Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

If One Likes Neo Prog...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ridgeback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: If One Likes Neo Prog...
    Posted: August 01 2019 at 09:52
Since we have to have a label... and listens extensively to Airbag, Pendragon, Porcupine Tree, SW, Sylvan, Anathema, Frequency Drift, Gazpacho, Mileneum, (some) Marillion, IQ, and RPWL... suggestion for others in that vein? Groups that sound more Pink Floydish.

I’m not at all into Genesis, ELP, King Crimson, VDDG etc.

Thoughts?
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2019 at 11:14
Check out the similar bands to Pink Floyd thread. Anyway, it sounds like you are mostly into modern prog so it shouldn't be too difficult to find other recent bands in that style. Have you heard Astra yet? Definitely look into them.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2019 at 11:35
I'm not into Neo-Prog as defined by the site, but I have been very into Pink Floyd (especially early Pink Floyd) so sorry if I concentrate more on the Pink FLoydish angle than the rest, which is admittedly not the greatest approach. It would be pretty simple for me to make modern spacey/pysch suggestion that have some Pink Floyd vibe such as Lamp of the Universe but I wouldn't think that's quite what you're after.

Maybe you'd like PAUW:

And VSTRS:

But then again, maybe not, and I'm totally the wrong one to make a recommendation.
Just a fanboy passin' through.
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2019 at 11:51
As a big fan of Neo prog bands, I can probably make quite a few recommendations.  I am a fan of all of the artists that you have listed.  One band that comes to mind is Freedom to Glide.  I think that they might appeal to a Pink Floyd fan.  They have released the third album in a trilogy.

Here is a sample from their latest album Seed:

And here is a link to their bandcamp page.  https://freedomtoglide.bandcamp.com/album/seed

See what you think, and I will give some thought to some other suggestions. 
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2019 at 14:13
I find it odd that you are not into Genesis, KC, ELP, and VDGG.....since the 'Neo-Prog' bands you named above have plenty of those other bands in their musical mix.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Odvin Draoi View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Odvin Draoi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2019 at 14:23
Satellite (whole discography)
Collage - Moonshine
Silhouette (whole discography)
Quidam - Alone Together

They first came to my mind.
Quinino View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Quinino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2019 at 14:47
You mean Millenium, for sure (not mileneum, right?), cause that would be a valid suggestion.
Have you tried Anekdoten ? (filed as Heavy) - try their latest, from 2015, and/or go for the Chapters compilation which perfectly sums up their previous output.
Transatlantic could be another bet.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2019 at 15:00
oh let me answer that Alex...

... then one lives in momma's basement and has a great relationship with ones hand!

so what do I win...
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Ridgeback View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ridgeback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2019 at 16:58
Micky you inbred: What do you win? You already had your sister and your grand mom, doesn’t that count as a prize in your twisted dipsh*t world?

As to the other excellent suggestions, I look forward to listening to them. I had meant to listen to Quiddam in the past and they fell off my radar. Satellite I thought I would love but other then A Street Between Sunrise and Sunset, they didn’t click. The other suggestions are made of bands unknown to me. I will be checking them out. I would particularly love to find a band like Airbag. They seem entirely unique.

Thanks to all suggestions folks. Much appreciated
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2019 at 17:03
hahahah..   Beer
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Ridgeback View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ridgeback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2019 at 17:06
As to the accurate comment about the bands I listened to have elements of Yes, Genesis et al. Undoubtedly that’s very true. I mean they are pioneers of the genre. It’s likely impossible to get away from them. That said having flashes of influence doesn’t bother me. I find that the bands I listed play with passion as opposed to playing with pure technical brilliance. I prefer a less complex song oozing with heartfelt emotion as opposed to a King Crimson technique of cold professionalism.
Odvin Draoi View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Odvin Draoi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2019 at 18:33
Matter of Taste - Chateau Obscure is another that has come to my mind, which is really obscure.

