Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway...
    Posted: January 10 2019 at 02:24
Back on a Genesis kick, and I've been spinning this one in the car for the past week. This album truly is timeless. Even though Foxtrot and SEBT usually get the spotlight, this album really is something special. It's instantly caught in my head, and I find myself humming Gabriel's lyrical melodies all day.

What are some of your favorite parts of this timeless prog record? Smile

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
Quinino View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Quinino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2019 at 02:40
Almost everything, really, but Fly on a windshield sometimes gets a second spin

(although I prefer to enjoy the whole album without interruptions or skips)
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2019 at 03:47
Carpet Crawlers is my favourite from the album.
hellogoodbye View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hellogoodbye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2019 at 03:58
Not really listen to the big stars of prog anymore, excepted this album that still sounds fresh and modern to me. I like all of it.
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2019 at 04:20
Back in NYC is constantly in my head. Constantly. Arguably more so than any other Genesis song ever, including Supper's Ready.

"The call me the trail blazer - Rael - electric razor
I'm the pitcher in the chain gang, we don't believe in pain
'Cause we're only as strong, yes we're only as strong,
As the weakest link in the chain..."

someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote someone_else Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2019 at 04:22
My favourites are:

1. Riding the Scree
2. In the Cage 
3. The Colony of Slippermen.
4. Fly on a Windshield
5. The Chamber of 32 Doors
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blacksword Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2019 at 04:23
Love The Lamb.

It's jostling with A Trick of the Tail for top spot in my Genesis fave album list. There are plentiful moments of beauty on the album. Fly on a Windshield is sublime, as is Chamber of 32 Doors, The Lamia, Lilywhite Lillith, Silent Sorrow..I could go on. Classic Genesis and classic prog rock.
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
The Anders View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Anders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2019 at 06:15
No doubt it's a really good album. I probably even prefer it to Selling England By the Pound as it is more easily accesible musically, and probably more sonically interesting too. They kind of lose me on side 4 though.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2019 at 06:37
An absolute cracker of an album. Never gets old.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2019 at 07:21
Hi,

It's a great album and it deserved a stage show ... but I'm not sure that audiences (specially today) will enjoy some of the instrumental passages telling the story via film or visual ... that's just not prog enough because there ain't no lyrics telling them what it is and means!

WinkBig smile

Edited by moshkito - January 10 2019 at 07:21
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Argo2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argo2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2019 at 07:56
I recently got this on CD ( had it on vinyl back in the day)
 Lots of great tracks on this album.
 Some of my favs are In the Cage, Carpet Crawlers, Fly on the Windshield, Counting out Time, title track & It. ( Yes, I like It !)

Edited by Argo2112 - January 16 2019 at 12:27
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerinski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2019 at 09:52
Amazing album from start to finish, no fillers for me (not even The Waiting Room). Full of originality, with a really cool concept. Fly on a Windshield, In the Cage, Back in NYC, Carpet Crawlers, The Lamia, Chamber of 32 Doors, Lilywhite Lilyth, Riding the Scree... but even "lesser tracks" like Broadway Melody, The Grand Parade, Anyway, The light Lights Down on Broadway... are amazing. One of the top albums of all-time prog. 
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2019 at 10:06
Chamber of 32 Doors still sends shivers down my spine whenever I listen to it.
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
The.Crimson.King View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The.Crimson.King Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2019 at 10:58
Still love The Lamb as much as when I first bought it - on double cassette back in '77 LOL  Almost impossible not to think of it as a single piece of music in it's intended order, but if I had to rank my fave songs...

1) The Lamia
2) The Colony of Slippermen
3) The Grand Parade
4) The Supernatural Anaesthetist 
5) Fly on a Windshield/Broadway Melody 1974
6) In the Cage
7) Counting Out Time
8) The Carpet Crawlers
9) In the Rapids
10) Anyway

Quinino View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Quinino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2019 at 15:00
In 1994  Kevin Gilbert together with  Dan Hancock,  David Kerzner,  Stan Cotey and  Nick D'Virgilio recorded Live  at the Variety Arts Center, LA  during Progfest '94 the full (almost) album as a 20th anniv. tribute

You won't regret it - here below ! (notice DK's ARP Pro-Soloist Smile)

Edited by Quinino - January 10 2019 at 15:02
Squonk19 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Squonk19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2019 at 16:46
A truly great album, and although it rests just below Foxtrot and SEBTP in my affections, that is not to suggest it is not a prog masterpiece. As I stated in another fairly recent post, the album's synergy is its strength. The whole remains stronger than its individual parts and while the whole album is littered with classic moments (I'll highlight The Lamia/Silent Sorrow in Empty Boats, Carpet Crawlers and practically the whole of Side 1 as being very special) - none touch the likes of Supper's Ready, Firth of Fifth, The Musical Box, Cinema Show, Watcher of the Skies etc. as stand-alone tracks, in my humble opinion. The narrative and vocals obviously dominate, but the instrumentation is fantastic (has an instrumental-only version ever been created, maybe on YouTube etc., to show just how superb Hackett, Banks, Rutherford and Collins worked together?)

The album works best as one long, undulating and emotional journey, with light, shade, pathos and humour throughout. The Archives Box live recording is recommended listening too. It's not always easy finding the time for all 4 sides, but whenever I do, it rewards me without fail.

P.S. The Musical Box and Los Endos tribute bands do great justice to the album, as well.

Edited by Squonk19 - January 10 2019 at 16:50
“Living in their pools, they soon forget about the sea.”
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2019 at 17:23
Originally posted by Quinino Quinino wrote:

Almost everything, really, but Fly on a windshield sometimes gets a second spin

(although I prefer to enjoy the whole album without interruptions or skips)

This is me also......Brilliant album
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2019 at 17:51
Colony of Slippermen is stuck in my head all day.

All.

Day.

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2019 at 17:53
Originally posted by Squonk19 Squonk19 wrote:

A truly great album, and although it rests just below Foxtrot and SEBTP in my affections, that is not to suggest it is not a prog masterpiece. As I stated in another fairly recent post, the album's synergy is its strength. The whole remains stronger than its individual parts and while the whole album is littered with classic moments (I'll highlight The Lamia/Silent Sorrow in Empty Boats, Carpet Crawlers and practically the whole of Side 1 as being very special) - none touch the likes of Supper's Ready, Firth of Fifth, The Musical Box, Cinema Show, Watcher of the Skies etc. as stand-alone tracks, in my humble opinion. The narrative and vocals obviously dominate, but the instrumentation is fantastic (has an instrumental-only version ever been created, maybe on YouTube etc., to show just how superb Hackett, Banks, Rutherford and Collins worked together?)

The album works best as one long, undulating and emotional journey, with light, shade, pathos and humour throughout. The Archives Box live recording is recommended listening too. It's not always easy finding the time for all 4 sides, but whenever I do, it rewards me without fail.

P.S. The Musical Box and Los Endos tribute bands do great justice to the album, as well.

I completely understand what you mean in your post, and I agree. They are a very strong unit on Lamb, but the classic standalones are just that. Back in NYC and Colony of Slippermen are two of my all time fave Genesis tracks. So catchy.

Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2019 at 21:24
I guess it's a good album, but for me a step down from the previous ones... and even more, for me it's got no sublime songs as the best ones from Gabriel's era. If this is the direction Gabriel was going to take the band, then I guess I don't really regret him leaving at the time he did. It's sort of an equivalent to The Wall from Pink Floyd's discography, but yet I easily get more enjoyment out of that one.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>