Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The future of PA

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910 11>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jaketejas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2019 at 18:19
Originally posted by jamesbaldwin jamesbaldwin wrote:

Reading the comments, it seems to me to read the thread: THE PAST OF PA...

Instead here we're writing on the thread THE FUTURE OF PA...

It's important to know the past, but it's important to make projects for the future.

What about the future of PA?

I think it would be appropriate to give space to the discussion of the reviews, and make a Top 100 of all times compiled by collaborators and reviewers.

That's also focused on the the past. PA sponsored playlists on Spotify, especially in support of new Indie prog artists. Also, playlists of different genres. That would help a lot. Thanks.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2019 at 18:53
man.. I thnk we've been over that.

the site has no future.. it is leaderless and directionless.. and unless we make the current owner f**king disappear in a concrete foundation... it ain't going to change until one day you try to access the site and it is gone man...
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
jamesbaldwin View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamesbaldwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2019 at 20:19
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

the site has no future.. it is leaderless and directionless.. and unless we make the current owner f**king disappear in a concrete foundation... it ain't going to change until one day you try to access the site and it is gone man...

I notice that it is leaderless and directionless... but, disappear? very sad...

Why would PA disappear any minute? Who owns the site domain (who pays to keep it?)? Isn't there a way to detect it? I ask, why I don't know, and why it would be a huge loss to the network if all these archives were lost.

"Happiness is real only when shared"
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2019 at 20:20
Originally posted by Quinino Quinino wrote:

Are you volunteering to help along, Pedro?

I did a few times ... and I have a wall full of rejections ... they are my favorite art project in my life!

Ohhh ... forgot one thing ... the no replies!

AND, for the record, at 69, I probably am not sure I would be interested in it ... specially as there is no central control on what "reviews" should be and not be ... too many of them belong in a thread on PA, not in a location as a "review" ... we can keep the "ratings" but the review itself, does not belong.

And I think this lack of cohesion and definition at the top is the part that people thing helped create "progressive" ... and while that is a noble and thoughtful idea, there was a whole side of folks, specially in Europe that were experimenting with NOTHING ... and they came up with SOMETHING ... and I'll be damned ... someone even gave it a name! AND, its process can be found in film, theater, literature, painting ... and other performance arts ... at a time when watching a guy playing a couple of guitars by himself on an empty stage in a bar seemed weird ... but he did it, as did many others! He's not well remembered here on PA, sadly enough ... the courage alone is an important factor in all this, but it helped other groups/bands come around and have the guts to stand up and do something different.

I think we're missing something ... it's not me ... although I could be forced/coerced into helping here or there ... but ... it can't be work ... it has to be fun, and meaningful and a trip worth undertaking, just like ALL THAT MUSIC THAT WE LOVED LISTENING TO IN THOSE DAYS ... behind closed doors because so many folks were bubblegumming all the rest!

REMEMBER THAT ... that's all, really, that I am asking ... maybe Micky as well!

Edited by moshkito - August 02 2019 at 20:31
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2019 at 20:31

Why would PA disappear any minute? Who owns the site domain (who pays to keep it?)? Isn't there a way to detect it? I ask, why I don't know, and why it would be a huge loss to the network if all these archives were lost.

again I thought was made rather clear in the midst of this thread...

one person owns it.. one person has zero interest in the site but for the money it generates..  he is never here.  The site is on autopilot.. without a real purpose or leadership. Especially as I noted much earlier in the thread. 

this is not the oughts anymore. .the prog revival is dead. We don't have scores of people joining.. scores of bands wanting to be added.  Many have given up on this site for varous reasons and I do think have been self inflicted.. quite simply. This forum is as boring as sh*t.

The state of this site is proof enough of that.

so what happens when his kids. .and they will soon.. hit college age and needs money.. or .. cut expenses.  Or simply gets bored the further and further out of touch with this site he gets.

he invested no love, blood or effort into this site to build it. Is that database even a smidge of a concern to him. Don't bet on it.

so if he decides one day to say .. f**k it..  what will stop him. not one single god damned thing. 

bleak viewpoint I know.. but part of that large history lesson was in part explaining why this site is where it is now. Leaderless, directionless and proof enough via the history.. the owner gives one sh*t about it.   Money... and because of that.. and lack of any attachment to the content.. or the people here.. the site is one snap decision from him from being zapped into .. yep.. atomic dust man.
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Jaketejas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jaketejas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2019 at 21:13

again I thought was made rather clear in the midst of this thread...

one person owns it.. one person has zero interest in the site but for the money it generates..  he is never here.  The site is on autopilot.. without a real purpose or leadership. Especially as I noted much earlier in the thread. 

this is not the oughts anymore. .the prog revival is dead. We don't have scores of people joining.. scores of bands wanting to be added.  Many have given up on this site for varous reasons and I do think have been self inflicted.. quite simply. This forum is as boring as sh*t.

