Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thick as a Brick: Overrated on Progarchives

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 91011
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2019 at 21:50
I guess you had to be there. Obviously, you weren't.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
Fischman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fischman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2019 at 21:23
Not only is Thicka as a Brick not overrated, Moving Pictured most definitely overrated. Side two is fantastic!   The Camera Eye is one of Rush's greatest songs ever that ties its both its epic length and metaphors together with great dexterity and brilliance, both musically and lyrically. WItch Hunt, while musically rather simple by Rush standards, may be their most effective mood creator ever, along with being the single greatest lyrical exposition of the the nexus of fear and religion ever recorded. I was originally not a big fan of Vital Signs, but it's really grown on me over the years.
dougmcauliffe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2019 at 21:21
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

Because for a single track that is 45 minutes long or whatever it is it flows really well with no boring parts(unless you consider drum solos boring). 

I agree, its never boring, but I just don't think it reaches the highs of the albums around it.
Snicolette View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2019 at 21:12
I agree, with you, Mike.  Also, being there, in it's time, arguably there had been other LP length pieces, joined together in other ways...but in it's scope of poetry, imagery, musicianship, the concept in and of itself and slightly taking itself in a humourous pose.....and then,  in it's live performance as well, it well deserves it's place in progressive music history and, I would argue, it's position in these archives.
"Into every rain, a little life must fall." ~Tom Rapp
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2019 at 21:05
Because for a single track that is 45 minutes long or whatever it is it flows really well with no boring parts(unless you consider drum solos boring). 
dougmcauliffe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2019 at 21:01
mini rant here

I will never understand why this album is so highly rated, its ranked at number 3. That means that its supposed to be better than Wish you were Here, Court of the Crimson King, Foxtrot, Animals, Red, Pawn Hearts, and several other legendary prog albums. Its not a bad album or anything but to me its not even in the same league as most the top 50. Every other album in we'll say the top 20, has awesome soaring highs. TAAB is filled with several forced transitions and I just cant fathom how it could be top 3. 4 Star album

Please tell me i'm not alone in this

Since i'm speaking of this, I'll also throw in that I think Moving Pictures is overrated on PA, certainly not better than Hemispheres or Farewell to Kings. Side one is very very good, but side two is mostly quite dull specifically the last two tracks.

Edited by dougmcauliffe - July 11 2019 at 21:14
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 91011