Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The future of PA

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 891011>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2019 at 03:35
Serious question(s):

1. What year did the PA forums officially launch?
2. What year(s) saw the most user participation/review submissions?

I've always wondered about these! Thanks in advance to anyone who can answer accurately.

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2019 at 03:49
Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

I get complaints that a lot of folks don't like long responses, and will not read them ... tell you what ... YOU'RE SUGGESTING THAT ALL THE LONG CUTS WE LOVE ARE TOO LONG AND YOU WON'T LISTEN TO THEM? ... something is missing in that equation! The fact that hypocrisy is more apparent than music understanding and appreciation? Or comments explaining what they are saying? Like the music didn't do the same thing?

If you were in a prog rock band, it would be called "Palaverous Drivel", and your one and only failed album would be entitled:

This Album Has No Hits Because We As Artists Have Gone Out Of Our Way To Totally Alienate Whatever Fan-base We Thought We Had By Composing A Mind-Numbing And Endless Stream-of-Consciousness Reiteration -- A Recapitulation, As It Were -- Of The Same Bloated, Opinionated Blather, Accompanied By An Ensemble of Kleenex-Over-Comb, Kitchen Pots And Pans, And Rubber Bands.... But This Is Not a Parody, We are Totally Serious In Our Pompous And Overblown Opinions As We Have Repeatedly Stated, Over And Over, Like The Tide On A 1969 California Seaside Evening, With the Faint Scent of Patchouli Oil Caressing The Breeze -- And Like An Ingmar Bergman Film, I Am Playing Chess On The Beach With The Grim Reaper, Who I Am Boring To Death

I suggested that for Symphonic five years ago, but Ivan turned it down. Mind you, it was cleared within 24 hours...

The Elf almost sent me to the dictionary, but sheer franglais/frenchglish assumptions tell me I don't have to.

LOL

Originally posted by Frenetic Zetetic Frenetic Zetetic wrote:

Serious question(s):

1. What year did the PA forums officially launch?
2. What year(s) saw the most user participation/review submissions?

I've always wondered about these! Thanks in advance to anyone who can answer accurately.

1. n its current form, Jan 29, 2004, but the site existed prior to that in a very different form, before bought by Max and Ronny. I

2. difficult to say, but I'd say 2005 to 2007... there was a time you could see at the bottom of the page up to 520 users on it at a given time (though only 2/3 were members)

Edited by Sean Trane - August 25 2019 at 03:54
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2019 at 05:51
Originally posted by The Hemulen The Hemulen wrote:

But discussion forums in general are a dying breed - again, a product of a simpler time, before social media seemingly enveloped the entire web. 

I observe this also with some other forums of which I've been member for a long time. Traffic and number of regular users goes down all the time, main reason probably being that new blood these days doesn't go to discussion forums. Which I think is a pity because I like the forum concept way more than most other social media I have seen. 
Howard the Duck View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Howard the Duck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2019 at 09:10
Well since I just started being more active recently I hope the forums can stay up for a while - def. the main site since it's such a great resource!
MacGyver can do a super guitar solo with a broom and an elastic band. Can you do better?

Braka1 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Braka1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2019 at 10:22
Originally posted by Davesax1965 Davesax1965 wrote:

What mollusc does prog remind you of ?

Octopus

I miss Usenet
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2019 at 16:59

I suggested that for Symphonic five years ago, but Ivan turned it down. Mind you, it was cleared within 24 hours...

Hullo, Steve!  Any truth to the rumor that our Mr. Trump is seeking to buy Wales from the UK?  PM Boris Johnson may just sell it!  

Cardiff, here I come!!  Cheers, Charles! Clap
I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2019 at 18:23
I remember when the site would say something like "100,000" visitors a day. It seems like it had more visitors then(10-15 years ago)then it does now. Are prog fans jumping ship and getting into dance pop and hip hop or something?
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2019 at 18:37
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

I remember when the site would say something like "100,000" visitors a day. It seems like it had more visitors then(10-15 years ago)then it does now. Are prog fans jumping ship and getting into dance pop and hip hop or something?

I would say that newer crowds just don't limit themselves to prog. RYM is hugely popular and growing every day and there are more ratings for any given prog album there than there are here, however we do have a lot of newer bands here that aren't on RYM so PA is very much a unique niche market that's relevant. And yeah, even hardcore proggers such as myself are into hip hop, metal, indie pop, Tuvan throat music, well.... you name it!

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2019 at 18:41

Are prog fans jumping ship and getting into dance pop and hip hop or something?
I doubt it--  it was a novelty to have "Prog" properly archived 10-15 years ago, and who knew so many people wanted to talk endlessly about it.   Plus back then you still had lost gems being reissued on disc, stuff that would've disappeared forever if CDs hadn't reinvigorated interest in the old label catalogs.   Once-extinct recordings were suddenly available with new information as well as the old notes & photos.   Great period.