Also (recalled after checking the PA search facility),

Anubis - A Tower of Silence, Pallas - The Dreams of Men, Cosmograf - When the Age Has Done Its Duty, Subsignal - Touchstones, Knight Arena - Nine Paths, Docker's Guild - The Mystic Technocracy - Season 1: The Age of Ignorance are among the ones I like.

If you don't want to limit yourself with neo-prog, you may check some Kingcrow, Sieges Even etc.

Also perhaps Hemlock - Exordium might interest you. Less complex and full of emotion.

Perhaps Cirrus Bay albums might be interesting too.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2019 at 23:52
Originally posted by Ridgeback Ridgeback wrote:

As to the accurate comment about the bands I listened to have elements of Yes, Genesis et al. Undoubtedly that’s very true. I mean they are pioneers of the genre. It’s likely impossible to get away from them. That said having flashes of influence doesn’t bother me. I find that the bands I listed play with passion as opposed to playing with pure technical brilliance. I prefer a less complex song oozing with heartfelt emotion as opposed to a King Crimson technique of cold professionalism.

Understandable totally.

You've listed a lot of bands I like especially Anathema ,IQ and PT.

I guess you may have come across Magenta but if not then check out Seven for sure.

Again a very obvious one is Big Big Train but in the unlikely event you haven't come across them then I can recommend English Electric Part One and Part Two certainly.

A bit left field but you may like the indie prog band Mansun that made only 4 albums. Their most challenging is Six.

I might going astray a bit but what about Muse? Absolution is a monster of an album. Since then they have mainly concentrated on heavy synth based pop/rock but don't overlook Absolution because of that!

Quinino View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Quinino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2019 at 09:16
Try This - Riversea
miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miamiscot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2019 at 08:44

Since we have to have a label... and listens extensively to Airbag, Pendragon, Porcupine Tree, SW, Sylvan, Anathema, Frequency Drift, Gazpacho, Mileneum, (some) Marillion, IQ, and RPWL... suggestion for others in that vein? Groups that sound more Pink Floydish.

Thoughts?

Are you in the right place?
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2019 at 08:46
Originally posted by miamiscot miamiscot wrote:

Thoughts?

Are you in the right place?

LOL

Weird how he didn't mention Yes but I doubt he would like them either.
Quinino View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Quinino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2019 at 08:49
Though he cared to mention etc  (symphonic) !!!
Dopeydoc View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Dopeydoc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2019 at 16:04
Try those:
The Watch - Vacuum (Genesis flavor)
Seven Steps to the Green Door - Fetish
Mystery - Lies and Butterflies
Moonrise - StepOver life
Jadis - Across the Water
Iluvatar - Children
Galahad - Seas of Change
Eternal Wanderers - The Mystery of the Cosmic Sorrow
Edison's Children - The Fina Breath before November
Cosmograph - The Man left in Space
Arena - Contagion

Ridgeback View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ridgeback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2019 at 17:10
Am I in the right place? Well, I hope so. Isn’t this the Barry Manilow Fanilow Forum?   All right, yeah, good point, I’m not a huge Yes fan either. Never cared much for Jon Anderson’s voice. But I am a huge Pink Floyd fan. Hence, I believe I’m in the right place albeit maybe a little different from most of the people here. But hell, y’all don’t want everyone the same, do you? I mean that would make for such interesting conversations. Person 1” Yes are veritable rock legends. They are close to divine.” Person 2: “I agree. I wear my 1978 Yes concert shirt daily under my suit.” Person 3 “Yes was iconoclastic, and years ahead of their time. Their music displayed extraordinary passages that rippled the fabric of the time/space continuum.” Person 4 “Jon Anderson is as cute as a button.” Me: “Yes sounds like aural sandpaper “.

Thanks for the myriad of suggestions thus far, amigos. Much appreciated and I’m still listening to them one by one.

And for those Yes fans who were offended by the above. Don’t be. Just be sure to see an audiologists sometime in your near future. Only kidding...
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2019 at 17:14
Originally posted by Quinino Quinino wrote:

Though he cared to mention etc  (symphonic) !!!

No real prog fan would consider Yes to be part of an etc. Wink 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>