Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

They sound very like Tangerine Dream

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2019 at 09:52
Originally posted by Saperlipopette! Saperlipopette! wrote:

Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

So I'd just return to Shreeve, since he's still the best electronic musician I've heard come from the UK! Firemusic, Assassin, Legion, Crash Head...amazing stuff. But overall the German emulators of the 1980s were more successful, if they took fewer risks.
I love his 1980-cassette release Phantom... perhaps the most. The 25-minute "Dark Water" is just one of my favorite piece of electronic music. I wouldn't mistake it for TD though. The sounds are very similar but you can say that about most rock or jazz as well. Like Zanov this has its own voice, personality and atmosphere still.

Mark definitely doesn't sound like TD, especially when he shifted into hi-octane mode with Legion (though TD's mid-'80s soundtrack phase with The Park is Mine and Near Dark is kind of in the same ball park).
LAM-SGC View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LAM-SGC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2019 at 12:59
Originally posted by admireArt admireArt wrote:

Half the bands on the PE listing sound or rip off TD.

What does PE listing mean?
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2019 at 13:08
Sorry responding to a question directed at another, but I'm quite sure that he is referring to the Progressive Electronic category at Prog Archives. http://www.progarchives.com/subgenre.asp?style=33
Just a fanboy passin' through.
LAM-SGC View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LAM-SGC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2019 at 13:50
Ah ha, okay, thanks. 
Jerry1975* View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jerry1975* Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2019 at 06:02
Amazing that I've read through 5 pages of replies to the original question and I can't see that anybody has mentioned Johannes Schmoelling who, from 1980-1985 pretty much WAS Tangerine Dream. 

Whilst his style never sounded like TD from 1974-79, their sound whilst he was in the band was pretty much entirely him. His solo albums from 1986's Wuivend Riet through to 2017's Diary of a Common Thread are fantastic and cover a range of styles with a number of little nostalgic snippets and references to his TD work cropping up on numerous albums. 

Also, if you can find a copy of Chris Franke's "Klemania" CD from 1993 that is definitely worth a listen.

Aside from these guys check out this TD tribute act - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=58HzmkhaTfI

J:)
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2019 at 11:13
Originally posted by Jerry1975* Jerry1975* wrote:

Amazing that I've read through 5 pages of replies to the original question and I can't see that anybody has mentioned Johannes Schmoelling who, from 1980-1985 pretty much WAS Tangerine Dream.

Whilst his style never sounded like TD from 1974-79, their sound whilst he was in the band was pretty much entirely him. His solo albums from 1986's Wuivend Riet through to 2017's Diary of a Common Thread are fantastic and cover a range of styles with a number of little nostalgic snippets and references to his TD work cropping up on numerous albums.

I have everything by Johannes, save Zoo of Tranquillity (just can't get into that one) and the newest one he did with Robert Waters (after Jerome left the trio they all had together as Loom).

Johannes' talent and compositional prowess is immense. That said, I didn't mention him because he's a TD alumnus, and the OP wanted stuff that, from my estimation, was closer to pre-1980 TD.

The enlistment of Johannes indeed yielded my favorite era of TD, but we can never discount Edgar's vision and contributions, which are made even more evident by a string of excellent solo albums. Chris' role shifted to a more technical one, but his penchant for sequences can't be diminished, either. What those three made together was pure magic, and there's still much unreleased music in the "vault."

Originally posted by Jerry1975* Jerry1975* wrote:

Also, if you can find a copy of Chris Franke's "Klemania" CD from 1993 that is definitely worth a listen.

That album is very much "of the time" and not what the OP's looking for. It's too "hyper."

Btw, do you like Arc? I posted a track from Fracture.
Braka View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Braka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2019 at 14:49

I haven't read through the umpteen pages of replies, but have you heard the recent 'Sessions' Cds by the current Tangerine Dream. They are live improvisations, and sound more like mid 70's TD than anything TD has done since the mid 70's..

Edited by Braka - February 22 2019 at 14:49
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2019 at 01:03
^ ok will check that out. Ricochet is one of the greatest TD albums so if they can get anywhere near that then I'm on board certainly!
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2019 at 10:17
Originally posted by Braka Braka wrote:

I haven't read through the umpteen pages of replies, but have you heard the recent 'Sessions' Cds by the current Tangerine Dream. They are live improvisations, and sound more like mid 70's TD than anything TD has done since the mid 70's.

It does, but other groups have been doing just that for many years, already. A Tangerine Dream without Edgar Froese isn't really Tangerine Dream, IMO.
Daysbetween View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daysbetween Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2019 at 12:30
Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

Originally posted by LAM-SGC LAM-SGC wrote:

Some feedback. Thanks for all the great suggestions guys. I'm listening to your suggestions every day and discovering other great stuff on Spotify everyday just by clicking on the "fans also like" link, I just needed a few names to get me going. Sadly though quiote a few of the bands aren't avalable on Spotify. Right this minute I'm listening to "Rapture"  by Arc, linked above. Very TD, very Schulze. I like it a lot.  

Check out the whole album. It's easily their best one!

Try using Bandcamp. Lots of good Berlin School there and they even have a tag for it.
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2019 at 23:25
Yeah if you only use Spotify you'd miss out on A LOT! - Including the first three Zanov-albums (his two recent comeback albums are also lovely though) which is as good as it gets

octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote octopus-4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2019 at 08:50
On the drone side, but really boring, you can try the Dutch Phrozenlight. There are some dozens of albums downloadable for free on his website
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
CristauxFeur View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CristauxFeur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2019 at 09:53
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VouHPeO4Gls
tdfloyd View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tdfloyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2019 at 11:27
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

Lots of Kosmische fits the bill, plus various retro electronic bands.

The first one I thought of has already been mentioned: Michael Hoenig for Departure from the Northern Wasteland which is Phaedra-like.

Hoenig toured with Tangerine Dream in 1975 when Peter Baumann took a temporary leave of the group
TETRA View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TETRA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2019 at 02:22
https://youtu.be/u1zmG6aS_Po

An album I've completed recently

It is heavily inspired by groups like tangerine dream
and other electronic artists from the 70's and 80's.

verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2019 at 19:29
^
hellogoodbye View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hellogoodbye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2019 at 23:51
André sulla luna (Italia, 1979) de Arturo Stalteri, with a Mediterranean touch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2A035F_ppSE
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slartibartfast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2019 at 02:43
Cardiacs Tongue
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2019 at 05:07
Originally posted by hellogoodbye hellogoodbye wrote:

André sulla luna (Italia, 1979) de Arturo Stalteri, with a Mediterranean touch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2A035F_ppSE
Great stuff, even if it doesn't sound much like TD. Thanks for sharing Smile
hellogoodbye View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hellogoodbye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2019 at 13:10
Edgar on the beach at night   
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>