of those who seek their fortunes in a lie. The truth is always waiting when there's nothing left to try. - Colin Henson, Jade Warrior (Now)
Morningrise View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morningrise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2018 at 20:32
Poll's over. Yes advances to semifinals. Final score: 27-16
Mormegil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mormegil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2018 at 06:24
Yes, by a mile.
Welcome to the middle of the film.
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2018 at 07:23
Very respectable result for the Belgians... this was always only going one way but some others would've been hammered much harder.
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2018 at 10:13
Originally posted by GrafHaarschnitt GrafHaarschnitt wrote:

Originally posted by M27Barney M27Barney wrote:

Not quite sure if you´re serious or not, but I think you should mark your sarcasm if you sarcasm it. And I do think we agreed that intellect can be part of emotion, but shouldn´t stand above it. And if it´s post modernism, why do you care, what against post modernism. I am getting angry my friend. very angry (sarcasm)

Post modernism basically preaches that all points of view are of equal merit regardless of veracity. For subjective opinion that is possibly correct. But for objective analysis it is clearly wrong. Science has made great strides in the area of the brain. The experts have dismantelled the idea of Cartesian theatricals where the ID controls the brain. We are nothing but a series of algorithms that simulate the feeling of ID. My musical taste algorithms are returning true for digging yes. But false for digging UZ....
Dopeydoc View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dopeydoc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2018 at 16:29
Yes, so far above
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2020 at 12:33
Yes
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2023 at 01:37
YES were always likely to win this poll in my Prog Univers, but I wonder who went on to win the Prog World Cup? Ermm
Octopus II View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Octopus II Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2023 at 02:26
Yes Smile
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123