13 [10.92%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2022 at 03:38
Bump! 
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2019 at 23:51
KC 
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
Ruby900 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ruby900 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2019 at 12:18
Tricky one - love Duke, Drama - but has to KC for me. Such an incredible album.
"I always say that it’s about breaking the rules. But the secret of breaking rules in a way that works is understanding what the rules are in the first place". Rick Wakeman
Fischman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fischman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2019 at 21:46
No way I'm not going with Moving Pictures, but I will take this opportunity to say how excellent and unfairly ignored A is.
maryes View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maryes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2019 at 08:10
Rush - Permanent Waves > Rush - Moving Pictures >  Yes - Drama ClapClapClap
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2019 at 18:47
Let's go with 'A'.
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2019 at 18:19
I discovered "the laser's edge" catalog in the summer of 89. Before that it was a rock encyclopedia, import music catalogs, the Episode mailing list(don't ask. Lol) and a guitar book that listed Robert Fripp and his band King Crimson(who I heard of anyway through a cousin who was into Yes and Genesis). I didn't discover wayside catalog until later. I suppose we should either get back on topic or take this conversation to pm land.
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2019 at 18:00
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

That's pretty low. You could be right. However, TD did a lot of soundtrack stuff in the 80's and even got a mention in a SNL skit. Also, when I went to to a festival in the late 80's that featured Springsteen, Sting and Peter Gabriel I distinctly remember seeing an attendee there wearing a Tangerine Dream t shirt. I was well into this stuff by then and that's something that you don't forget. Wink 

No doubt he attended the '88 Tower Theater gig in Philly. 

Could be. It was in 88 so you could be right. There were prog fans around back then but most people didn't know the underground stuff. I read rock books and found magazines that had listings for prog catalogs so I probably discovered stuff that many prog fans didn't know about until the internet. Also, I remember seeing a guy wearing a Fripp or League of Gentleman t shirt at a Al Dimeola and John Mclaughlin concert in 1989 in NYC and in 95 when I saw King Crimson at the Tower I saw a guy wearing an Ozric Tentacles t shirt. So there's always been people who find the "good stuff."

Pre-Net, I had to rely on word of mouth, Wayside Music's catalog and the UK zine Audion, along with the odd mention or review in mags like Keyboard and Musician. The latter had the funniest, and shortest, review I've ever seen; it was for Big Generator — "Just say no."
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2019 at 17:49

That's pretty low. You could be right. However, TD did a lot of soundtrack stuff in the 80's and even got a mention in a SNL skit. Also, when I went to to a festival in the late 80's that featured Springsteen, Sting and Peter Gabriel I distinctly remember seeing an attendee there wearing a Tangerine Dream t shirt. I was well into this stuff by then and that's something that you don't forget. Wink 

Could be. It was in 88 so you could be right. There were prog fans around back then but most people didn't know the underground stuff. I read rock books and found magazines that had listings for prog catalogs so I probably discovered stuff that many prog fans didn't know about until the internet. Also, I remember seeing a guy wearing a Fripp or League of Gentleman t shirt at a Al Dimeola and John Mclaughlin concert in 1989 in NYC and in 95 when I saw King Crimson at the Tower I saw a guy wearing an Ozric Tentacles t shirt. So there's always been people who find the "good stuff."

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - January 16 2019 at 17:51
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2019 at 17:46

http://www.voices-in-the-net.de/vitn_concerts.htm
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2019 at 17:45

And that's not arguing? It's classic era Priest but so is British Steel. Maybe in your opinion British Steel isn't "classic priest" but all those websites with ratings and rankings prove otherwise. 

I never said that. LOL

Ok, fair enough. You did say you didn't like it though.

Affirmative. Now who's not "arguing right"? LOL

That's cool. 90125 isn't my favorite Yes record even though it's the one that got me into them in the first place. We all have our favorites and yes it would be boring if we all liked the same thing. Nothing to fight about. LOL

Again, ditto. But it's held up a lot better than Talk, believe me.  

Not to me. I actually prefer talk(if mainly for Endless Dream). Then again I don't see it as a genuine Yes album in some ways. It should have been a Cinema album but once they got Jon on board they couldn't call it anything else. 

