Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Favourite Steven Wilson Solo Studio Album.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Poll Question: Why solo album from Steven Wilson do you prefer, and why?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
3 [5.17%]
9 [15.52%]
33 [56.90%]
10 [17.24%]
3 [5.17%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2018 at 04:47
To the Bone... first solo album he did which I thought was remotely interesting to listen to...  in fact.. I really liked it.
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2018 at 05:13
^ Sorry Micky - but you obviously prefer Commercial music...........(as long as it’s GOOD commercial music ....
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2018 at 05:18
I just like good music...  commercial or uncommercial
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
stewe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stewe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2018 at 09:06
To the Bone, being most consistent and with integrity imo. As for Raven (and to certain extent GfD and HCE), if I haven't known the music of prog giants I would probably like it more. I can hear too much ripping-off, Yes (Siberian Khatru mellotrons, Roundabout intro), Genesis (Can-Utility..., Anyway) being the most obvious... He utilizes (great) musicians playing mercenary roles in order to get technical edge over PT including a lot of pointlessly self-indulgent soloing, and result is to a large extent way much calculated and somewhat soulless to my ears.

<a href="http://steveer.ic.cz" rel="nofollow"
tboyd1802 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tboyd1802 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2018 at 16:40
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

To the Bone... first solo album he did which I thought was remotely interesting to listen to...  in fact.. I really liked it.

To quote a line from one of my favorite movies - Inconceivable!  Smile
He neither drank, smoked, nor rode a bicycle. Living frugally, saving his money, he died early, surrounded by greedy relatives. It was a great lesson to me -- John Barrymore
Mellotron Storm View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mellotron Storm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2018 at 18:03
Originally posted by Kotro Kotro wrote:

Insurgentes still sounds to me like the most original and fresh-sounding thing he put out under his name. The only album of his I would rank as high as my favourite PT albums.

Pretty much this.
"The wind is slowly tearing her apart"

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2018 at 22:42
Originally posted by Finnforest Finnforest wrote:

Originally posted by Jeffro Jeffro wrote:

I wonder what some of the Wilson solo albums would sound like if they had the PT line-up as fully involved bandmates, working the songs up in a collaborative fashion.  Would that make them better or not?  

SW himself has said that he felt Porcupine Tree had run its course and that he wanted to explore musical styles that the other members of PT weren't interested in exploring or playing. 

Right. But I was wondering this as a hypothetical, assuming all members were still very interested in being a band.  Were that still the case, how would the material on the solo albums have fared?  Certainly different, but would they be better, more  satisfying, more interesting albums?

I don't think Porcupine Tree would have been able to pull off Grace for Drowning and The Raven, which are my favourites from his solo albums. The others, maybe, with some adjustments (except for a few tracks on Hand).
Jeffro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeffro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2018 at 04:56

I wonder what some of the Wilson solo albums would sound like if they had the PT line-up as fully involved bandmates, working the songs up in a collaborative fashion.  Would that make them better or not?  

SW himself has said that he felt Porcupine Tree had run its course and that he wanted to explore musical styles that the other members of PT weren't interested in exploring or playing. 

Right. But I was wondering this as a hypothetical, assuming all members were still very interested in being a band.  Were that still the case, how would the material on the solo albums have fared?  Certainly different, but would they be better, more  satisfying, more interesting albums?

Yeah, I like the PT lineup too but he's worked with some really fine musician since then. I think you might be (unfairly perhaps?) discounting some of those excellent musicians he's worked with post PT. 
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2018 at 07:21

Yeah, I like the PT lineup too but he's worked with some really fine musician since then. I think you might be (unfairly perhaps?) discounting some of those excellent musicians he's worked with post PT. 

I certainly do not discount their technical playing talents. They all sound like they possess fine chops.  It's just that the finished result that I'm listening to does not move me or appeal to me to the degree the PT band output does. Whether that is because of the base material/songwriting or the execution choices Wilson made, I'm not sure. But, no, I do not discount the the talents of the solo band folks. 

Jeffro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeffro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2018 at 08:04

I certainly do not discount their technical playing talents. They all sound like they possess fine chops.  It's just that the finished result that I'm listening to does not move me or appeal to me to the degree the PT band output does. Whether that is because of the base material/songwriting or the execution choices Wilson made, I'm not sure. But, no, I do not discount the the talents of the solo band folks. 

Fair enough. I think one thing he had going for him in PT was (mostly) a consistent lineup, while his solo stuff features more of a mix of musicians. There are pros and cons to both approaches. 
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2018 at 09:18
Clearly Raven...Grace has some good parts...his last is poo doosh by comparison as would seem to be the concensus. Micky would vote for "Arrival" but it aint on the list....
twalsh View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twalsh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2018 at 16:20
Raven wins but HCE is very close.  All the other recordings have some pretty great tracks but are not near as consistent IMO.
More heavy prog, please!
Jeffro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeffro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2018 at 05:37
I've been giving Insurgentes and Grace more of a listen. Insurgentes is a little too droney for me but I like a couple songs. Grace, on the other hand, is impressing me. Hand and Raven are still my one and two but Grace might be three. To The Bone also has some cool songs but I need to revisit it.
iluvmarillion View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iluvmarillion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2018 at 20:31
Originally posted by Manuel Manuel wrote:

I really like Steven Wilson's work, except for "To The Bone" which somehow does not resonate with me. I'll give my vote to "Hand Cannot Erase" but it could be either of the others, except for the one I mentioned.

That really poppy song, is it "Permanating" off "To The Bone"? I don't like that, but the other music off "To The Bone" comes off really well when he plays it live.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2018 at 08:04
Hi,

Only have one of those albums, and am familiar with some of the new stuff due to the concert and such, but have not given the other material a listen and won't vote until I do, finances willing!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Cylli Kat View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cylli Kat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2018 at 10:19
My vote is for any that I haven't heard...
DRAT!!!
I've heard them all...

I'm sorry, I just don't get what all of you are hearing, but anything Steven Wilson is involved in, I find it doesn't resonate with me at all.

And it should; he's working with one of, if not the world's greatest living guitarist (since the passing of Maestro Allan Holdsworth) Guthrie Govan. And there's also other folks that I communicate with and am certainly a fan of their work like Nick Beggs and Marco Minneman...

And yet, and yet...

I just can't catch the groove...
[Insert Clever Phrase Here]
twalsh View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twalsh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2018 at 13:30
Have to admit, To the Bone is really growing on me.  I guess the change took getting used to, and it's not so close to my musical 'sweet spot.'  The lighter stuff have been slower growers for me, but love To The Bone, Same Asylum, And People Who Eat Darkness.  Nowhere Now is lovely.  I like the build-up in both Refuge and Detonation (he jazzed up the latter really nicely in concert).  The only song I really don't like is Permanating!  Overall, the release isn't as heavy as my ear like, but it's a solid listen.
More heavy prog, please!
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2018 at 14:16
I think that Wilson would be capable of producing the symphonic prog epic that would rival the FKS or The Tangent. But I feel that he is frightened of being dubbed derivative. I think Raven is as close as he will ever get...
Dopeydoc View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dopeydoc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2018 at 15:34
The Raven.
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slartibartfast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2018 at 09:07
Man I'm having a hard time deciding...
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>