0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slartibartfast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1983: What You May Have Missed
    Posted: January 13 2019 at 12:12
These are arranged chronologically by recorded date.  I decided not to overload this one and save some of jazzier stuff for another poll. Smile  You may notice a few at best choices that aren't on this site but I find them to crossover prog.  And I know more than a few you will agree LOL  I'm leaning to Frith but there are more than a few good choices here.

Edited by Slartibartfast - January 13 2019 at 12:15
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2019 at 12:45
Some very cool albums here. I'll have to go with King Crimson, but is a very good collection of albums. 
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2019 at 13:10
Mark Isham
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2019 at 13:44
Marillion out of these. 

IQ's album from 1983 is pretty great as well. Just as good as Script. 
TCat View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2019 at 13:46
There are some great albums here, and typically Frank Zappa would give some competition, but since "Thing-Fish" is the album from him that I despise the most, King Crimson's "Three of a Perfect Pair" takes the prize.

DarkTower View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DarkTower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2019 at 13:47
Marillion. Easy choice
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2019 at 13:50
I'm voting for Stomu Yamash'ta's Sea & Sky.
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slartibartfast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2019 at 14:04
I haven't really checked out IQ yet.  Not surprised the reaction to Thing-Fish.  You know Zappa did a pictorial for Hustler for that album.  It's verry strange.  That's one I got used and decided not to throw back.  Heheh  Rupert Hine is one that I bet a lot of people aren't familiar with.  His album Immunity came into the new/used book store I was working at in high school and I noticed Phil Collins was on it.  Plus the cover was interesting and that's what got me into him.

Edited by Slartibartfast - January 13 2019 at 14:20
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Dopeydoc View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dopeydoc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2019 at 14:58
Marillion, and Zanov (In course of time)
The.Crimson.King View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The.Crimson.King Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2019 at 16:10
3 of a Perfect Pair...definitely my fave of Crimso's 80's trilogy and my fave off this list.  Would've gone with IQ's Tales from the Lush Attic instead if it was here Wink
Chaser View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chaser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2019 at 16:43
Definitely Script
Songs cast a light on you
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2019 at 16:43
Almost voted for 3oaPP, but hey...why not vote for Scenario!
jamesbaldwin View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamesbaldwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2019 at 17:09
I haven't listened to half of the records on this list, so I don't vote for fairness. Among those I know, my preference goes to Marillion, because Crimson's TOAPP is perhaps the album I like least of that marvelous group. Police are close.

Glad to see Tears For Fears.

Other albums recorded in 1983 that I like:
Most of all:
Pink Floyd: The Final Cut and Tom Waits: Swordfishtrombones
Then:
REM: Murmur
The The: Soul Mining
Dylan: Infidels
McCartney: Pipes of Peace

Italians:
- Paolo Conte: homonym
- Guccini: Autogrill
- Fortis: Fragole infinite

Edited by jamesbaldwin - January 13 2019 at 17:17
"Happiness is real only when shared"
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2019 at 17:20
King Crimson - love the Discipline trilogy from beginning to end. 
Collaborator
Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slartibartfast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2019 at 17:27
With 20 choices in this poll I think it would be more meaningful to open this up to multiple votes.  What say ye all? Smile

Collaborator
Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slartibartfast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2019 at 17:50
More thought on these:  (BTW, keep the albums I might have missed coming Smile)
Speaking In Tongues was a bit of a letdown after Remain In Light, but I still liked it.  Just a bit less.
Marillion's Script was a very satisfying return to the form of old Genesis.  I quit following them after this one for no particular reason.  I had Grendel on tape along with the original album back in my early college months.  
The Fripp influence on Summers was what really got my attention drawn to Synchronicity.  It became another one of those albums that brings back early college memories.
Crisis?  What Crisis?  This one totally passed me by.  I didn't get a copy until 2003
Tears For Fears might not have go my attention were it no for my uncle Mark having The Hurting on CD.  Love the mellotron on it.
Ponty's album was another one that passed me by.
Now Mark Isham.  I was introduced to him with the soundtrack to Never Cry Wolf.  I would get my first synthesizer in 1984 and his work on that soundtrack and Vapor Drawings would be a big influence on my playing style.  I think I have a video that I put together on youtube I made with my Korg Poly 64 taped to cassette live and combined with some spacey video I had on VHS from PBS Smile
And then that awesome Eno ambient album.  Say no more.
Hine's album was a lot of synth pop but there's some crossover material on it too.  The Most Dangerous of Men comes to mind first.
Oh my gawd.  Frith's Cheap At Half The Price.  Such a great summary of what was wrong with this country at the time under the Reagan Regime.  
Some clouds don't some clouds don't  some clouds don't  some clouds don't have a silver lining.  Plus it was electric guitar and a casio keyboard in a home studio.  Kind of a mocking of synth pop.
More thoughts to follow.  And once again, the 80's weren't really a total wasteland.  We just couldn't really look back to the prog greats of the '70's with a few exceptions...

Edited by Slartibartfast - January 13 2019 at 17:51

Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2019 at 04:04
From this list, I only care for Script and Speaking In Tongues...
The rest, either I know (and don't care) or I don't (and from the looks of it, I don't care)

The best releases of that year according to moi (and bolded out are the ones I knew about back then):

Bacamarte Depois Do Fim

Marillion Script For a Jester's Tear

Violent Femmes Violent Femmes

Eskaton Fiction

Pink Floyd The Final Cut

Apsara Archives

Art Zoyd Les Espaces Inquiets

Dire Straits Alchemy

Etron Fou Leloublan Les Sillons de la Terre

Gabriel, Peter Plays Live

McLaughlin, John / Al Di Meola / Paco De Lucia Passion, Grace and Fire

Talking Heads Speaking In Tongues

Vaughan, Stevie Ray / Double Trouble Texas Flood

Von Zamla 1983

Edited by Sean Trane - January 14 2019 at 07:33
Mormegil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mormegil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2019 at 07:22
Going with Marillion here.
And, yes, Synchronicity kicked butt that year as well.
Welcome to the middle of the film.
digdug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote digdug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2019 at 08:51
Oldfield for me.... then Script
Prog On!
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2019 at 09:23
oh yeah.. easy vote... that Belew album is frickin great. and yeah. sh*ts all over Marillion...  

and Brian.. multiple votes are for pussies..
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>