Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Top 10s and lists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Make your own Yes album!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Hrychu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hrychu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Make your own Yes album!
    Posted: June 11 2020 at 19:56
This is my Yes compilation. It's a double album
DISC 1 (unaltered Close to the Edge basically):
1. Close to the Edge
2. And You and I
3. Siberian Khatru
DISC 2 (Fralayer xD)
1. Gates of Delirium
2. Heart of the Sunrise
3. To Be Over

Oh smokes. I didn't read the rules. So yeah, If I were to play by the rules, I simply wouldn't do a compilation at all. ;p IMO CTTE is so well balanced that taking out one song just would make it way less appealing. But, when it comes to Relayer, I just don't like Sound Chaser all that much so to me replacing it with a more exciting song with a similar duration is a good choice.

Edited by Hrychu - June 11 2020 at 20:03
Bez pierdolenia sygnał zerwie, to w realia wychodź w hełmie!
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2020 at 19:02
Originally posted by Argo2112 Argo2112 wrote:

Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

No.   Just no.   Their albums were very carefully crafted.   You can't just cherry pick songs, shove them together on some imaginary record, and expect it to be as impactful (or even very good).   Tull maybe, but not Yes.

This is a travesty of a mockery.

Sorry I have to take issue with this one . Every band that has been around for any length of time ( Including Yes) has done this in the form of " best of" or "Greatest Hits " (Classic Yes comes to mind plus about a million live albums)  I don't think I would classify it as a travesty. 

I agree. Many of my favourite albums are "Best of" compilations, and that includes Classic Yes. Smile
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2020 at 10:49
I already made my favourite YES album and now it's time for my favourite YES concert. I'm posting the concert here because I couldn't  think of anywhere else to post it without starting a whole new thread, and this IS a YES appreciation thread in all but name after all. Yours is No Disgrace if you want to skip the concert and make your own YES album instead though. Smile
The concert below features the classic YES line-up of:- Jon Anderson; Bill Bruford; Steve Howe; Tony Kaye; Trevor Rabin; Chris Squire; Rick Wakeman; and Alan White.

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - February 02 2020 at 14:45
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2019 at 15:54
1. Survival

2. Time and a Word

3. Starship Trooper

4. Heart of the Sunrise

5. Close to the Edge

6. Ritual (Nous Somme du Soleil)

7. To Be Over

8. Awaken

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - February 03 2020 at 01:04
I prophesy disaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I prophesy disaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2019 at 09:59

1. Starship Trooper (The Yes Album)
2. South Side of the Sky (Fragile)
3. Close to the Edge (Close to the Edge)
4. Gates of Delirium (Relayer)
5. Awaken (Going for the One)
6. On the Silent Wings of Freedom (Tormato)
7. Machine Messiah (Drama)
8. Changes (90125)

No, I know how to behave in the restaurant now, I don't tear at the meat with my hands. If I've become a man of the world somehow, that's not necessarily to say I'm a worldly man.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2019 at 04:16
1. Survival (YES)
2. Time and a Word (Time and a Word)
3. Starship Trooper (The Yes Album)
4. Heart of the Sunrise (Fragile)
5. Close to the Edge (Close to the Edge)
6. Ritual (Tales from Topographic Oceans)
7. To Be Over (Relayer)
8. Awaken (Going for the One)  
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2019 at 15:02
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

I'm not sure why Yes was excluded from this series but here we go. Same rules as the other make your own album threads(one song per album). 

I love these Make Your Own Album threads where you choose your favourite songs from each of eight favourite albums. I'll have my list ready for you as soon as I've listened again to my classic YES back-catalogue. Smile

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - February 03 2020 at 01:09
ProjektGemineye1 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProjektGemineye1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2019 at 14:44

Side A
1. New State of Mind
2. Looking Around
3. Turn Of The Century
4. Southside of the Sky

Side B
5. Hearts
6. Sound Chaser
7. And You And I
8. That, That Is
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2019 at 00:35
just a reminder of the 'one song per album' rule  Wink 
zawesomekid View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zawesomekid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2019 at 18:23

1. "Siberian Khatru"
  2. "Sound Chaser"
  3. "Close to the Edge"
  4. "Heart of the Sunrise" 
  5. "And You and I"
  6. "Gates of Delirium"
MaxPap View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MaxPap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2019 at 09:47
Side One
Close To The Edge

Side Two
Yours Is No Disgrace
Heart Of The Sunrise

Side Three
The Revealing Science of God

Side Four
Awaken
To Be Over

ForestFriend View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ForestFriend Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2019 at 09:45

No.   Just no.   Their albums were very carefully crafted.   You can't just cherry pick songs, shove them together on some imaginary record, and expect it to be as impactful (or even very good).   Tull maybe, but not Yes.
This is a travesty of a mockery.
Sorry I have to take issue with this one . Every band that has been around for any length of time ( Including Yes) has done this in the form of " best of" or "Greatest Hits " (Classic Yes comes to mind plus about a million live albums)  I don't think I would classify it as a travesty.

