Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Synthwave and Retro Electronic

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Synthwave and Retro Electronic
    Posted: February 03 2019 at 10:05
This topic probably will not get much attention here, and Synthwave is not one that I've explored that much.

Definition from https://rateyourmusic.com/genre/Synthwave/

Originally posted by https://rateyourmusic.com/genre/Synthwave/ https://rateyourmusic.com/genre/Synthwave/ wrote:

Also known as: Outrun Electro, Retro Electro, Neo 80s
Synthwave is a form of Electronic music that takes most of its inspiration from synth music and pop culture from the 1980s. Musically, synthwave is often instrumental and has a "futuristic" theme, with large, throbbing, retro synths. House influenced heavy drums (often side-chained) are also very popular. It draws inspiration from a variety of genres that originated and/or was most popular during the 1980s, including, but not limited to, Synthpop, Progressive Electronic, Italo-Disco, Electro-Disco and other derivative styles. Synthwave albums are generally arranged in a style that is similar to a Film Soundtrack, Film Score, Television Music or Video Game Music album. The visual element of synthwave is important as well. Album covers are heavily influenced by 1980s films (especially Science Fiction and Action movies, such as Blade Runner or The Terminator), TV shows (specifically Miami Vice and Knight Rider), video games (notably OutRun and similar titles), and other elements important in 1980s culture.

The origins of synthwave can be traced back to French Electro House scene in the mid-2000s. Artists such as Kavinsky combined House music with elements of 1980s Electronic music, complete with 1980s inspired artwork. Soon after, several French producers, such as College, Anoraak and Minitel Rose began producing similar styled music. There have also been some synthwave soundtracks, such as Drive and Hotline Miami.

Since then, many record labels have been set up dedicated to this sound (the most important being the French label Valerie, American label Italians Do It Better, and the Canadian label Rosso Corsa Records), and a slew of producers have emerged from around the world, as the scene continues to flourish.

Note: Not to be confused with Minimal Wave which is sometimes called "Synth Wave."

This is Com Truise's "Data Kiss" off his 2012 album In Decay, which I discovered in the film trailer for "High-Rise". This video uses footage from the 1981 film "Looker":

And Kyle Dixon & Michael Stein's Tangerine Dream reminiscent music from Stranger Things:

Is there any music that you like from this musical world?

I'ma big fan of a lot of Electronic Music, including retro ones such as Kosmischer Läufer.

Just a fanboy passin' through.
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2019 at 10:13
Guests View Drop Down
Forum Guest Group
Forum Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2019 at 10:34
I've been listening to this comeback of 80's synthwave cheese more than I probably did prog in the last year so I welcome this thread with open arms. There is something refreshing to me in making the sound of 80's more instrumental than pop.

Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2019 at 10:37
^^ Cymatics: "the study of wave phenomena, esp sound, and their visual representations" -- Collins Dictionary.

Thanks, Cristi. It's a very well-done video.

^ thanks George, I'm digging that Betamaxx one.

Edited by Logan - February 03 2019 at 10:39
Vompatti View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vompatti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2019 at 11:43
I guess vaporwave is kind of related? Everything on the Bludhoney label is good, mostly leaning quite heavily towards ambient though.

Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Icarium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2019 at 12:22
I think Ultravox have songs that are related to this

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_u6dtcjQSNI

Edited by Icarium - February 03 2019 at 12:25
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2019 at 13:28
Not sure if these qualify as Synthwave but as long as it also says Retro Electronic

Polymorphia View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Polymorphia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2019 at 13:50
my preferred term is "Erectro"
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2019 at 07:19
I’m stuck on a little device right now, which makes posting harder.

Vompatti, Vaporwave does have a relation in nostalgia (has retro qualities) and a think that there is overlap with Synthwave, and I enjoyed that. I think it tends to rely more on sampling, and jingles and kitsch.

Icarium: Ultravox has Inspired retro Synth pop, so there is a musical relation. The track you linked to is from 1980, and that is the period that Synthwave and plenty of retro electronic music evokes. Some big influences on Synthwave would be 80s Vangelis, John Carpenter, Tangerine Dream and Goblin (a fair amount of this retro music I’ve heard might also be classified as Synth pop).

Saperlipopette: I enjoyed all of that music greatly. I knew the Umberto, and had heard The Unseen and Vic Mars before. Great reminder, love the music. Indeed, i wanted to cover not just Synthwave but retro electronic music generally (such as those and Kosmischer Laufer).

Polymorphia: “Erectro” seems upstanding to me.
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2019 at 00:01
https://hante.bandcamp.com/album/fierce

this was a nice discovery
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2019 at 09:58
^ Sorry, I had forgooten to check this topic until now, listening, very interesting music.

Another

By the way, I think "'Erectro' seems upstanding to me" fell flat, but then I do make the most flaccid of jokes.

Edited by Logan - February 23 2019 at 10:36
Guests View Drop Down
Forum Guest Group
Forum Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2019 at 14:03
^I'm not letting this thread drop off. Good video on that Vitalic one as well, Greg.

Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2019 at 09:59
^ Thanks George, I hadn't heard that before.

This is more chillwave, but nice.

verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2019 at 10:58
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

This topic probably will not get much attention here, and Synthwave is not one that I've explored that much.

Somehow this thread escaped my notice till now. I seem to be good at overlooking things. LOL

Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

This is Com Truise's "Data Kiss" off his 2012 album In Decay, which I discovered in the film trailer for "High-Rise". This video uses footage from the 1981 film "Looker":

Love that movie. 

Com Truise's In Decay (2012) is one of my favorite electronic releases of the last ten years. Clap

As a guy in my fourth (yikes) decade of listening to and enjoying electronic music, I'll read this thread during work.
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2019 at 11:03
Heard this one a couple weeks ago. Nicely evocative of '80s Jan Hammer.

Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2019 at 12:21
^ I did find your absence conspicuous. I'm glad you're here now. In Decay is excellent, I feel. I enjoyed the Prism, thanks.
S1973 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote S1973 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2019 at 05:56

Edited by S1973 - August 03 2023 at 09:56
Modrigue View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Modrigue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2019 at 06:27
A few recommandations:

I made a synthwave youtube playlist:

S1973 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote S1973 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2019 at 06:06

Edited by S1973 - March 23 2019 at 06:06
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2019 at 06:24
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>