Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Biggest Band Drop-off After One Quits/Fired

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2019 at 08:46
^
We're not talking about rebounds (those two non Bruce albums are horrible).  Personally i found Innuendo boring. Nothing after The Game really does it for me. Nothing is more tortuous to my ears than Hogarth era Marillion Ouch You're right about Megadeth but they really lost it after he left because of that crap called Risk. You're right about Genesis but still a slight drop.

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Icarium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2019 at 08:54
Originally posted by siLLy puPPy siLLy puPPy wrote:

Originally posted by Icarium Icarium wrote:

Originally posted by 2dogs 2dogs wrote:

Speaking of going commercial, Ultravox! after John Foxx.
The drop is not that great, as both version is both quite awesome

I agree with this one! I love both versions of Ultravox. The synthpop era is some of the best new wave however i do prefer the earlier post-punk overall.
some of those songs like the Voicd are a nice crossover between Post-punk and new wave, the bass and drums is post punk and the synth and vocals are new wave. And many tsongs on Vienna and Rage in Eden are experimentive
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2019 at 09:00
^ yeah, Ultravox was a really cool band and one of the rare examples where it worked on both sides of the fence as well as in between transitions. Midge Ure pulled it off quite well.

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Icarium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2019 at 09:24
they Killing Joke, Japan, Tears, the Police for Fears and Nik Kershaw are my favourite 70s transition and 80s artists

Edited by Icarium - August 15 2019 at 09:25
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Icarium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2019 at 10:36
Originally posted by siLLy puPPy siLLy puPPy wrote:

^ yeah, Ultravox was a really cool band and one of the rare examples where it worked on both sides of the fence as well as in between transitions. Midge Ure pulled it off quite well.
Midge Ure is a favourite vocalist of mine, hes range is quite good.

Edited by Icarium - August 15 2019 at 10:38
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2019 at 11:50
^Ultravox "Hymn" is one of my favorite 80s songs.  They had quite a few other very good to excellent numbers
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2019 at 11:51
The Pogues were certainly never the same after Shane left

Edited by kenethlevine - August 15 2019 at 11:51
MortSahlFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MortSahlFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2019 at 12:55
I'll also add

Peter Green leaving Fleetwood Mac
Peter Gabriel leaving Genesis
Roger Hodgson leaving Supertramp
https://www.youtube.com/c/LoyalOpposition

https://www.scribd.com/document/382737647/MortSahlFan-Song-List
dwill123 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dwill123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2019 at 16:31
Big Brother & Holding Company

Edited by dwill123 - August 15 2019 at 16:37
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2019 at 16:43
Alice Cooper after the band left.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
MortSahlFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MortSahlFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2019 at 06:40
Chuck Negron being fired from Three Dog Night due to his heroin use.

Edited by MortSahlFan - August 16 2019 at 06:40
https://www.youtube.com/c/LoyalOpposition

https://www.scribd.com/document/382737647/MortSahlFan-Song-List
dwill123 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dwill123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2019 at 15:15
The James Gang
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Icarium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2019 at 16:22
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

Alice Cooper after the band left.
Alice Cooper lost something major when he went solo, the songwriting of Michael Bruce abd the bass- sound of Dennis Dunaway

Edited by Icarium - August 16 2019 at 16:23
ForestFriend View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ForestFriend Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2019 at 16:48
Does Yes count? We can probably argue about which member brought about the big drop-off. I want to say Steve Howe, although Downes and Horn left at the same time... but they were both replaced with former members. Maybe some people might say it was when Bruford left, or much later on when the band continued on without Anderson, or maybe Squire's death was the last straw.
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2019 at 17:05
I never really cared for the Who after Keith Moon died. Likewise, the same regarding AC/DC after Bon Scott died.

Just musicians leaving, I would say I never cared for the Rolling Stones after Mick Taylor left, and I liked David Bowie less after Mick Ronson took his razor-sharp guitar elsewhere.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
Howard the Duck View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Howard the Duck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2019 at 17:09
Yes - a death by a thousand cuts. So many talented players - and for a while, if one left, they usually could find a pretty decent replacement.

As a hardcore Bruforite, I would say that after he left the rhythm section suffered a massive loss - but some of White's first albums with the band were quite strong, despite being in a different, more straightforward rock style - great moments to be heard on TfTO and Relayer, and he also matched Squire pretty well on Drama by attempting a Peart-lite hard rock style, if you will. You can hear how solid they were even when only the Squire-White-Howe power trio remained in the pre-Drama sessions, just after Anderson and Wakeman left/Horne and Downes joined.

But I think when they kicked out Anderson it was starting to get pretty questionable as to whether or not they could still lay claim to the Yes name, at least at that point, in terms of line-up - even though I actually really enjoy both versions of Fly from Here.

I think Benoit was a stronger singer for that material than Horne even (though I've always respected his songwriting), and for me he brought a more unique sound to the vocals than the Glass Hammer guy, who just sounds super-forced and amateurish to me.

But after Squire died I really think they should have thrown in the towel, especially considering that they still didn't bother to get Anderson to return. If they had wanted to continue on as ... whatever it is they are now... they should have called themselves Steve Howe's Yestacular or something.

Edited by Howard the Duck - August 17 2019 at 11:49
MacGyver can do a super guitar solo with a broom and an elastic band. Can you do better?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12