Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

demon for crossover / eclectic prog / neo-prog

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: demon for crossover / eclectic prog / neo-prog
    Posted: December 09 2018 at 15:45
pick a subgenre for suggestion, because PA does not have multiple ones (like MMA). And then wait for results. 

maybe prog-related, a moderator may be necessary for that. 

TheH View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2018 at 14:44
^^

I would say Genesis are 50/50, I would give MMEB 1 real Prog album and two related ones.

But what about I Pooh, 31 albums listed here and just 3 albums with slight Prog elements
(not even one full Prog album)
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2018 at 11:51
Originally posted by TheH TheH wrote:

NWOBPR = New Wave of British Progressive Rock

I still use this term to separate the interesting early New Prog from the boring Neo Prog of nowadays.

If the Prog part of the discography is a criteria you should delete Genesis and Manfred Mann's Earth Band
(and lots of others) from the database...

both MMEB and Genesis have more prog albums than pop, so, no... Big smile
TheH View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2018 at 11:23
NWOBPR = New Wave of British Progressive Rock

I still use this term to separate the interesting early New Prog from the boring Neo Prog of nowadays.

If the Prog part of the discography is a criteria you should delete Genesis and Manfred Mann's Earth Band
(and lots of others) from the database...
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2018 at 10:36
Originally posted by aprusso aprusso wrote:

Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

hard rock and heavy metal

if they have a prog side or at least influences, give us some links because I've heard of this band and I know them as hard'n'heavy/NWOBHM. 

In my proposal I’ve added a few references – you can easily check them out in Youtube. However, the whole ‘The Plague’, ‘British Standard Approved’ and ‘Heart of our Times’ albums are no less (neo)prog than many other NWOBPR of the same period

NWOBPR? is it what I think it means? (new wave of British progressive rock? aka neo-prog?). I've never seen this term used. 

If you think the neo-prog team should look into this band, than ok I guess. They have a big discography it seems, and if just 3 albums are neo-prog, I don't know what to say, don't think they would get added...Ermm
aprusso View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aprusso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2018 at 10:13
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

if they have a prog side or at least influences, give us some links because I've heard of this band and I know them as hard'n'heavy/NWOBHM. 

In my proposal I’ve added a few references – you can easily check them out in Youtube. However, the whole ‘The Plague’, ‘British Standard Approved’ and ‘Heart of our Times’ albums are no less (neo)prog than many other NWOBPR of the same period

TheH View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2018 at 07:58
British Standard Approved  is full blown Pink Floydish Neo Prog

The Plague is a concept albums with lots of Neo Prog elements

They are a in between NWOBHM and NWOBPR band as are Omega (U.K.) and Kooga
Windhawk View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Windhawk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2018 at 05:31
A few that shies a little bit away from trad hard rock/metal at least:

New Ground - from British Standard Approved - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PqZAyXkVjqw
The Plague - from The Plague - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qEYm1anvavQ

Others can probably chime in with more and possibly better examples.
Websites I work with:

http://www.progressor.net
http://www.houseofprog.com

My profile on Mixcloud:
https://www.mixcloud.com/haukevind/
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2018 at 04:41

aprusso View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aprusso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2018 at 04:19

BAND INFORMATION: DEMON

A short paragraph with your reasons why this band should be added

Although generally filed up with the ‘New Wave of British Heavy Metal’ bands and classic metal bands and largely linked to this scene, Demon introduced consistently ‘proggy’ elements to their music throughout their long history, and in 1983-1986, the heyday of the ‘New-prog’ season in the UK, they published a triplet of Albums, starting with the great ‘The Plague’, which stand well together with other bands of the period, especially Twelfth Night and Saga, coupling metal and new wave elements with a distinct symphonic twist and politically-charged lyrics.

Artist/band biography (usually found on their web site)

Demon is an English hard rock/heavy metal/progressive rock group, formed in 1979 by vocalist Dave Hill and guitarist Mal Spooner, both hailing from Leek, Staffordshire. They are considered an important band in the new wave of British heavy metal movement.

The original line-up was completed by Les Hunt (lead guitar), Chris Ellis (bass guitar) and John Wright (drums). The band were signed by Mike Stone's Clay Records in 1980 and licensed to Carrere Records to join their stable of metal bands. Their debut album, Night of the Demon, was released in 1981. After their 1982 follow-up album, The Unexpected Guest, the band experimented beyond the NWOBHM sound and moved the band in a more melodic direction whilst still retaining the more traditional heavy metal black magic lyrical style.

