Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Most underrated prog band?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 567
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dapper~Blueberries Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2024 at 09:53
100% The Tea Club. Seriously always surprised with how underrated they truly are, I would have thought that by now after If / When released they would be a bit more recognizable outside of this website, but they're still very underrated.

This could also go for Fren, though that band is very new (their first album released in 2020) so it kinda makes sense that they wouldn't be as well known. Still I hope they end gaining a lot of appreciation within the wide world of progressive rock.
D~B
TenYearsAfter View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TenYearsAfter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2024 at 11:17
Solaris from Hungary.
Hrychu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hrychu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2024 at 12:08
What do you think about Deyss? Their debut album At-King has a very low PA average score but IMHO the arrangements, songwriting etc. are quite good and I guess people rate it unfairly low due to the ridiculously cliché jester cover art and the fact that it's a neo prog album.
Bez pierdolenia sygnał zerwie, to w realia wychodź w hełmie!
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2024 at 12:31
Originally posted by Hrychu Hrychu wrote:

What do you think about Deyss? Their debut album At-King has a very low PA average score but IMHO the arrangements, songwriting etc. are quite good and I guess people rate it unfairly low due to the ridiculously cliché jester cover art and the fact that it's a neo prog album.

Never heard of them. I think maybe they're obscure (not well-known) rather than underrated. Confused
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2024 at 13:27
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

Never heard of them. I think maybe they're obscure (not well-known) rather than underrated. Confused

Maybe both, and maybe just not very good. It also has a pretty low score at Rate Your Music The debut has a 2.43 with 76 ratings and 11 reviews.

I actually enjoy it.
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2024 at 13:34
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

Maybe both, and maybe just not very good. It also has a pretty low score at Rate Your Music The debut has a 2.43 with 76 ratings and 11 reviews.

I actually enjoy it.

If only the vocals were better... 
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2024 at 13:49

Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

I actually enjoy it.

And if you get past that, there's the synths, sound-effects and drums to deal with... Some object to the term, but I would describe this as very cheesy. Not a problem for me as I like cheese.
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2024 at 14:13
How about French TV?

Has the OP interacted once??
Cosmiclawnmower View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cosmiclawnmower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2024 at 14:14
Family. They had a great run of albums; the first two (Music in a dolls house and Family Entertainment) were very influential and successfully transitioned from Psychedelic/ Proto to Progressive rock. Even when they moved towards a more 'mainstream' sound (Bandstand) they still maintained that diverse, textured quirkiness to their sound. And Streetwalkers who came later, despite being a boogie-blues rock band of sorts had that fantastic control of tension which Family cultivated in their sound and came from excellent musicianship, great song-writing and, of course, Roger Chapman's voice!

Prog-jester View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prog-jester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2024 at 14:15
Discipline.
Shadowland
Oceansize
Fates Warning
Landberk
Anekdoten
Dredg
The Postman Syndrome/Day Without Dawn
UK
Threshold

non-prog:
My Dying Bride (huge in their own tiny niche, unjustly not known outside of it)
The Afghan Whigs
Sol Invictus
The Blue Nile
Morphine
Big Country
A Silver Mt Zion
The Sound
The Chameleons
The Amazing
Reuben
Die Nerven
etc
mellotronwave View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mellotronwave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2024 at 17:02

[/QUOTE]

This is the main pitfall and that’s why I never had it at the time.
Yet he was praised by the 'specialized press'.
Mitigating circumstance: it was released during a lean period for the prog.
In terms of poor vocal parts it is just preceded by an opus of Outer Limits ( which is part of my collection)
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2024 at 22:31
Originally posted by Frets N Worries Frets N Worries wrote:

Perhaps underrated albums by major prog artists would be better, suffice to say, I think Oldfield doesn't get talked about enough on here. 

If we are going that way then I would suggest Vangelis. PA has him down as 'prog related' which is an actual insult to his wonderfully varied and eclectic career IMO. Oldfield is well recognised and Ommadawn sits proudly in the top 100 as a great example of his work. Mind you he is classed as 'crossover' when I think 'eclectic' would be a better fit (same for Vangelis).
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2024 at 22:50
^Fully agree in regards to Vangelis who "out-progs" most bands and artists on PA. 

I'm not an expert but my understanding is that the albums that are the reason Mike Oldfield is on PA at all, are the ones resembling Symphonic Prog? So that's where I would place him.
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2024 at 22:56
Originally posted by presdoug presdoug wrote:

Triumvirat-even on PA, they don't get the attention they deserve.

Two things you can count on with PA.....Presdoug will rise to the defense of Triumvirat, and I will rise to the defense of Flash!!  

As the American comic Rodney Dangerfield would say, "They don't get no respect!"  
I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2024 at 23:23
Originally posted by Saperlipopette! Saperlipopette! wrote:

^Fully agree in regards to Vangelis who "out-progs" most bands and artists on PA. 

I'm not an expert but my understanding is that the albums that are the reason Mike Oldfield is on PA at all, are the ones resembling Symphonic Prog? So that's where I would place him.

It's tricky as Oldfield has many influences, a big one being Magma but also Folk and ethnic influences are very high in those early classic albums. Their is a lot going on and then there's Amarok, anyone's guess what that is! He (like Vangelis) is regarded as very influential and important to 'New Age' music. Certainly the likes of Stephen Caudel and Thomas Newman were heavily influenced.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2024 at 23:26
Originally posted by cstack3 cstack3 wrote:

Originally posted by presdoug presdoug wrote:

Triumvirat-even on PA, they don't get the attention they deserve.

Two things you can count on with PA.....Presdoug will rise to the defense of Triumvirat, and I will rise to the defense of Flash!!  

As the American comic Rodney Dangerfield would say, "They don't get no respect!"  

I like Flash a lot but they seemed a bit 'stuck'. I'm not sure Peter Banks wanted to move that far from the Yes early proto prog style. That's his perogative of course but perhaps that's why they don't get talked about so much. Great band though and very enjoyable.

Edited by richardh - February 07 2024 at 23:26
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 567