You wouldn't?   I know I would classify most Best Of's & Greatest Hits as exactly that.

I think you are missing part of the point of these threads. If you look at the song choices most people aren't picking Roundabout or Owner of a Lonely Heart. Many are picking deeper tracks that resonate with them. 
 I haven't seen any list that look like a cookie cutter "BEST Of" album.  Everyone has some surprises on their list , that's what makes them interesting.

No I get it, it's 'Create your dream album'. 

Yeah... no.  It ignores the structure, order and rhythm with which the band set down the cuts.  In Yes's case that's fundamental to their music as a whole.  Even shuffling tracks on a Yes record is questionable though I have done it. 

1987 called, it wants its mix-tape back.

Could we avoid this controversy by phrasing the title as "Make your own Yes concert"? After all; Yes literally did a tour where they play one song each from their first 10 albums in a row. Seems they didn't really care that too much for the sanctity of the album when they performed live, what with picking and choosing songs from different albums to play, playing the Close To The Edge album in reverse order on the TFTO tour, and eventually dropping The Remembering from their TFTO performances.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2019 at 00:15
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Yes Sir Bob

1. Yours Is No Disgrace
2. South Side Of The Sky
3. And You And I
4. Ritual
5. Gates Of Delirium
6. Wonderous Stories
7. Future Times
8. Does It Really Happen

I'm surprised to see a list that has wonderous stories instead of awaken but wonderous stories is actually very under rated among fans so I'm ok with that. I think because it's such a short track most yes fans have a hard time rating it very highly and yet if any other band who wasn't known for super long songs did it then it would be considered one of their best.

basically it still gives me goosebumps. The vocal harmony work in particular is fantastic but it just all works. I would never have picked Awaken although I do think its a highly original epic. Either Parallels (I love pipe organ generally and it has a great bassline) or Steve Howe's wonderful acoustic guitar work on TOTC would win out over Awaken for me. I just wish Steven Wilson would re-mix the whole thing!

Edited by richardh - August 31 2019 at 01:23
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2019 at 17:35
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Yes Sir Bob

1. Yours Is No Disgrace
2. South Side Of The Sky
3. And You And I
4. Ritual
5. Gates Of Delirium
6. Wonderous Stories
7. Future Times
8. Does It Really Happen

I'm surprised to see a list that has wonderous stories instead of awaken but wonderous stories is actually very under rated among fans so I'm ok with that. I think because it's such a short track most yes fans have a hard time rating it very highly and yet if any other band who wasn't known for super long songs did it then it would be considered one of their best.
SquonkHunter View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SquonkHunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2019 at 09:09
Good to see some of the more obscure early Yes songs make the cut. Surprised to see no one has mentioned my personal favorite - Dear Father. Even after all these years that song still touches me deeply. Symphonic Prog at its best.
"You never had the things you thought you should have had and you'll not get them now..."
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2019 at 23:50
Yes Sir Bob

1. Yours Is No Disgrace
2. South Side Of The Sky
3. And You And I
4. Ritual
5. Gates Of Delirium
6. Wonderous Stories
7. Future Times
8. Does It Really Happen
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2019 at 17:08
A few people here either didn't understand the rules or were intentionally breaking them. Sure 8 songs for Genesis but skimp out on Yes. I'll take your prog card please. Thank you. Tongue
BrufordFreak View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrufordFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2019 at 16:31
"Survival"
"Then"
"I've Seen All Good People"
"Heart of the Sunrise"
"And You and I"
"Gates of Delirium"
"Awaken"
"Into the Lens"
Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/
patrickq View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patrickq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2019 at 18:44
Originally posted by oka2112 oka2112 wrote:

Side A:
Cinema
Tempus Fugit
Perpetual Change
Heart of the Sunrise

Side B:
Awaken
Starship Trooper

Nice sequencing, “Cinema” —> “Tempus Fugit” and “Awaken” —> “Starship Trooper” especially.
Chaser View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chaser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2019 at 15:57
1. Roundabout
2. Starship Trooper
3. Close To The Edge
4. The Revealing Science Of God
5. Sound Chaser
6. Awaken
7. Tempus Fugit
8. Endless Dream
Songs cast a light on you
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>