Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What is the worst album you've heard

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 16>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2018 at 02:49
Originally posted by rogerthat rogerthat wrote:

Btw, LOL @ Permanent Lapse of Reason.

read the title of my review on the album Wink
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2018 at 03:05
LOL
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2018 at 05:23
Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

Originally posted by rogerthat rogerthat wrote:

Btw, LOL @ Permanent Lapse of Reason.

read the title of my review on the album Wink

I might just have to do that.. the only thing holding me back from unleashed the review of reviews on that sh*t stain of an album is a) procuring it again.. and b) listening to it again. For doing so sort of lessens the story of the last listen being interrupted when I hit eject and threw it out the window in the middle of traffic on I-395
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2018 at 13:11
"One doesn't have to be a Waters fan to understand the 1987 issue is an excellent example of how important one band member can be, especially a mover & shaker like RW. The tension is gone, everything works smoothly, and that's a real shame. There is also a tangible lack of lyrical depth replaced by an easier, formulaic verse. I mean when you're rhyming "love" and "glove" maybe it's time for some soul-searching, if only out of courtesy. The overall impression is that of a cold, well-oiled machine: a dreadnought that could punch out all the modern, ironic spacerock you want 24 hours a day if you let it. It's not a pretty picture, and is itself consumed by the very post-apocalyptic visions it feeds upon. Worse is the feeling we're hearing an imitation, a cruel pun, New Coke."

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
irrelevant View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irrelevant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2018 at 18:30
I'm not a big fan of AMLOR but The Division Bell is definitely one of my favourite PF albums. The problem with AMLOR for me is the melodies on most of the songs are just sh*t. Dull, monotonous, nothingness at worst and decent at best, but that's like, two songs. 

RYM currently has 'melodic' as the second descriptor for the album...

But hey I'll take that album over The Final Cut.  
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2018 at 18:51
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2018 at 20:04
Originally posted by irrelevant irrelevant wrote:

I'm not a big fan of AMLOR but The Division Bell is definitely one of my favourite PF albums. The problem with AMLOR for me is the melodies on most of the songs are just sh*t. Dull, monotonous, nothingness at worst and decent at best, but that's like, two songs. 

<span style="line-height: 18.2000007629395px;">RYM currently has 'melodic' as the second descriptor for the album...</span>
<span style="line-height: 18.2000007629395px;">
</span>
<span style="line-height: 18.2000007629395px;">But hey I'll take that album over The Final Cut.  </span>

Actually, I do like post Waters Floyd. Of course, they did their best with Waters, and they do sound more lite, for me The Division Bell is also one of my favourites. As for AMLOR, it is definitley weaker, but it still has some great moments; I particularly love "On the Turning Away" and "Yet another Movie" (though mostly on their live version), as well as Terminal Frost. I do like this direction of Floyd better than The Wall and The Final Cut, actually (even if mellower and with less bite. One thing I don't understand is, so much dislike towards this phase of Floyd, yet Comfrotably Numb is one of the very favourite songs from the band, and they (Gilmour) did follow that route on these next albums... and yeah, I know falling into the trap of following formulas is not a good idea, but I honestly think many of those songs live up to the quality of it.
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2018 at 23:35
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

"One doesn't have to be a Waters fan to understand the 1987 issue is an
excellent example of how important one band member can be, especially a mover & shaker like RW. The
tension is gone, everything works smoothly, and that's a real shame. There is also a tangible lack
of lyrical depth replaced by an easier, formulaic verse. I mean when you're rhyming "love" and
"glove" maybe it's time for some soul-searching, if only out of courtesy. The overall impression is
that of a cold, well-oiled machine: a dreadnought that could punch out all the modern, ironic
spacerock you want 24 hours a day if you let it. It's not a pretty picture, and is itself consumed
by the very post-apocalyptic visions it feeds upon. Worse is the feeling we're hearing an
imitation, a cruel pun, New Coke."

