Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thick as a Brick: Overrated on Progarchives

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 11>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2020 at 02:39
Yes will always be the top of the pile for me, especially CTTE, but TAAB is right behind in terms of prog mastery.

It's the ultimate un-ironic troll victory of all time IMHO.

The starts truly aligned in 1972!

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2020 at 03:12
Originally posted by dougmcauliffe dougmcauliffe wrote:

mini rant here

I will never understand why this album is so highly rated, its ranked at number 3. That means that its supposed to be better than Wish you were Here, Court of the Crimson King, Foxtrot, Animals, Red, Pawn Hearts, and several other legendary prog albums. Its not a bad album or anything but to me its not even in the same league as most the top 50. Every other album in we'll say the top 20, has awesome soaring highs. TAAB is filled with several forced transitions and I just cant fathom how it could be top 3. 4 Star album

Please tell me i'm not alone in this.
Yes, it's overrated. I'd rather listen to any Camel album instead, including A Nod and a Wink. Wink
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2020 at 03:14
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

mini rant here

I will never understand why this album is so highly rated, its ranked at number 3. That means that its supposed to be better than Wish you were Here, Court of the Crimson King, Foxtrot, Animals, Red, Pawn Hearts, and several other legendary prog albums. Its not a bad album or anything but to me its not even in the same league as most the top 50. Every other album in we'll say the top 20, has awesome soaring highs. TAAB is filled with several forced transitions and I just cant fathom how it could be top 3. 4 Star album

Yes, it's overrated. I'd rather listen to any Camel album instead, including A Nod and a Wink. Wink

Now see, that's how you get miscellaneous objects thrown at you around here, Paul, lol.

Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2020 at 03:17
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

mini rant here

if you had paid attention to the discussion, you would have noticed the OP has changed his mind about TAAB being overrated. 
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2020 at 03:18
^^ I know what you mean. I've had a few miscellaneous objects metaphorically thrown at me already this morning on another thread. Smile

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - December 09 2020 at 03:19
Geologistjavi View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Geologistjavi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2020 at 05:52
This is the dumbest thing I've ever heard, to say that Jethro Tull is inferior to Pink Floyd, for me both Floyd and Tull are my favorite bands, I have all the albums of both bands but I have to admit that Jethro Tull musically is superior to Pink Floyd, WYWH never reaches the level of TAAB, by God it lacks the floor and understanding of what is sophisticated and intelligent music. WYWH is not a masterpiece but TAAB is and perhaps the best in all the history of progressive rock, when you say these things you have to think well and not be so fanatic. I already said they are my two favorite bands but I recognize that Tull's music is superior to Floyd, I even have to admit that Yes is also superior to Pink Floyd although it is not one of my favorites
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2020 at 06:04
Originally posted by Geologistjavi Geologistjavi wrote:

This is the dumbest thing I've ever heard, to say that Jethro Tull is inferior to Pink Floyd, for me both Floyd and Tull are my favorite bands, I have all the albums of both bands but I have to admit that Jethro Tull musically is superior to Pink Floyd, WYWH never reaches the level of TAAB, by God it lacks the floor and understanding of what is sophisticated and intelligent music. WYWH is not a masterpiece but TAAB is and perhaps the best in all the history of progressive rock, when you say these things you have to think well and not be so fanatic. I already said they are my two favorite bands but I recognize that Tull's music is superior to Floyd, I even have to admit that Yes is also superior to Pink Floyd although it is not one of my favorites

you are comparing bands that have totally different sound... Confused
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2020 at 07:06
Thick As A Brick is a classic. It is one of the more well-known albums round these parts..and calling it overrated simply doesn’t make sense. Any album is rated as it is...by people with different tastebuds..yet some albums seem to strike a mix of prog and rock/folk/whathaveyou that manages to punch through the little endemic prog-island that some seem to inhabit. Also why so many music fans who’ve probably never heard of prog or similarly have absolutely zero interest in said music end up with albums such as TAAB and DSOTM. The music simply “transcended” the box.

Now whether one digs the album is another matter altogether. TAAB as well as Close To The Edge fx will always be pillars of this genre...but it doesn’t mean that we all will like the music. I don’t personally consider either album a masterpiece even if I like the music...but underrated? Nahh the word doesn’t even make sense.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2020 at 07:14
It's not overrated or underrated. It's kind of in the middle rated. Big smile
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2020 at 07:32
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

It's not overrated or underrated. It's kind of in the middle rated. Big smile

"in the middle rated" - mind... blown... LOL
miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miamiscot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2020 at 08:41
Thick As A Brick is one of the ten best albums I"ve ever heard...
The Prog Corner
Hrychu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hrychu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2020 at 09:18
I don't think it's overrated but I personally find the album extraordinarily boring for some reason. I can't put my finger on it. It's just so repetitive but in an annoying kind of way. Like, the hammond organ always does the same kinda shape, this staccato thing that just doesn't go anywhere. Very few of the melodies really grab my heart.

Edited by Hrychu - December 09 2020 at 09:19
Bez pierdolenia sygnał zerwie, to w realia wychodź w hełmie!
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2020 at 09:46
Nobody can explain what "overrated" means in music unless its 100% about a numerical ranking of some kind. Pretty much everything here is about ones preferences, it boils down to who REALLY, REALLY, REALLY likes TAAB vs those that just like it.

Bringing up an album from the early 70's that was then considered a huge release, sold exceptionally well, charted on US Billboard as #1 as well a couple other countries and today is still considered a cornerstone of progressive rock music, and call it out is well, not in touch with what happened a long time ago in a galaxy far far away!
For me it was about '75-'76 that I became aware of this album from an older cousin. I get and appreciate its brilliance and have no issues of where it sits in the world of music. I am a bigger fan of Aqualung, I think for an album that came out a year before it is better recorded, produced and has more magic to me than TAAB.