Yes, even I have to take a break from arguing. ;) I don't argue for the sake of arguing. Only when I disagree with someone. :P 

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - January 16 2019 at 17:46
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2019 at 17:42

I guess we are. I'll be pushing 50 pretty soon too(if I'm technically not already). We both possibly got into prog at a really weird time too(the 80's). How many other people first heard Larks tongues in Aspic when their neighbors were probably listening to Wham and Madonna or Licensed to Ill. :P 

I'll see your Crimson and raise you a Tangerine Dream, who I knew only via a film soundtrack (The Keep), their relevance as a progressive band only becoming apparent through meeting a guy in high school who was a fresh transfer from a few states away. I went to a rather large high school, and I wager fewer than 1% of the student body probably knew who or what a "Tangerine Dream" was. But we sure as hell tried to educate everyone. LOL

verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2019 at 17:40

And that's not arguing? It's classic era Priest but so is British Steel. Maybe in your opinion British Steel isn't "classic priest" but all those websites with ratings and rankings prove otherwise. 

I never said that. LOL

Ok, fair enough. You did say you didn't like it though.

Affirmative. Now who's not "arguing right"? LOL

That's cool. 90125 isn't my favorite Yes record even though it's the one that got me into them in the first place. We all have our favorites and yes it would be boring if we all liked the same thing. Nothing to fight about. LOL

Again, ditto. But it's held up a lot better than Talk, believe me.  
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2019 at 17:38

I never said that. LOL

Ok, fair enough. You did say you didn't like it though. That's cool. 90125 isn't my favorite Yes record even though it's the one that got me into them in the first place. We all have our favorites and yes it would be boring if we all liked the same thing. Nothing to fight about. LOL
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2019 at 17:35

I never said that. LOL
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2019 at 17:34

I guess we are. I'll be pushing 50 pretty soon too(if I'm technically not already). We both possibly got into prog at a really weird time too(the 80's). How many other people first heard Larks tongues in Aspic when their neighbors were probably listening to Wham and Madonna or Licensed to Ill. :P 

I'll see your Crimson and raise you a Tangerine Dream, who I knew only via a film soundtrack (The Keep), their relevance as a progressive band only becoming apparent through meeting a guy in high school who was a fresh transfer from a few states away. I went to a rather large high school, and I wager fewer than 1% of the student body probably knew who or what a "Tangerine Dream" was. But we sure as hell tried to educate everyone. LOL
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2019 at 17:30

I edited my above post to add more lists of Judas Priest albums. Check them out(especially if you want to continue arguing). :) 

I guess that's where you became confused. I was never "arguing." 

Then you aren't doing it right. LOL

Things are obviously black-and-white with you. I stated my opinions. But for argument's sake, you could pull up 100 sites to assert your prognosis that British Steel is a "better" album than Point of Entry, and it won't diminish the latter's status as "classic Priest" one iota, nor will it make your assessment of the former any less subjective. Wink

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - January 16 2019 at 17:33
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2019 at 17:27

I like some pop music. Not big into pop over all but some bands I think are good. U2 are one of the founders of alternative rock imo. They aren't one of my very, very favorite bands but I like them a lot. I'll admit part of it might have to do with my age. I was a teenager when they started to get really huge and decided to see what the fuss was about. I became a fan. I also like other bands from that era such as REM and Def Leppard. So sue me. :P

Same here. We're both fortysomethings, then. I simply don't like how U2 became the totem for "Irish rock" at the expense of Thin Lizzy and Horslips.

I'm not someone who equates prog with only bands they like. :P

Most people here don't do that, either. Wink

You'd be surprised. Maybe the people on here have matured though and I admit I haven't seen it lately.

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - January 16 2019 at 17:28
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2019 at 17:27

I edited my above post to add more lists of Judas Priest albums. Check them out(especially if you want to continue arguing). :) 

I guess that's where you became confused. I was never "arguing." 

Then you aren't doing it right. LOL

Things are obviously black-and-white with you. I stated my opinions. But for argument's sake, you could pull up 100 sites to assert your prognosis that British Steel is a "better" album than Point of Entry, and it won't diminish the latter's status as "classic Priest" one iota, nor will it make your assessment of the former any less subjective. Wink
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2019 at 17:21

I like some pop music. Not big into pop over all but some bands I think are good. U2 are one of the founders of alternative rock imo. They aren't one of my very, very favorite bands but I like them a lot. I'll admit part of it might have to do with my age. I was a teenager when they started to get really huge and decided to see what the fuss was about. I became a fan. I also like other bands from that era such as REM and Def Leppard. So sue me. :P

Same here. We're both fortysomethings, then. I simply don't like how U2 became the totem for "Irish rock" at the expense of Thin Lizzy and Horslips.

I'm not someone who equates prog with only bands they like. :P

Most people here don't do that, either. Wink
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>