Edited by Atavachron - August 25 2019 at 19:03
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2019 at 19:03
As said, various social media sites have had an effect on sites and forums such as this, but sites such as RateYourMusic and Reddit are going very strong -- it helps that they are not so niche. PA does get new bands added that have not yet been added to RYM, partially because we have had some very dedicated suggesters who trawl bandcamp for new releases.

I like this forum because I've been a long-time member here and like members here, but for searching for albums, I find the RateYourMusic site better for my needs. This is because I don't limit my listening to Prog, and because they use multi-tagging for albums, have more genres, I find the search albums and charts features better, and they have many great lists posted. I haven't posted there, but it's an awesome resource. Similarly, I haven't posted at Reddit but enjoy reading various threads, and have used it to discover various things -- from great crime and cult podcasts to discovering new to-me tv shows. There is such variety.

To keep growing ones membership, it helps to always be evolving and expanding (and not just by adding new obscure bands that may be of dubious quality and few would be interested in). A complaint has been that this site has stagnated in some aspects.

Edited by Logan - August 25 2019 at 19:33
Just a fanboy passin' through.
Davesax1965 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davesax1965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2019 at 03:57
What's my problem with PA ?

Well. Apart from perhaps two people trolling the board (in my opinion) the problem I have is that *nothing changes*. Same old stuff. 

There is a lot which could be done. As a musician, I'd be really happy to contribute to a musical project formed by members of PA with the intention of releasing a free album. I've done this on other sites, I've also put together compilation albums by little known artists off other forums. My time's free of charge. It works on other sites, it doesn't work here because of inertia and pickiness. 

Other people, non musicians, tend to barge in on conversations between musicians and say "oh, you should be doing a CD / in 17/8 / with a Mellotron" to which the considered answer should be "No, f8ck off". To be brutally honest. But the chance is there to actually produce something from a large pool of talent on the board. 

There are many things which could be done, ie. an official PA radio station, complete with interviews, Lord above, you could even organise live streaming jams and gigs from here. Technology makes it all possible.

Unfortunately, inertia combined with falling membership - people going to social media sites, a lack of ideas, a rehashing of old ones and a few people (possibly myself included) who should be allowed their own areas to bore people witless (whilst keeping off the main forums) would go a long way to reinvigorating the forum. 

But I doubt it'll happen, to be honest, this site has years of ingrained behaviour associated with it. But. If you're doing something and it's not working, "do something different". 

lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2019 at 04:12
Originally posted by cstack3 cstack3 wrote:

Hullo, Steve!  Any truth to the rumor that our Mr. Trump is seeking to buy Wales from the UK?  PM Boris Johnson may just sell it!  

Cardiff, here I come!!  Cheers, Charles! Clap

Hey there, Charles.

Boris would sell his gramdmother's soul for a trade deal with Mr Trumpalot. The locals are manning the barricades as we speak

The old invite for a drink should you ever visit still stands, my friend.
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2019 at 08:41
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

As said, various social media sites have had an effect on sites and forums such as this, but sites such as RateYourMusic and Reddit are going very strong -- it helps that they are not so niche. PA does get new bands added that have not yet been added to RYM, partially because we have had some very dedicated suggesters who trawl bandcamp for new releases.

I like this forum because I've been a long-time member here and like members here, but for searching for albums, I find the RateYourMusic site better for my needs. This is because I don't limit my listening to Prog, and because they use multi-tagging for albums, have more genres, I find the search albums and charts features better, and they have many great lists posted. I haven't posted there, but it's an awesome resource. Similarly, I haven't posted at Reddit but enjoy reading various threads, and have used it to discover various things -- from great crime and cult podcasts to discovering new to-me tv shows. There is such variety.

To keep growing ones membership, it helps to always be evolving and expanding (and not just by adding new obscure bands that may be of dubious quality and few would be interested in). A complaint has been that this site has stagnated in some aspects.

What's Reddit (sounds like a book site)?Confused

Yeah, one of the easest facility of RYM is that you can navigate chronologically from album to album without going backwards (babd's home page). It's something PA was also able to do (even better, you didn't have to go chronologically), but M@X took that down because it was slowing the page loading....Understantadbly too, since all of the albums were listed on the right side of the screen once you were an a particular album.

The other good RYM thing is that you can navigate on the different reissues of an album in RYM, but Discogs is much more trustworthy

But I find their forum rather uneasy and difficult to permeate.

Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2019 at 11:19
Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

What's Reddit (sounds like a book site)?Confused

Yeah, one of the easest facility of RYM is that you can navigate chronologically from album to album without going backwards (babd's home page). It's something PA was also able to do (even better, you didn't have to go chronologically), but M@X took that down because it was slowing the page loading....Understantadbly too, since all of the albums were listed on the right side of the screen once you were an a particular album.

