Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Top 10s and lists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The best prog album of all time?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>
Author
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2020 at 21:20
While I commonly have problems with notions of best, other than perhaps best for the individual -- it is so subjective/ dependent on taste plus none of us have heard all of the albums -- and I could list many that I find superb, I will mention Robert Wyatt's Rock Bottom even if I don't think of it as particularly prog per se. Perfection is not how I'd describe the album. I find the album to be poignant. It's melancholy, but also playful.

iluvmarillion View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iluvmarillion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2020 at 21:52
Perfection doesn't exist because human beings aren't perfect. Even the most perfect painting, the Mona Lisa has a changing horizon and one half of her face slightly different to the other. If you look for perfection in a prog rock album you won't find it. If you look for the best you won't find that either because what's best today is relegated to something else the next day. And even if you settle on what is best, someone else will have another best and then which one is best, his or yours. Answer is they are both the best because no one opinion is superior to another.
Sacro_Porgo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sacro_Porgo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2020 at 22:44
Originally posted by iluvmarillion iluvmarillion wrote:

Perfection doesn't exist because human beings aren't perfect. Even the most perfect painting, the Mona Lisa has a changing horizon and one half of her face slightly different to the other. If you look for perfection in a prog rock album you won't find it. If you look for the best you won't find that either because what's best today is relegated to something else the next day. And even if you settle on what is best, someone else will have another best and then which one is best, his or yours. Answer is they are both the best because no one opinion is superior to another.

I don't think the Mona Lisa is the most perfect painting, just the most famous.
Porg for short. My love of music doesn't end with prog! Feel free to discuss all sorts of music with me. Odds are I'll give it a chance if I haven't already! :)
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2020 at 22:22
I think this has asked many times before, anyway Wigwam: Fairyport has been my all time best album in all the genres already many years!
Sagichim View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sagichim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2020 at 03:03
As expected I see a lot of people ranks CTTE as their all time favorite, I'll just say it's not in my top 20 although I would rate it 5 stars, for some reason the more obscure ones tend to connect with me more than the usual suspects. If I'd have to choose an album from the more well known bands it would be Red.
Otherwise my all time winners would be:

Dun - Eros
Hendrix - Band Of Gypsys (not prog)
Maxophone - S/T
Orphaned Land - Sahara

Woon Deadn View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Woon Deadn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2020 at 04:59
For me, definitely not Larks or CTtE or Red. 

I think of Foxtrot without the first track and the very ending. I may think of Gentle Giant's Debut album or their Three Friends or TPATG. 

Spring and Fantasy made excellent debut albums. Cressida's Asylum is among my favourites, very vivid keyboards. 

GG's Three Friends is probably the one. 
Favourite Band: Gentle Giant
Favourite Writer: Robert Sheckley
Favourite Horror Writer: Jean Ray
Favourite Computer Game: Tiny Toon - Buster's Hidden Treasure (Sega Mega Drive/Genesis)
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2020 at 09:55
Ridiculous...The candidate for this acolade hasn't been written yet....and never will be...
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExittheLemming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2020 at 11:43
Originally posted by Sagichim Sagichim wrote:

Dun - Eros
Maxophone - S/T
Orphaned Land - Sahara

Good shout for Maxophone, an album that has your habitually feisty rodent reduced to tears Thumbs Up
Sacro_Porgo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sacro_Porgo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2020 at 13:20
Originally posted by Sagichim Sagichim wrote:

As expected I see a lot of people ranks CTTE as their all time favorite, I'll just say it's not in my top 20 although I would rate it 5 stars, for some reason the more obscure ones tend to connect with me more than the usual suspects. If I'd have to choose an album from the more well known bands it would be Red.

Dun - Eros
Maxophone - S/T
Orphaned Land - Sahara

Maxophone is awesome.
Porg for short. My love of music doesn't end with prog! Feel free to discuss all sorts of music with me. Odds are I'll give it a chance if I haven't already! :)
miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miamiscot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2020 at 09:54
My vote is (and always will be) for Tales From Topographic Oceans. Hardcore Yes. Haters be damned!!!
The Prog Corner
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2020 at 07:49
Originally posted by miamiscot miamiscot wrote:

My vote is (and always will be) for Tales From Topographic Oceans. Hardcore Yes. Haters be damned!!!

Aye. I would have to agree that it nails the zeitgeist of symphonic prog and is the paradigm of what a symphonic prog track should aspire to.....
GOOD CALL...😎

Edited by M27Barney - May 30 2020 at 07:50
BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldFriede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2020 at 10:10

The original "Tales from Topographic Oceans" is great. But the remastering is a catastrophe.

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
Mascodagama View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mascodagama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2020 at 10:18
Still a meaningless question.

The correct answer is Bubu's Anabelas.
Soldato of the Pan Head Mafia. We'll make you an offer you can't listen to.
Bandcamp Profile
BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldFriede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2020 at 10:32
Originally posted by Mascodagama Mascodagama wrote:

The correct answer is Mother Gong's "Fairy Tales".

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
BrufordFreak View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrufordFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2020 at 12:22
I can't even agree with myself as to the Best 100 Prog Albums of All-Time! How can I ever hope to agree with you hon-yocks?

Edited by BrufordFreak - May 30 2020 at 19:54
Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/
Mascodagama View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mascodagama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2020 at 15:32
Originally posted by BaldFriede BaldFriede wrote:

Originally posted by Mascodagama Mascodagama wrote:

The correct answer is Mother Gong's "Fairy Tales".
The correct answer is Henry Cow's Western Culture.
Soldato of the Pan Head Mafia. We'll make you an offer you can't listen to.
Bandcamp Profile
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2020 at 16:35
Originally posted by BaldFriede BaldFriede wrote:

The original "Tales from Topographic Oceans" is great. But the remastering is a catastrophe.

I didn't care for the Steve Wilson version for some reason. I'm not sure which one you are referring to though but if it's the SW one I agree.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2020 at 03:25
^ yep are we talking 'remix' or 'remaster'?

Anyway Gates Of Delirium pissed on everything else Yes had done to that point imo. Pity the whole album wasn't as good although Sound Chaser at least showed a band that was still trying to progress.

TFTO has some good parts but it just goes to sleep at times. The idea of it is so much greater than the actual reality.

M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2020 at 05:15
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Anyway Gates Of Delirium pissed on everything else Yes had done to that point imo. Pity the whole album wasn't as good although Sound Chaser at least showed a band that was still trying to progress.

TFTO has some good parts but it just goes to sleep at times. The idea of it is so much greater than the actual reality.

GoD on YesShows pisses all over the studio version...The extended remixed version of TFTO is BOSS...extension and bombast are essential...for true symph prog...but for those who think that Turn it on again is good...I can see them HATING tobys graphic gocart...😎

Edited by M27Barney - May 31 2020 at 05:16
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2020 at 06:15
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

In terms of technical skill and musical prowess, I absolutely agree that GoD is the pinnacle of Yes tracks up to that point.

In terms of impact on progressive rock as a whole, Close to The Edge still holds that crown IMHO.

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>