That prompted me to read your entire work. Brilliant, thanks!
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2018 at 23:47
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

Originally posted by irrelevant irrelevant wrote:

<span style="line-height: 18.2000007629395px;">RYM currently has 'melodic' as the second descriptor for the album...</span>
<span style="line-height: 18.2000007629395px;">
</span>
<span style="line-height: 18.2000007629395px;">But hey I'll take that album over The Final Cut.  </span>

Actually, I do like post Waters Floyd. Of course, they did their best with Waters, and they do sound more lite, for me The Division Bell is also one of my favourites. As for AMLOR, it is definitley weaker, but it still has some great moments; I particularly love "On the Turning Away" and "Yet another Movie" (though mostly on their live version), as well as Terminal Frost. I do like this direction of Floyd better than The Wall and The Final Cut, actually (even if mellower and with less bite. One thing I don't understand is, so much dislike towards this phase of Floyd, yet Comfrotably Numb is one of the very favourite songs from the band, and they (Gilmour) did follow that route on these next albums... and yeah, I know falling into the trap of following formulas is not a good idea, but I honestly think many of those songs live up to the quality of it.

Well, for one, I don't think a single Gilmour solo from those albums matches the first one in Comfortably Numb and I do count there the very fine coda of Poles Apart. Stuff like Coming Back To Life sounds more like Eric Gilmour/David Clapton to me. But that apart, even if suppose the direction of Comfortably Numb was being followed, the lyrical weight is gone, as summed up by David. Neither the sonic adventurism of the early Floyd nor the weight of Waters Floyd remain and that is why, at least to me, both albums feel fluffy.
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irrelevant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2018 at 01:56
I'll take decent music with sh*tty lyrics over sh*tty music with great lyrics any day. IMO there was some real rubbish on The Wall and I can't bring myself to ever listen to The Final Cut again. Perfect examples of what can go wrong for concept albums. 

Anyways my vote goes to Gilmour solo over Waters solo! 
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2018 at 03:44
I gave up on TFC a while ago, it's a waste of time. I don't even like The Wall much, even less the leftovers from it. AMLOR has some great songs but TDB is their best since Animals.

I don't think anyone mentioned Mike Oldfield's Earth Moving. I'm very forgiving when it comes to his work but this is just terrible.
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irrelevant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2018 at 04:06
Originally posted by Meltdowner Meltdowner wrote:

TDB is their best since Animals.

Definite agree there Clap
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2018 at 05:06
I don't believe they have a best since Animals, just varying degrees of mediocrity.  
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2018 at 07:52
Totally different topic we've drifted into, but I will take Wall over TDB every day of the week.  Sure, Wall has so many turds it's like trying to avoid landmines but its highs are incredible.  Waters brought some necessary madness to the proceedings via One of My Turns/Don't Leave Me Now.  Mother, Comfortably Numb, Is There Anybody Out There, even Brick in the Wall all have topnotch songwriting.  I don't see TDB as being anywhere close to that level and that it's more agreeably consistent is imo part of the problem with the album.  I would take it over TFC but that's not much of a ringing endorsement and one could argue that it suggests Waters wasn't too remiss in deciding TFC as the nadir and the moment when the band ought to break up. 
progaardvark View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progaardvark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2018 at 10:58
Constipated vocals? One would think this being a talent actually. How many of you can make your anuses sing?
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2018 at 12:03
Wow, what do you folks have against PF's AMLOR? It's certainly not their best but I'll take it over a few of their albums(including the final cut). 

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - November 12 2018 at 12:03
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2018 at 13:17
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

Wow, what do you folks have against PF's AMLOR? It's certainly not their best but I'll take it over a few of their albums(including the final cut). 
I don't know about other folks but I just think its (really) boring
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2018 at 13:18
Originally posted by Meltdowner Meltdowner wrote:

I don't think anyone mentioned Mike Oldfield's Earth Moving. I'm very forgiving when it comes to his work but this is just terrible.

Quite poor indeed. Worth listening every once in a while for a good laugh and the excellent guitar solos though.
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2018 at 13:45
Originally posted by progaardvark progaardvark wrote:

Constipated vocals? One would think this being a talent actually. How many of you can make your anuses sing?
Everyone can to a certain extent. Anyway I kind of got it from here.

Hrychu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hrychu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2018 at 17:49
Oh. Almost forgot! Pretty much anything by Soniq Theatre is IMHO bland mass produced soulless garbage.
Bez pierdolenia sygnał zerwie, to w realia wychodź w hełmie!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 16>