Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Music and Musicians Exchange
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Musicians, your bass thoughts please

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davesax1965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Musicians, your bass thoughts please
    Posted: January 18 2019 at 06:15
Epiphone Thunderbird Vintage bass. 

Any musicians got an opinion on them ? Is the neck dive as bad as I imagine it might be ? ;-)

chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2019 at 07:10
I don't know about the Thunderbird but I have an Epiphone Viola and that does have a bit of neck dive, although not enough to be a problem. There have been some for sale in a Bass For Sale FB group that I'm in and there was no mention of neck dive, one person seemed to be very much in love with them.
Worth having a rummage on BassChat or somewhere like that to gauge opinion.
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2019 at 07:30
Always cook it on the bone! Takes the flavour of the fish to the next level
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Davesax1965 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davesax1965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2019 at 06:41
Thanks, folks. I'll give one a try later. The only practical alternative - "see if it fits". ;-)

Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Icarium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2019 at 23:53
I have a bass thought

How to create/make the bass have more of that post-punk tone. I want to understand that. What elements is important to craft a good post-punk bass sound.
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2019 at 02:31
In my personal opinion, both Gibson and Epiphone make some very high quality, amazing sounding - but unfortunately very uncomfortable to play - bass guitars.

This is just personal preference but everything outside high end Ibanez boutique basses, everything feels like a brick with strings to me lol.

Play it for yourself!

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
Vompatti View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vompatti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2019 at 02:46
Originally posted by Icarium Icarium wrote:

I have a bass thought

How to create/make the bass have more of that post-punk tone. I want to understand that. What elements is important to craft a good post-punk bass sound.
Chorus pedal?
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2019 at 03:11
Originally posted by Vompatti Vompatti wrote:

I have a bass thought

Chorus pedal?

Chorus, maybe a little reverb thrown in, and play with a pick close to the bridge itself.

Davesax1965 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davesax1965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2019 at 06:08
Also try and unlearn all music principles you might have picked up over the years. ;-)

Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Icarium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2019 at 14:33
Thanks
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2019 at 15:50
Have you seen that Geddy Lee has released a Big Beautiful Book of Bass that apparently has really good pictures and info on many bass guitars and interviews with a number of bass guitar players?  I've read a couple of reviews on the book and it sounds quite heavy, but quite interesting.
Magmatt View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magmatt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2019 at 13:13
If you get a chance to watch the live Rush R-40 video - Geddy pulls out a T-Bird and you can hear it alongside his Fenders and Ricks. I was totally impressed with the T-Bird. I play both a Rickenbacker and a Jazz bass and I am finding those rounder tones like the T-Bird and Precision more and more interesting.
Geddy goes direct so the bass sounds are really the bass themselves, not as much a tone stack of amps and effects.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2019 at 01:52
Originally posted by rushfan4 rushfan4 wrote:

Have you seen that Geddy Lee has released a Big Beautiful Book of Bass that apparently has really good pictures and info on many bass guitars and interviews with a number of bass guitar players?  I've read a couple of reviews on the book and it sounds quite heavy, but quite interesting.

Said book is a fantastic collectors item, but it's most certainly not a be-all-end-all encyclopedia on bass guitar by any means.

Great for Fender fans, not so much for anyone else.

I'd actually suggest a Google search/Quaroa/Forum questions over that book for a beginner looking to check out bass.

Magmatt View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magmatt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2019 at 14:55

I have a bass thought

What song or what bassist embodies this tone?
I have found over the years that you can cop a lot of different tones and feel with amp setups and playing styles.

AZF View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AZF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2019 at 03:44
Don't begrudge Geddy for creating that book, but from the sound of it, it's not
"The Rock Bass Manual" by Hugh Hopper.
Now there's a book that's really enjoyable from start to finish.
 Post Reply Post Reply