The other good RYM thing is that you can navigate on the different reissues of an album in RYM, but Discogs is much more trustworthy

But I find their forum rather uneasy and difficult to permeate.

Reddit does indeed sound like book site as the name does indeed derive from "read it", which is better than "red'em" which could involve violence and gore.

It's a social media news site and forum. An urban dictionary definition is "A liberal atheist's nocturnal emission." and another claims "Reddit (/ˈrɛdɪt/): A large collection of douche bags and dick heads who drastically suffer from the Dunning-Kruger effect and posses a severe superiority complex, although the majority are ignorant losers and idiots." See: https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=reddit

I'm a Philip K. Dickhead, so I should fit right in.

A more serious one is "Reddit is a social news website and forum where content is socially curated and promoted by site members through voting. The site name is a play on the words 'I read it.'" https://searchcio.techtarget.com/definition/Reddit

It has a huge number of what they call subreddits, which are subcommunities with topics on all manner of things. It's a giant in the online fora world and has been associated with various controversies (not as controversial with chan ones such as 4chan and 8chan, I would think).

I discover topics of interest there through google searches, much like with Quora (Quora is a fine resource, but different again).

With rateyourmusic, I haven't got used to the forum, and like with Reddit, I come across stuff there, such as lists by users, mostly via google searches. I find it to be good site, using the custom chart, to discover albums of interest to me. I do like having album tagging, and multi-tagging, rather than just having every album by an act listed just under one master artist category. Someone might complain that I search for specific albums, rather than considering the whole oeuvre, but I may be interested in an artist's forays into psychedelic folk music and not be so interested in that same artists foray into nu metal rap.

I also find discogs more trustworthy, and when I have added albums to PA and done research on an artist's addition, that has been a more important resource for me than RYM.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2019 at 08:52
Hi,

This whole thread is so sad ... I wish someone would lock it.

THE FUTURE IS NOW!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2019 at 10:57
Originally posted by siLLy puPPy siLLy puPPy wrote:

I would say that newer crowds just don't limit themselves to prog. RYM is hugely popular and growing every day and there are more ratings for any given prog album there than there are here, however we do have a lot of newer bands here that aren't on RYM so PA is very much a unique niche market that's relevant. And yeah, even hardcore proggers such as myself are into hip hop, metal, indie pop, Tuvan throat music, well.... you name it!

And don't forget that prog has crossed over with some of those other genres(well, maybe not hip hop so much)which is something that seems to be a relatively recent phenomenon. I actually like some old rap, indie, alternative, metal, some pop, etc but admit my tastes probably aren't quite as eclectic as some on here. 
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2019 at 11:28
^^ I'm a believer in living in the moment, planning for the future, and learning from the past.

I've told people before, if a thread bothers one, consider ignoring it, and avoid bumping it as that is likely to just generate more interest in a topic (we don't all have to have to share the same interests or the same perspectives). If it violates site rules, or ones thinks it's detrimental to the site, then consider reporting it. What bothers me is sanctimonious drivel, mostly when it comes from me.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2019 at 23:55

^^ I'm a believer in living in the moment, planning for the future, and learning from the past.

I've told people before, if a thread bothers one, consider ignoring it, and avoid bumping it as that is likely to just generate more interest in a topic (we don't all have to have to share the same interests or the same perspectives). If it violates site rules, or ones thinks it's detrimental to the site, then consider reporting it. What bothers me is sanctimonious drivel, mostly when it comes from me.

In his case though its not just a thread it's just about everything!
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2019 at 05:19
Originally posted by Davesax1965 Davesax1965 wrote:

Forums naturally die, nothing goes on forever. Instead of there being just a few locations for prog rock fans on the internet, there are countless numbers of Facebook pages. You meet new people there, new ideas, you don't get irritated by the same people posting much the same stuff in the same manner. Social media has changed internet forums. 

Also, it's not about "a group of old stick in the muds" discussing music from the 60's and 70's, there's a lot of modern content on here. But few ideas, and people seem to be posting for the sake of it. "Is Katy Perry Prog / What mollusc does prog remind you of ? / Led Zeppelin versus Madonna" etc etc. There are quite a few new ideas which could be introduced, but basically PA is stuck in the weeds. 

Even if you come up with new ideas, it requires user input and users are going elsewhere. So yes, it'll die. Everything dies. Eventually. 
I agree, there's only so much you can discuss about prog, I've been here for many years and in that time I've seen just about every topic going. We could do with less of these "album vs album" type polls and more discussion around new prog bands.
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2019 at 05:21
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

I get complaints that a lot of folks don't like long responses, and will not read them

It's not just the length, it's the mostly impenetrable content.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 891011>