In 1983 Demon took a change in direction. The Plague marked a swing towards a more progressive sound, adding the keyboards of session musician Andy Richards to the album's sound. Lyrically the band also changed direction, switching to a more overtly political style that was to characterise their albums for the rest of their career. The following album, the Pink Floyd influenced British Standard Approved (1984), released on the small independent Clay label, was not a huge commercial success, and with the death of Mal Spooner later that year, it appeared that the band would soon fold. At this point, the band had recruited a permanent keyboard player and co-songwriter in Steven Watts.

The following release Heart of Our Time (1985) showed that the remaining members of the band were determined to continue, and it was the start of a new songwriting partnership between Hill and Watts. Although the album is regarded as the weakest of the bands releases, it paved the way for the critically acclaimed Breakout (1987) and its follow-up Taking the World by Storm (1988). The band would go on to release two more albums in the 1990s: 1991's Hold onto the Dream and 1992's Blow Out, before splitting up in 1992 which, according to singer and founding member Dave Hill, was because of fatigue.

Hill reunited the band with new members in 2001, and released a new album called Spaced Out Monkey. The band has since gone onto release a further three albums: Better the Devil You Know (2005), Unbroken (2012) and their latest release Cemetery Junction, which was released on 28 October 2016. All of the bands post reunion releases have received positive reviews from the press leading the band to go on and play many festivals across Europe Including Bang Your Head festival and Sweden Rock the band also toured with Magnum singer Bob Catley in 2005.

(Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demon_(band))

Country

UK

Prog genre (This may be subject to change by PA staff)

Eclectic prog? Neo-prog?

Artist picture

Official Website

http://the-demon.com/

Discography (In a List style not in a Paragraph, Include line up and Year of release)

Studio albums

·         Night of the Demon (1981)

·         The Unexpected Guest (1982) – UK No. 47

·         The Plague (1983) – UK No. 73 [5]

·         British Standard Approved (1985)

·         Heart of Our Time (1985)

·         Breakout (1987)

·         Taking the World by Storm (1989)

·         Hold on to the Dream (1991)

·         Blow-out (1992)

·         Spaced out Monkey (2001)

·         Better the Devil You Know (2005)[6]

·         Unbroken (2012)

·         Cemetery Junction (2016)

Live albums / compilations

·         One Helluva Night (live) (1990)

·         Anthology (1991)

·         The best of Demon Volume one (1999)

·         The Time Has Come - Best of Demon (2006)

Videos

·         The Unexpected Guest Tour - Live At Tiffany's 1982 (2008)

·         Up Close And Personal! Live In Germany 2006 (2009)

Members

Current members

Dave Hill – lead vocals (1979–1992, 2001–present)

Ray Walmsley – bass (2012–present), guitars (1997–2011)

Karl Waye – keyboards (2001, 2012–present)

Neil Ogden – drums, percussion (2002–present)

David Cotterill – guitars (2007–present)

Paul Hume – guitars (2012–present)

Past members

Paul Riley – bass (1979–1980)

John Wright – drums, percussion (1979–1987)

Clive Cook – guitars (1979–1980)

Mal Spooner – guitars (1979–1984; died in 1984)

Les Hunt – bass (1981), guitars (1981–1983)

Chris Ellis – bass (1982–1983)

Gavin Sutherland – bass (1984–1985)

Steve Watts – keyboards (1984–1991)

John Waterhouse – guitars (1985–1992)

Andy Dale – bass (1987–1988, 1997–2011)

Nick Bushell – bass (1988–1991)

Scott Crawford – drums (1988–1991)

Steve Brookes – guitars (1988–1992, 1997–2001)

Mike Thomas – bass (1992)

Paul Rosscrow – drums, percussion (1992)

John Cotterill – drums, percussion (2001)

Duncan Hansell – keyboards (2001)

Karl Finney – guitars (2003–2005)

Tim Read – guitars (2005–2007)

Paul Farrington – keyboards (2002–2012)

Paul Johnson – bass (2011–2012)

A group (5) of MP3 that give the best overview of bands sound in 128 bit stereo,mp3

[sent separately as a GDRIVE link]

-          Fever in the City (from ‘The Plague’ 1983)

-          Hemispheres (from ‘British Standard Approved’ 1984)

-          Expressing the heart (from ‘Heart of our times’ 1985)

-          Don’t break the circle (from ‘The unexpected guest’ 1982)

-          Life on the wire (from ‘A Helluva Night (live)’ 1990)

Post Reply Post Reply