Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The future of PA

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 11>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Odvin Draoi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2019 at 14:04
"People come and people go," is the common attitude shown by the site/forum owners. It seems to be working to keep things going. The alternatives can be risky, or even utopic. I've never seen a popular platform that has kept all its contributors/staff. For personal reasons as well as out of a change of heart, lifestyle or priorities; some people always go. I admit that this forum used to be in its prime in the previous decade; yet what wasn't before the social media thing? Most people preferred to create their own sphere, follow, see, read and interact with the persons they choose and kept their hands off the heterogenous forums and such. The nominal "social circle" allured great masses of internet users, so the forum culture has been trying to endure, ever since.

Of course I'm not among the staff, so I cannot make profound criticisms and present deep insights about the situation of PA. Frankly, I don't see a very special case here. Even, this forum has been going better than the -rather recent- progressive music productions, from my perspective and regarding my interests.

A slight revision, though risky, might work. I don't think here needs a complete overhaul and alteration. Perhaps I'm being selfish, as this is the only music forum that still interests me. Cool
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2019 at 14:14
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

^ It is a trade-off:  things are less heated around here which is good, but it makes for less passionate and dramatic exchanges and that attracts fewer participants & onlookers.

...word
Tapfret View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tapfret Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2019 at 14:15
Originally posted by Odvin Draoi Odvin Draoi wrote:

"People come and people go," is the common attitude shown by the site/forum owners. It seems to be working to keep things going. The alternatives can be risky, or even utopic. I've never seen a popular platform that has kept all its contributors/staff. For personal reasons as well as out of a change of heart, lifestyle or priorities; some people always go. I admit that this forum used to be in its prime in the previous decade; yet what wasn't before the social media thing? Most people preferred to create their own sphere, follow, see, read and interact with the persons they choose and kept their hands off the heterogenous forums and such. The nominal "social circle" allured great masses of internet users, so the forum culture has been trying to endure, ever since.

Of course I'm not among the staff, so I cannot make profound criticisms and present deep insights about the situation of PA. Frankly, I don't see a very special case here. Even, this forum has been going better than the -rather recent- progressive music productions, from my perspective and regarding my interests.

A slight revision, though risky, might work. I don't think here needs a complete overhaul and alteration. Perhaps I'm being selfish, as this is the only music forum that still interests me. Cool

Yes, people come and go. It happened long before the internet. People come and go out of our personal lives. Places where people get paid to be there actually have people leave. Who knew?

Edited by Tapfret - July 30 2019 at 14:15
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2019 at 14:17
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

Originally posted by Barbu Barbu wrote:

^ Man, these are very harsh comments. I never met or talked to the guy so I won't go there...all I can say is that he doesn't seem to like music a great deal.

The future of PA?

The database will stay but the forum will probably closes it's doors eventually.

well...  to be blunt my good friend.  You haven't spent years involved with him so yeah.. I can honestly and with some degree of reason call him out for the motherf**king pond scum he is.

and he is why this site has such a short life span. forget the nice plattidues.. the peace and love and good dope of the music sustaining the site.  This is and was always a money making venture for him. The piece of sh*t treated the man who started this forum and created it like a dirty sock...  drove off a good many with his Torman Maxt stunt... and the list goes on.. and hey I'm being nice. He did give me my greatest forum victory over Ivan.. but that can only take one so far before one has to call a spade a spade.  

There will likely be a day.. and sooner than later that he tires of this. He doesn't care about the music.. only the money he can get from the site and it will die.  Far from accepting offers like mine of case of buttwiper and my seriously hot but completely batsh*t crazy ex wifes phone number as compensation for all the work WE put into this site.. he'll likely be like that cat we saw some time ago and want thousands for the site.

and who the f**k is going to pay that...  thus the site will die...

I hear your arguments and I certainly don't defend him but it still doesn't sound right to me. There must be more than 'only in it for the money' and 'no compensation for the hard work' for this strong resentment?
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2019 at 14:20
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

^ That's true, you do, but things were just a bit more interesting when people were having fistfights, shouting matches, blasphemous outbursts, shadowy backstage dealings, quiet coups, and threats of preemptive nuclear strikes.

I can go either way.

These were cra-cra times...it was awesome!!
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2019 at 14:22
Originally posted by Frenetic Zetetic Frenetic Zetetic wrote:

I think PA will still be here in 2026. This site is an excellent resource. I don't see the main site or even the forums really going anywhere. There's too much magic here; someone would do best to archive said magic just in case.