The state of this site is proof enough of that.

so what happens when his kids. .and they will soon.. hit college age and needs money.. or .. cut expenses.  Or simply gets bored the further and further out of touch with this site he gets.

he invested no love, blood or effort into this site to build it. Is that database even a smidge of a concern to him. Don't bet on it.

so if he decides one day to say .. f**k it..  what will stop him. not one single god damned thing. 

bleak viewpoint I know.. but part of that large history lesson was in part explaining why this site is where it is now. Leaderless, directionless and proof enough via the history.. the owner gives one sh*t about it.   Money... and because of that.. and lack of any attachment to the content.. or the people here.. the site is one snap decision from him from being zapped into .. yep.. atomic dust man.

Some people still want to be on it (I know that for a fact!) despite its warts and all. Someone needs to run a Mission Impossible and snag the data.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2019 at 23:51
Losing the database is unthinkable. This is something I can't contemplate but makes you wonder what the point of the internet is if that can happen. So many people have invested so much and I'm not talking about my two bit reviews. 
Just a thought but would anyone her be up for funding it? I would pay a subscription if that is what it takes. Not sure now much but something equivalent to say Netflix would be worth it imo.
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2019 at 00:06
edit: one too many.

Edited by Barbu - August 03 2019 at 14:24
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2019 at 02:05
It seems we all agree that the PA forums are close to the edge, but not right away.

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2019 at 07:02
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Losing the database is unthinkable. This is something I can't contemplate but makes you wonder what the point of the internet is if that can happen. So many people have invested so much and I'm not talking about my two bit reviews. 

You really think that a person trump'ting about nothing would give a damn about the content in the database? 
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2019 at 07:04
Originally posted by Frenetic Zetetic Frenetic Zetetic wrote:

It seems we all agree that the PA forums are close to the edge, but not right away.

PLEASE .... you have to allow us to go through our religious cereMONIES first .... so will see all this after TFTO.
www.pedrosena.com
Jaketejas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jaketejas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2019 at 08:12
I talked about having to go through playlisters to get on Spotify, which is two-edged.  On the one hand, you get your music out there and perhaps it is a form of confirmation that one's music has value to someone who supposedly knows something about music.  However, it can result in compromised music, because the playlister may request alterations.  Yes, musicians pay $ to get playlisted.

The other point I should make is internet free radio, which artists know as Radioairplay (our side of it) and listeners know as Jango.  Internet free radio is not free.  Artists pay $ so that their songs can be heard.  It works like this.  I plop down two weeks worth of groceries, and I receive 4000 radio plays on Jango.  If my song resonates with people, then I receive a PopScore, which grants me additional free radio plays.  It isn't the amount of $ I put down that gives me a PopScore.  It is how much the folks are INTERACTING with the music.  I hope that's clear.

When you listen to a band you like and you don't thumbs up, then guess what?  You aren't doing the artist you enjoy listening to any favors.

If I want to do prog, which is not popular, then I'm forced again into a compromise situation.  I'm not made of $.  Money doesn't grow on trees (remember your parents telling you that?).  So, I must shoot for getting my PopScore up high enough that I get additional free plays, but at the same time struggle with not allowing my music to become too compromised.

So, that's what we did.  Is it a form of selling out?  To an extent, yes, obviously it is.  Do I have a choice?  Yes.  I can either let my music sit on my computer never to be heard, or I can work within the system.

We released 8 songs and are on our 2nd full week.  In the first week, 5 of the songs received PopScores that were high enough to grant additional free radio plays.  We seem on track to hit the same target.

Now, how do I use Jango to get some information as to whether our music is prog?  What we do is choose song-targeting and pick "sounds like" artists and many of those are prog bands.  But, I don't want just prog people listening, or I can't get my PopScores up high enough to keep the radio campaign going.  There just aren't that many of us out there.  So, I also choose bands in music located in genres related to prog.

If someone really likes the music, then they can become a fan.  Yippeee!  Does that mean I get $15 for selling my CD?  No, but I do sincerely appreciate the gesture (yes, someone is relating to my work!), and it can help get us additional radio plays.

Radioairplay is wonderful for an Indie artist like me, because I can get the music out there.  But, it is also a double edged sword.  At the same time, it limits what we can do because if we stray too far from the average listener, the radio campaign ends quickly.

So, when you are choosing bands for PA, realize that artists are playing under a new set of rules.  We are ham-stringed from having complete freedom.  

To an extent, even under the old rules, bands had to make their music accessible to a point or be cut from their label.  We all know the story of how 2112 was make it or break it for Rush, because their albums (despite the fact that I enjoy those early ones) weren't making bank.  At least back then, the labels gave them time to develop.  These days, you either fund your project yourself (starving artists and some freedom, some compromise), or you swim fast or sink with a label, because they're not going to put up with low stats.