TAAB is not overrated, whatever that means.
Earl of Mar View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earl of Mar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2020 at 10:41
TAAB is not only a great piece of music that to my ears at least still holds up, it is a milestone in Prog history. We all have our favourite albums and to me it is a top 10 album but I understand its rating here.
Geologistjavi View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Geologistjavi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2020 at 13:55

Writer On Why Jethro Tull’s 'Thick As A Brick' Is The Most Monumental Concept Album.
Seth Kaufman Doesn't Usually Listen To Concept Albums But When He Does, He Prefers This One

Seth Kaufman, author of "Metaphysical Graffiti: Rock 'n' Roll and the Meaning of Life," joins WPR's "BETA" to investigate the concept album.
Kaufman says he's not a big fan of concept albums because so many concept albums are made by progressive rock bands and he's not a fan of "prog rock." But there is one exception. The one progressive rock album he does love is Jethro Tull's 1972 album, "Thick as a Brick," which just so happens to be a concept album.
In his book, Kaufman makes the case that the album is "so good that it breaks the prog-rock cycle and even transcends the overuse of the flute," which may well be his least favorite rock 'n' roll instrument. That's a pretty audacious statement which is only fitting, given the subject of this story.

"(Pink Floyd's) ‘Dark Side of the Moon’ is interesting, (Pink Floyd's) ‘The Wall’ is great. The Genesis ‘Lamb Lies Down (on Broadway),’ There have been some very interesting, theatrical pieces. But to me, what they almost all lack is a sense of humor," Kaufman said.

So why does Kaufman think "Thick as a Brick" is such a great album?

"Let’s start with the fact is that prior to making ‘Thick as a Brick,’ Ian Anderson, the leader of Jethro Tull, they made an album called ‘Aqualung.’ And many people interpreted this as a concept album. Ian Anderson said, ‘No, that wasn’t a concept album.’ And apparently, the story goes that he said, ‘I’ll show you what a concept album is.'"
So then he designs an album that begins with the cover art," Kaufman explained. It’s called ‘Thick as a Brick’ and on the cover is a fake news story about a poem written by an 8-year-old. And it’s an epic poem and it had won a prize from the Society for Literary Advancement and Gestation, Sl*g is the acronym. But it was rescinded after a panel of psychologists determined the poet was unbalanced. And that the poem revealed an extremely troublesome attitude toward life, his God and country. So the lyrics are the poem that this 8-year-old supposedly wrote."
Kaufman also points to the act that "Thick as a Brick" is one continuous song.

"In terms of concept records, this is monumental. This out-progs everybody. Right? It’s a suite, it rocks, it’s a very inventive body of work. The lyrics go from hard rock to lilting, almost Middle Age folk," he said. "It’s kind of a wonderful album. And it’s a very audacious thing because also, it’s not going to get played on the radio. There was a single that was released that kind of condensed things. But I don’t ever recall hearing it on the radio."

So people that don’t understand what Kaufman said regarding what is a prog rock concept album and argue why Thick as a Brick is overrated , don’t understand and appreciate smart music .

Edited by Geologistjavi - December 09 2020 at 14:01
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2020 at 01:01
Comparing apples to oranges, indeed, makes one Thick As A Brick.

Zeph View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zeph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2020 at 12:57
PA lists are just statistics. Nobody sit down and rate each album with every other album in mind, which is hardly even possible with only 1-5 stars to give. It’s just a bunch of data sorted and rated to an average. It is neither correct or wrong, it’s data. How the data is used is perhaps something to discuss (rating weight), but of course the list doesn’t match everyone’s taste, or anyone’s at that..

The fact PA only got five ratings to give also make the lists less accurate. I can rate many albums four or five stars, but if we had half stars or a 1-100 system, it would be a lot more nuanced.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2020 at 23:44
Originally posted by Zeph Zeph wrote:

PA lists are just statistics. Nobody sit down and rate each album with every other album in mind, which is hardly even possible with only 1-5 stars to give. It’s just a bunch of data sorted and rated to an average. It is neither correct or wrong, it’s data. How the data is used is perhaps something to discuss (rating weight), but of course the list doesn’t match everyone’s taste, or anyone’s at that..

The fact PA only got five ratings to give also make the lists less accurate. I can rate many albums four or five stars, but if we had half stars or a 1-100 system, it would be a lot more nuanced.

I've always thought a 10 star system with the option for 1/2 and 1/4 stars would be ideal. You could really, really nail down some crazy nuanced points on an album at like 8.5, and another could be close but just a tad better at 8.75.

dr prog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr prog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2020 at 01:30
Originally posted by Frenetic Zetetic Frenetic Zetetic wrote:

I've always thought a 10 star system with the option for 1/2 and 1/4 stars would be ideal. You could really, really nail down some crazy nuanced points on an album at like 8.5, and another could be close but just a tad better at 8.75.

8.5 out of 10 is my rating of albums I’ll listen to many times. If I think they’re an 8 or less I usually don’t play it much
All I like is prog related bands beginning late 60's/early 70's. Their music from 1968 - 83 has the composition and sound which will never be beaten. Perfect blend of jazz, classical, folk and rock.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2020 at 10:13
Originally posted by Frenetic Zetetic Frenetic Zetetic wrote:

I'd rather......""I LIKE IT" or "ITS GARBAGE". Discussing ad nauseum an album with 8.25 vs 8.5 would be cra-cra......Do you round up the 8.25 to 8.3, and the 8.75 to 8.8?????

Details man!! You can't throw me a beach ball to hit.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 11>