Originally posted by SouthSideoftheSky SouthSideoftheSky wrote:

As long as bands from the classic era continue to attract new, younger fans, there is going to be demand for a site like PA.

This.

Originally posted by Tapfret Tapfret wrote:

Believe it or not, bands from the classic era continue to be unearthed.

Also, this.

Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

I disagree(at least with part of your premise). I don't think you need to resort to baiting and insults to be passionate about the music. I see plenty of passion around here without the jr. high mentality.

One thing I've noticed, after being a member of dozens and dozens of "niche" forums over the years (music and otherwise), is that there's always going to be what I like the call the "haughty, derisive" crowd. The small group of elitists that think their standards for artistic integrity represent some objective measurement everyone else must bow down to...lest they be considered a non-genuine fan!

SMN metal forums was by far the worst in terms of that type of Jr. High BS.

As for your last comment I don't disagree. I think progressive ears is one of the worst offenders in that category. If anyone wants to see what elite prog snobism is about go there. That's not just my opinion either. Other's have noticed that as well. Another one is gnosis but they aren't a forum but instead just a bunch of raters with ratings and some reviews.
Argo2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argo2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2019 at 14:33
OK, After reading the lats few posts on page two I feel like i need a history lesson on this place. 
Tapfret View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tapfret Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2019 at 14:51
^If you've seen Star Wars and any Mexican soap-opera, just imagine a mash up of the two and you are there. Keeping in mind I only know the 2004-7 era second hand.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2019 at 14:54
Originally posted by Argo2112 Argo2112 wrote:

OK, After reading the lats few posts on page two I feel like i need a history lesson on this place. 

*spits some sort of interesting 7-11 Hibiscus green tea concoction all over monitor*

just wait for the movie.. and the soundtrack LOL

The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2019 at 15:05
Originally posted by mickcoxinha mickcoxinha wrote:

M@x is a smart man. He used people's passion to run the site for him for free. In the end, it caused many people to get angry and leave (not because they realized how smart M@x is, but because they didn't get the power and recognization their egos demanded), but now, regardless of the state of the site, it is one of the most trustworthy and complete sources for prog music, so it will stay relevant for a long time.

hmmm... interesting. I don't who the f**k you are. Sound like you think you were there. However many of those that left.. were my friends.. one in particular was then and is today one of my closest friends and damn nicest people you could ever know. Yes he left because of Torman Maxt.. and it wasn't because of that bullsh*t you are spreading there man.

He left.. others left.. not out of ego. Oh yes.. there were some serious ego's involved but M@X never stepped on those. He was very hands off of our work... where the problem began.. and ended for a good number of our 1st generation collabs.. were having some a****le profit off of our work. We did it for nothing other than our love of the music and enjoyment of mass murder and senseless violence on a forum scale.

when he compromised the integrity of the site and in the manner he did with Torman Maxt he lost a good many here.. and those that stayed.. did knowing what the score really was regarding him and his f**king puppets and yes men on the admin team... and they continued on anyway for even though we did what did for the site with no expectations of anything but .. well.. respect which we sure as not only earned but largely received
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Odvin Draoi View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Odvin Draoi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2019 at 15:07

Yes, people come and go. It happened long before the internet. People come and go out of our personal lives. Places where people get paid to be there actually have people leave. Who knew?

I wanted to emphasize my neutrality about the case in PA. (I also have no other choice as I wasn't involved as a staff member, contributor or even observer; except for some disjunctive events that I witnessed.)

I also was a reviewer in a popular music platform in my country, and left for personal reasons. I even bashed harder than this after I left. So I don't mean that your attitude is groundless, unjust and all. I just am not informed enough to have a personal conviction. Geek

Edited by Odvin Draoi - July 30 2019 at 15:10
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2019 at 15:29
Originally posted by Argo2112 Argo2112 wrote:

There is a small blurb in the "about" section. 

Other than that my recollection is that prog archives started out as a sister site to prog toes and prog lands. There was also a site called prog frogs but I'm not sure if that was related.
Tapfret View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tapfret Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2019 at 15:29

I wanted to emphasize my neutrality about the case in PA. (I also have no other choice as I wasn't involved as a staff member, contributor or even observer; except for some disjunctive events that I witnessed.)

I also was a reviewer in a popular music platform in my country, and left for personal reasons. I even bashed harder than this after I left. So I don't mean that your attitude is groundless, unjust and all. I just am not informed enough to have a personal conviction. Geek

I didn't think you were bashing anyone. I was merely pointing out that people being surprised by the transient nature of humanity (not necessarily you) in any context is a bit is more a reflection of their own denial of the human condition. Your point is accurate and addresses more specifically how that condition translates to digital sociology in a salient manner. Sorry if I was not clear or seemed terse.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2019 at 15:32
Hmm...I have been posting here for some  time now....I guess I must have missed all the drama Mick was talking about.

