Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Synthwave and Retro Electronic

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote S1973 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2019 at 01:20

Edited by S1973 - August 03 2023 at 09:25
S1973 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote S1973 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2019 at 18:42

Edited by S1973 - August 03 2023 at 09:42
patrickq View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote patrickq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2019 at 19:46
so is there a subgenre in here somewhere that could be added to ProgArchives?
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2019 at 23:33
I think our bases are covered well enough with the categories we have, although I would like some sub-subgenres, but then mostly I'd like individual album tagging and multi-tagging.

I think our Progressive Electronic category mostly suffices. Whatever Synthwave might be found PA appropriate, then it might find itself there (some albums we have in there could be called synthwave, alos depends on the working definition, see page one and two), and some retro electronic is suitable for existent PA categories (be it Progressive Electronic, Krautrock....), and is in PA. It would be more on a case-by-case basis than adding new categories. I'm more into the Kosmischer Läufer (it's in Krautrock) retro type thing, Klaus Morlock, Jon Brooks, loved the Dallas Campbell (almost wrote Cowbell) which is in Progressive Electronic, That Civil Defence is Common Sense, etc. but do really enjoy some Synthwave (especially that Com Truise). I'm not keen on the dance music/80s pop with a beat type stuff.
Just a fanboy passin' through.
S1973 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote S1973 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2019 at 04:35

Edited by S1973 - October 30 2019 at 04:37
S1973 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote S1973 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2019 at 22:08

Edited by S1973 - November 11 2019 at 22:09
S1973 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote S1973 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2020 at 14:02

Edited by S1973 - January 08 2020 at 14:05
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2020 at 06:14
I totally missed this thread but am definitely going to trawl through it for recs. I love this type of floating velvety synth music.
Also have some recs of my own but that’s for later as I’m currently in the process of singing songs that never existed with my mad buddy from work

Also hi Greg, always a pleasure

Edited by Guldbamsen - January 28 2020 at 06:15
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2020 at 07:41
Now pardon me if this isn’t exactly the type of music that’s been posted the most in here, but I gather folks with an affinity for this kind of velvety tapestries would enjoy Lindstrøm. The following album is a chillax adventure that both sounds like an electronic and wafting take on disco..but also manages to spice things up with a certain Klaus Schulzesque feel to the proceedings. I really dig this album:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4I4rQRJI4l4
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
S1973 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote S1973 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2020 at 23:16
S1973 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote S1973 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2020 at 23:28
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2020 at 02:08
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

I totally missed this thread but am definitely going to trawl through it for recs. I love this type of floating velvety synth music.
Also have some recs of my own but that’s for later as I’m currently in the process of singing songs that never existed with my mad buddy from work

Also hi Greg, always a pleasure

Hi, sorry, I think I was on hiatus from this site at the time. Welcome to the 80s retro dance mix party thread. :)

Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

Now pardon me if this isn’t exactly the type of music that’s been posted the most in here, but I gather folks with an affinity for this kind of velvety tapestries would enjoy Lindstrøm. The following album is a chillax adventure that both sounds like an electronic and wafting take on disco..but also manages to spice things up with a certain Klaus Schulzesque feel to the proceedings. I really dig this album:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4I4rQRJI4l4

I have now listened to that album, and did indeed dig it very much myself. Listening again and I'm really very into it. Great groove, funky and fresh. Ah, I love this. It's a little like if your Berlin school had a disco in it. Reminds me a touch of Jerry Goldmsith (Logan's Run from which my username derives) meets Moroder and Doldinger (touch of Neverending Story) meets Vangelis, Schulze, take some ecstasy, dance like freaks, then possibly vomit sometime later. ;) It's hypnotic. It's reminding me so much of something right now at 24 minutes, and I can't quite pinpoint what it is, but I really love this (I know it's from a soundtrack -- a Vangelis perhaps).   It will come to me. The second half feels so different again. Really appreciate the recommendation, and sorry for thanking you so belatedly. I really hope your body pain eases, and you manage to stay safe during this epidemic. If this is the apocalypse, I can think of worse things than a discapocalypse.

Terrific recommendation; thanks so much! I liked it at first and this time it really hit me just how much (it's late with no distractions).

Edited by Logan - March 20 2020 at 02:11
Guests View Drop Down
Forum Guest Group
Forum Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2020 at 05:59
That Lindstrom really is something, reminiscent of some actual progressive electronic stuff from the 80's on the site but just overall better at embracing disco sounds. Thanks for that, David.

In the spirit of keeping synthwave going, here's something cute I came upon.

Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blacksword Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2020 at 06:14
I love what I'm hearing.
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blacksword Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2020 at 06:14
Boards of Canada - Roygbiv

Sorry I don't know how to embed.

Edited by Blacksword - March 20 2020 at 06:15
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2020 at 03:57
Good to see Lindstrøm going down a treat
Every year once the weather turns for the warmer and sunlight starts to appear I usually spin a lot of electronic music. Lindstrøm in particular has been a fave of mine the last couple of summers.

Nice to see BOC getting mentioned. Since their last album I’ve heard little to nothing regarding the group. 7 years should suffice in order to produce a new album methinks...

- Douglas Adams
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2020 at 10:10
I like Boards of Canada a lot. Music Has the Right to Children is a fine album. The Campfire Headphase is a favourite of mine.

With embedding youtube videos, there is another way using the full reply editor, but I manually "tag" it with BB code.

So with https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yT0gRc2c2wQ you only copy the unique identifier after v= , which is in this case, yT0gRc2c2wQ
Then you do this without the spaces: [tube ]yT0gRc2c2wQ[ /tube]

That Sloslylove I like too.

This isn't what this topic is about, since this is not modern music that evokes, or sounds like past music, but this is what originally led me to so much of this ilk (partially because the film resonated with me so deeply, which I first saw when I was 12):

Edited by Logan - March 21 2020 at 10:12
tamijo_II View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tamijo_II Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2020 at 12:53
ok ok You lost me, comes a day in everyone’s life where to have to pull yourself together, stand up for your ears and scream: NOOooooooo LOL
Same person as this profile:
Tamijo
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2020 at 18:48
Originally posted by tamijo_II tamijo_II wrote:

ok ok You lost me, comes a day in everyone’s life where to have to pull yourself together, stand up for your ears and scream: NOOooooooo LOL

"Not until we are lost do we begin to understand ourselves" (Henry David Thoreau).

We're posting at the forum of a site that includes Dream Theater in its database, so I rather think we cannot fairly be terribly discriminating when it comes to music -- terrible or not.*

*No real offence intended towards any Dream Theater fans. De gustibus non est disputandum.
Modrigue View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Modrigue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2021 at 04:40
Hello everybody,

Here is my first synthwave / space disco compo. Hope you'll like it Smile:

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123