Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - who is the most incontinent artist (band or solo)?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

who is the most incontinent artist (band or solo)?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldJean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: who is the most incontinent artist (band or solo)?
    Posted: June 19 2019 at 09:46
by this question I mean: who is in your opinion the artist who most releases album after album in short intervals that are mostly not necessary at all?

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2019 at 09:52
Too many on the Psych Rock and Prog Electronic genres to mention, especially those who seem to release every improv session they play Ermm
TCat View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2019 at 11:08
Two artists that come to mind right away.  Both of them have had some excellent albums, but have also had some that have failed, probably because they put out too many at a time.  Motorpsycho is one that is guilty of this, especially in their earlier years, but have also had some albums that were quite stellar.  Another is Buckethead who might hold the record for releasing the most albums in a single year.  There are many more, but those were the two that came to mind immediately. 

Oh yeah, another is The Residents.  They have some great albums, but seem to have gone through an extended period when their music was sub par.  I know part of that has to do with their humor, but a lot of their output during the 80s and 90s was unnecessary and they also seem to release everything they record, including incidental music and even background music played during intermission of their shows.  I love the Residents most of the time, but they do tend to wear out some of their jokes.

Edited by TCat - June 19 2019 at 11:09

Progosopher View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progosopher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2019 at 11:38
I don't listen to him, but I cannot imagine that Bucket Head's 150 albums, up to 30 in one year, are all of high quality.
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2019 at 11:39
Buckethead and Soniq Theater. 
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2019 at 11:59
For a while, Yanni held the crown, hahaha!

Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2019 at 12:10
Mario Pelchat, supreme futility.

and if he read my comment he will surely try to punch me in the face...that could be a an interesting fight.

Edited by Barbu - June 19 2019 at 12:17
Erenan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Erenan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2019 at 13:18
Anyone familiar enough with Omar Rodriguez Lopez's solo work to know if he applies here? (I'm not.)
Fischman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Fischman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2019 at 14:10
Most incontinent artists?

Sounds like a Monty Python Skit
tempest_77 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tempest_77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2019 at 14:11
Buckethead.
I use they/them pronouns (feel free to ask me about this!)

Check out my music on my bandcamp!
Fischman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fischman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2019 at 14:37
I think King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard are making a run at this distinction.  
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2019 at 14:44
Originally posted by Fischman Fischman wrote:

There's a compelling theory that 'Close to the Edge' is about being on the toilet with stomach flu:  "rearrange your liver to the solid mental grace.  I get up, I get down..."

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
MoebiusStreet View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote MoebiusStreet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2019 at 14:57
Tangerine Dream has been around for a really long time, so they've had the time to release a lot. But there really is a huge quantity, and while some of it is wonderful, some of it is ... not.
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldJean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2019 at 15:52

I thought this word best described an artist that can't hold back his musical excretions, like an incontinent person can't hold back his/her body excretions

Edited by BaldJean - June 19 2019 at 17:30

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
Erenan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Erenan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2019 at 16:15
LOL GLOL LOL
I love this topic. I'm so disappointed in myself that I didn't get the metaphor until you explained it
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2019 at 16:42
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

Buckethead and Soniq Theater. 
Of the bands/artists I know, I would also pick these two. 
David64T View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David64T Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2019 at 17:26
Originally posted by BaldJean BaldJean wrote:

I
though this word best described an artist that can't hold back his
musical excretions, like an incontinent person can't hold back his/her
body excretions

Seasons Of Change - weekly programme on community radio: http://seasonsofchangeradio.blogspot.com.au/
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2019 at 17:27

I'm sure many of the old prog guys in their 70s are incontinent.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
tboyd1802 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tboyd1802 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2019 at 18:41
Originally posted by tempest_77 tempest_77 wrote:

Buckethead.

Yep, the Bucketed One is who I would have said...
He neither drank, smoked, nor rode a bicycle. Living frugally, saving his money, he died early, surrounded by greedy relatives. It was a great lesson to me -- John Barrymore
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2019 at 00:08
As much as I am a fan of his seventies work (and I also like the Retro albums and The New Age trilogy) I would put Rick Wakeman somewhere up there . He has released over a 100 albums and too many boring live albums imo.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>