Ermm

One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Odvin Draoi View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Odvin Draoi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2019 at 15:42

I didn't think you were bashing anyone. I was merely pointing out that people being surprised by the transient nature of humanity (not necessarily you) in any context is a bit is more a reflection of their own denial of the human condition. Your point is accurate and addresses more specifically how that condition translates to digital sociology in a salient manner. Sorry if I was not clear or seemed terse.

I meant I bashed the site where I used to be a reviewer (it's abbreviation is also PALOL). So some reactions I see here are perfectly understandable for me. By saying "I don't see a special case here,", I intended to say that this is the site owners' normative attitude, at least as far as my observation goes. 

And thank for the reply. Thumbs Up
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2019 at 15:47
yeah.. it was rather Trumpian come to think of it...

It was 2008 .. M@X wasn't getting enough cash from the Big Mick clicking on his goddamn SPANX ads and breast reduction ads we used to have so came up with the great idea to sell monthly spotlights of artists...

problem was the one for taht month was some half talented christian prog metal band..  and the Kiddie in Chief thought it would be a good idea for the band to offer the album in mp3 for our great reviewers to review

well..  problem arose when one of our more talented album reviewers of the early days tore the album apart..

and the band said.. what the f**k M@X.. this isn't what we paid for.. so what does M@X do.. not tell them.. well next time make a better album and leave the cheesy chirstian sh*t at your church.... nope.. the damn fool started hiding reviews and negative opinions of the album.

censorship they cried hahaha  Russell left the site ASAP.. and in the collab zone there was quite a bitter disagreement on the wisdom of this beween a number of the collabs and M@X's spokesmen.. the admin team.  Those taht were doing this work.. and Doc.. it was real work we were doing.  Volunteers. A good number really felt their work was devalued and cheapened...  so they left.

and my god how the fur flew... 

Edited by micky - July 30 2019 at 15:51
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2019 at 15:57
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

yeah.. it was rather Trumpian come to think of it...

It was 2008 .. M@X wasn't getting enough cash from the Big Mick clicking on his goddamn SPANX ads and breast reduction ads we used to have so came up with the great idea to sell monthly spotlights of artists...

problem was the one for taht month was some half talented christian prog metal band..  and the Kiddie in Chief thought it would be a good idea for the band to offer the album in mp3 for our great reviewers to review

well..  problem arose when one of our more talented album reviewers of the early days tore the album apart..

and the band said.. what the f**k M@X.. this isn't what we paid for.. so what does M@X do.. not tell them.. well next time make a better album and leave the cheesy chirstian sh*t at your church.... nope.. the damn fool started hiding reviews and negative opinions of the album.

censorship they cried hahaha  Russell left the site ASAP.. and in the collab zone there was quite a bitter disagreement on the wisdom of this beween a number of the collabs and M@X's spokesmen.. the admin team.  Those taht were doing this work.. and Doc.. it was real work we were doing.  Volunteers. A good number really felt their work was devalued and cheapened...  so they left.

and my god how the fur flew... 
God I remember that!!! I downloaded both albums, the first one was a nightmare of a recording quality and the 2nd was a bit more refined sound wise but content was ughhh!

They got ripped to shreds....as far as the private collab discussions I can only imagine the feces flying everywhere....hopefully somebody pressed REC in that discussion. 
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2019 at 16:06
hahaha..  oh yeah Jose.. it was a riot.. to be honest I thought it more funny than anything but again.. some that I really liked and respected had a real problem with that so I was like.. what the hell.. and jumped in with both fists swinging for the fun of it.

I'd be shocked if it was still around, the classic team loved to atomize threads, that because bloody and messy the admins were very good about zapping those threads into atomic dust.  

Needless to say it wasn't their best of moments...
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2019 at 16:48

^If you've seen Star Wars and any Mexican soap-opera, just imagine a mash up of the two and you are there. Keeping in mind I only know the 2004-7 era second hand.

LOL  That's about right

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2019 at 17:00
Verily, I foreseeth the veritable apocalypse of noble PA when Svetonio shalt return from the obvlion prepared for him; and he shalt breaketh his chains asunder and bringeth with him a dirgeful horde of Romanian polka videos which he shalt inundate the fora and drown the site with his villainous intent. Thus shalt come the end. So sayeth Fripp.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 11>