It's all very well for reviewers to say ... well, this isn't proggy enough.  But, you try writing an album, recording all the instrumentation with your limited budget, and then try to promote it.  It's hard work folks ... much harder than reviewing bands. 

Food for thought.  This has been my second lesson in Indie music 101.

Edited by Jaketejas - August 03 2019 at 08:27
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2019 at 08:33
Look at the bright side: you still have time to post another Yes vs. Genesis poll.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
Howard the Duck View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Howard the Duck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2019 at 08:54

Leaving all the topics far from far behind
We relieve the tension only to find out the webmaster's name
MacGyver can do a super guitar solo with a broom and an elastic band. Can you do better?

Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2019 at 10:22

well.. seems you missed all the good ones Torman Maxt and S.D. hahah.  i do remember.. as you were not exactly an angel (though few of those really existed in the early wild west days of the site).. but as the conflicts became more ugly, more personal, and thus more bloody but were largely behind the scenes...you had pretty much checked out of the site by then.

Yup, I was in the thick of thing LOL Evil Smile and bombing the trenches ahead of mePig... But being in a Censoredtrench, you obviously don't have a total picture of the battlefield Nuke, so some of them battles flew over my head - luckily so, because or else whatever private & professional life I had managed to save upOuch would'e gone down te drain, if I'd have jumped in on other fights.

We can laugh about 10 years later and see it as fun times, but back then, it was pretty serious sh*t going down, and you're right, after a while, I did check out Hotel Progifornia to keep my sanity +/- sane Wacko, but since "you can never leave" Shocked, I returned a bit after my car crash in a highway pile-up. I take things cooler nowadays. Ying Yang

Edited by Sean Trane - August 03 2019 at 10:22
2dogs View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2dogs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2019 at 22:59
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Just a thought but would anyone her be up for funding it? I would pay a subscription if that is what it takes. Not sure now much but something equivalent to say Netflix would be worth it imo.

This is the nature of the internet and our society where every web site has its owner and needs continuous funding to remain in existence. It’s an incredibly ambitious thing to do but the Internet Archive attempts to preserve this information, including its changes through time. For example:

Put “Prog Archives” in the “Wayback Machine” search field and select www.progarchives.com.

Click 2006.

Click the blue Mar 28 then the blue snapshot time.

Click the PA Electronic Prog link.

Click the Tangerine Dream link under the Phaedra cover.

Scroll down and you’ll see the discography ends in 2006.

Most likely you’d start from the most recent snapshot but in the event a load of stuff had been deleted you might want to go back in time. Or look at the database at a time when it only contained real prog artists .
"There is nothing new except what has been forgotten" - Marie Antoinette
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2019 at 02:40
Serious question: what are this site's hosting and domain costs? Is this something that if it came down to it, the community could take over or have a donation based database, etc, so it's not susceptible to one person just clocking out and the site tanking....?

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2019 at 07:38

Serious question: what are this site's hosting and domain costs? Is this something that if it came down to it, the community could take over or have a donation based database, etc, so it's not susceptible to one person just clocking out and the site tanking....?

The information about the website and its registration is public record ... however, sometimes the information is hidden behind a fake company, although to my knowledge, fake addresses are not legal on those things but it is done all the time with addresses in Patagonia in Venus!
www.pedrosena.com
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2019 at 09:19

THe only true answer would be to set up an alternative website which would be an undertaking of manumental proporations. Given that Rate Your Music covers all aspects of music, it seems less likely that a niche site could be successfully replicated unless vast amounts of $$$ are involved.

I don't see this site going anywhere soon. Yeah, perhaps the numbers are down but it still remains a vital resource as a database. If you search  for any given prog band on any given search engine then PA almost always comes up near the top of the list.

Logic dictates that despite the utter neglect that this site is at least profitable and at the most a veritable goldmine.

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldFriede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2019 at 09:38
There is so much music out there to be discovered. I have tried out many modern recommendations, but mostly they are not interesting for me. They might have been interesting had they been published in the late 60s or early 70s, but from new releases I expect something more than just "samo, samo". There just are hardly any drastically new developments. The Red Masque, who are extremely underappreciated on this site, are one of the few bands who explore new territories, which is probably why they are underappreciated because most people are not really keen to hear something very different. And yes, this means YOU!

Jean and I have taken to exploring the 60s and 70s for really obscure bands (and not just prog ones). The variety of rock music was just so big back then, especially in the 60s. And of course our interest has shifted to classical music, and there are so many discoveries to be made there.

Edited by BaldFriede - August 04 2019 at 09:38

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910 11>