FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Fragile, melancholic, or gentle folk music

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Snicolette View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2019 at 16:03
Thank you, love new stuff!
"Into every rain, a little life must fall." ~Tom Rapp
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Raff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2019 at 15:43
Originally posted by Snicolette Snicolette wrote:

This is beautiful, Raff.  Thank you.

You are very welcomeSmile! Everything by William D. Drake is highly recommended. Incidentally, he is here on PA under Prog Folk. Here's his Bandcamp page, where you can listen to all his albums: http://williamddrake.bandcamp.com/
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2019 at 15:37
Originally posted by MortSahlFan MortSahlFan wrote:

Great topic.

Phil Ochs - Changes

Great idea!  Pleasures of the Harbour and Rehearsals for Retirement, too.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2019 at 15:35
This is beautiful, Raff.  Thank you.
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Raff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2019 at 14:54
In the same vein as the sublime North Sea Radio Orchestra, this beauty from one of the best albums of the past few years - William D. Drake's The Rising of the Lights:

MortSahlFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote MortSahlFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2019 at 14:42
Great topic.

Phil Ochs - Changes
https://www.youtube.com/c/LoyalOpposition

https://www.scribd.com/document/382737647/MortSahlFan-Song-List
Polymorphia View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Polymorphia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2019 at 14:38
I thought about mentioning Sylvian, but he's a far cry from Vashti Bunyan, emotionally speaking. His most personal album, Blemish, is quite bitter. His quietest album, Manafon is quite bleak and austere. I love his music to bits, though.
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2019 at 14:03
You're welcome, Logan. EYH is quite dense and it might take some spins to fully appreciate but it truly is a special record, one of his very best.

One last from me: most folks here must be familiar with 'Secrets of the Beehive' but I think that this beauty cannot be passed over in silence.

Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2019 at 12:53
^ It's a terrific album, and has been in my collection. I haven't listened to it in ages, but I'm rectifying that now.

Still working my way through the Saper suggestions that I hadn't heard (which was most of them). It's fun to post and hear people's first impressions of music, I find. And I'm glad that I'm not the only one discovering new-to-them music thanks to this topic -- hopefully this will turn out to be a good resource and discussion-base for a number of people. I just hope no one posts Bon Jovi's "You Give Love A Bad Name", which is sort of the antithesis of what I'm hoping for. ;) One could think of others that are even more antithetical....

I think I might revive another folk thread I made.... If it doesn't lead to more discussion and offerings, well that would be rather embarrassing, and there is something awkward when it comes to reviving one's own threads. I'm gonna do it as there is crossover between the two.

Edited by Logan - February 20 2019 at 13:08
Just a fanboy passin' through.
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2019 at 12:39
Originally posted by Saperlipopette! Saperlipopette! wrote:

Ptarmigan - Ptarmigan

Not really melancholic (too happy), certainly not fragile and not always gentle, but this one takes the prize and runs with the cash box

Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2019 at 12:28
^ Listening now to music off Beautiful Lies on youtube and I do really like it.   That's one for purchase.

^^ Thanks Barbu, not a Peter Hammill album that I own. If it's personal and thoughtful, I wouldn't mind if it is folk or not and I am a fan of Peter Hammill.

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2019 at 12:20
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

^^ Thanks, Nickie, I love Pearls Before Swine and I haven't heard Beautiful Lies You Could Live In. I have heard Tom Rapp's Stardancer, but not, I think, A Journal of the Plague Year (I know of it and maybe I've heard a track or two). Thanks.

^ I like that Lorenzo (I'm into a fair amount of dream poppy and downtempo music).

Air is one of my favourite bands, and this also has a melancholic feel to me.

I think you'll love Beautiful Lies, Logan.  It's one of my favourites. 
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2019 at 12:19
Not folk and quite dark but highly personal and thoughtful.

Essential stuff!
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2019 at 12:17
^^ Thanks, Nickie, I love Pearls Before Swine and I haven't heard Beautiful Lies You Could Live In. I have heard Tom Rapp's Stardancer, but not, I think, A Journal of the Plague Year (I know of it and maybe I've heard a track or two). Thanks.

^ I like that Lorenzo (I'm into a fair amount of dream poppy and downtempo music).

Air is one of my favourite bands, and this also has a melancholic feel to me.

jamesbaldwin View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamesbaldwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2019 at 12:07
From Lisa Germano's albm Geek The Girl

"Happiness is real only when shared"
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2019 at 12:06
Also, some of the rest of Pearls Before Swine may be of interest, outside of "The Use of Ashes."  "These Things Too," and "Beautiful Lies You Could Live In," are just as melancholic.  Tom Rapp also released a solo recording, "A Journal of the Plague Year," with new material, and an old find (in a shoebox in his closet) that is very reminiscent of "Uncle John," from One Nation Underground, and a hilarious story of the early days of ESP and Elektra Records in NYC.  The rest of the recording is in his "Constructive Melancholy," frame of mind, which is what they entititled a compilation of 30 years of PBS, also in 1999.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2019 at 12:05
Fruit Tree is such a moving song for me -- the music and lyrics have a quality of vulnerability. I like a feeling of sensitivity in music commonly. Glad that you appreciate his music.

Edited by Logan - February 20 2019 at 12:07
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2019 at 12:00
Me too.  But I do love Nick Drake.  And perfect suggestion here.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2019 at 11:48
Another favourite of mine, again from Nick Drake:

Just thinking about Nick Drake makes me feel sorrowful (and having depression and having this sense of fragility myself, it makes it all the more poignant and personal to me, but there's something cathartic about listening to such music for me). It deeply resonates with me (EDIT: while musically different, Robert Wyatt's Rock Bottom is another that deeply resonates with me, and actually, I think this song does fit such a topic well:

Feel free to move beyond the folk-proper realm in posts to music that you find poignant in a melancholic, fragile, or somewhat sorrowful way.

Edited by Logan - February 20 2019 at 12:02
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2019 at 20:30
A favourite of mine that sort of fits (didn't think it fit well enough to mention it in my first post) is Willows Song off the Wicker Man OST (I love that soundtrack).

A nice gentle one that I remembered.

Edited by Logan - February 19 2019 at 20:44
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>