Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Proggers that Nobody Hates

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2019 at 00:16
I didn't think the thread was about music taste so I don't understand the comments about excessive virtuosity which is entirely subjective anyway. If you don't like something don't listen to it. 

Edited by richardh - September 10 2019 at 00:17
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2019 at 00:48
I can't think of anyone who hates Brian Eno, he's made huge contributions to prog, glam and pop-rock over the years.
I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2019 at 02:02
Originally posted by dougmcauliffe dougmcauliffe wrote:

Peter Gabriel
Tony Banks
Jon Anderson
Bill Bruford
Nick Mason
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

Steven Wilson
John Wetton
Rick Wakeman
Chris Squire
Keith Emerson
Greg Lake 

not particularly a fan of these dudes, TBH

They all have a certain form of arrogance that I don't like (I prefer Roger Waters' TBH), but at least Wakeman is funny and Emo honest about himself being a prick.

Originally posted by Rrattlesnake Rrattlesnake wrote:

Daevid Allen, can't go wrong with him

StarClapStarClapClapStarClapStarClapStar

Edited by Sean Trane - September 10 2019 at 02:04
Spacegod87 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spacegod87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2019 at 06:39
Proggers that Nobody Hates...that narrows it down quite a bit.
Uhh... I guess I've never really heard much hate for Peter Hammill,and for good reason.

dougmcauliffe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2019 at 08:51
Does anyone dislike Steve Hackett? I can’t imagine why.
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2019 at 08:55
The Phish boys of course.
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerinski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2019 at 09:50
John Jowitt, Mike Holmes and Martin Orford from IQ.
Tony Levin.
Jordan Rudess
Pete Trewavas
Brian May
Allan Morse and Dave Meros
Fully agree with the 3 members of Rush

NutterAlert View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NutterAlert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2019 at 10:22
met a few when I worked at a UK venue few years ago

my fav were guys from gryphon who were all lovely and regaled tales of their Madison square gigs in 70s.  easily the nicest person I have ever spoken to was Guy Evans who spent 40 mins pre-gig chatting and being an all round nice guy 

won't name the nobs but I met a few.. actually its usually the tour manager who were dicks trying to justify their existence.
Proud to be an un-banned member since 2005
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2019 at 11:25
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

I know for certain nobody "hates" Wendy Carlos and Vangelis.

apart from Tony Palmer Wink

LOL
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2019 at 13:09
Neal Morse
Roine Stolt
Pete Trewavas

siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2019 at 13:32
This subject reminds me of this 80s country song that my cousin loved so much.  LOL

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
dougmcauliffe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2019 at 14:31
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

Neal Morse
Roine Stolt
Pete Trewavas

Oh man there's 100% neal morse haters, most of his solo albums have like 5% 1 stars. But at the same time, whenever a new Neal Morse album comes out, it seems hundreds of silent morse fans come out of the woods with 5 star ratings to balance it out.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2019 at 15:35

Neal Morse
Roine Stolt
Pete Trewavas

Oh man there's 100% neal morse haters, most of his solo albums have like 5% 1 stars. But at the same time, whenever a new Neal Morse album comes out, it seems hundreds of silent morse fans come out of the woods with 5 star ratings to balance it out.
That's because of his religious tones, but the guy is very likeable irregardless of his music. Wife and I have met him couple times, super nice man.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2019 at 15:54

Neal Morse
Roine Stolt
Pete Trewavas

That's because of his religious tones, but the guy is very likeable irregardless of his music. Wife and I have met him couple times, super nice man.

Hate is such a strong word, but most people make enemies at some time in their lives.

He may be a very likable man, but some not only despise his music because of the religious tones, but also the man himself. Ivan was very big detractor when it came to Neal Morse. CLICK for thread Perhaps he's not the only Catholic who was offended by Morse's subject matter.

I din't think Ivan ever said that he hated the man, but he does accuse Morse of hate speech of a kind.

Originally posted by Ivan Ivan wrote:

I didn't tuned this into a hate dialogue, Neal Morse did it when he called the church of 1,300 million people a harlot, our doctrines bloody and our sains Roman gods

If you can't see that, well I can't do anything, even Protestant pastors (Who are not blinded by fatacism) here notice it.

It should be obvious for everybody, because it's more than evident.

Edited by Logan - September 10 2019 at 15:58
Just a fanboy passin' through.
jamesbaldwin View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamesbaldwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2019 at 15:57
Hammill is my favorite musician and I have a very good opinion about him, as a person, for that little I am given to know. 

I'm sorry, though, that he had a fight with Dave Jackson, another person I highly respect, and that this led to a disconnect between the two, of which VdGG were affected.
"Happiness is real only when shared"
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2019 at 16:13
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

Neal Morse
Roine Stolt
Pete Trewavas

Hate is such a strong word, but most people make enemies at some time in their lives.

He may be a very likable man, but some not only despise his music because of the religious tones, but also the man himself. Ivan was very big detractor when it came to Neal Morse. CLICK for thread Perhaps he's not the only Catholic who was offended by Morse's subject matter.

I din't think Ivan ever said that he hated the man, but he does accuse Morse of hate speech of a kind.

Originally posted by Ivan Ivan wrote:

I didn't tuned this into a hate dialogue, Neal Morse did it when he called the church of 1,300 million people a harlot, our doctrines bloody and our sains Roman gods

If you can't see that, well I can't do anything, even Protestant pastors (Who are not blinded by fatacism) here notice it.

It should be obvious for everybody, because it's more than evident.

I'm good with it...Heck there has been worse things said about the church. As a Catholic I take very little offense to not much if any of it at all. 
Last week I went to a concert where the band plays a song about 666, we all sung along and pumped our fists...but I reject Satan emphatically, the song is art. And there are parents who name their kids Damien....
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2019 at 16:22
Were you at a Dwarves show, Catcher? LOL
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2019 at 16:24
Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

Were you at a Dwarves show, Catcher? LOL

LOLLOL
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2019 at 22:59
I dare anyone to hate Annie Haslam!  Impossible! 
I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2019 at 00:04
Originally posted by cstack3 cstack3 wrote:

I dare anyone to hate Annie Haslam!  Impossible! 

apparently her feet are very special LOL
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>