Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Proggers that Nobody Hates

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote essexboyinwales Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2019 at 06:04
Originally posted by Gerinski Gerinski wrote:

John Jowitt, Mike Holmes and Martin Orford from IQ

I was about to mention Mike Holmes, and also Peter Nicholls.  If anyone has any reason to not like the former, please say why, and I will then ignore it forthwith....

Martin Orford upset a few people when he left IQ, or maybe for things he said in the aftermath (I can't remember exactly) but I think he was going through some major issues at the time, and we all say things we regret when we're not in a good place....
Progosopher View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progosopher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2019 at 10:10
It is difficult to say who is a genuinely nice person except by personal contact. A jerk can even be gracious in an interview. I have had few interactions with major Prog stars but have had a few with some lesser known artists: The blokes in Fairport Convention were all super cool, especially Chris Leslie and Dave Pegg who grabbed me at random for a photo for another fan. I wish I had  a copy of that. I also met members of the band Tempest (U.S. version) in the mid-90s. Original guitarist Rob Wullenjohn was super cool and seemed like the nicest guy in the world. I find it gratifying to read the stories of true interactions where the artists are real people happy to connect with their fans. The story of Geoff Downes showing off his equipment like a school boy is simply enchanting.
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2019 at 10:26
And with personal contact one can't always tell who is genuinely nice, even with fairly extensive personal contact. There are murderous psychopaths who have seemed really nice and helpful. Many people have good and bad days, and a pretty horrible person may do seeming acts of kindness at one time and despicable things at other times (perhaps to other people). Your neigbour who has been consistently kind to you might also have a sex slave dungeon in the basement, if said person has a basement that is.
Just a fanboy passin' through.
Argo2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argo2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2019 at 10:51
I met Alan White once & he seems like the nicest guy.  With all the egos in Yes I have never heard of anyone having a problem with him. 
 (South Side of The Sky playing in the background as I type this)

Edited by Argo2112 - September 11 2019 at 10:52
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2019 at 10:57
Is there really anyone out there that someone doesn't hate? Seems like that doesn't exist in this world. Personally i don't hate anyone but i may not enjoy their particular musical expressions. 

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2019 at 11:29
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

Your neigbour who has been consistently kind to you might also have a sex slave dungeon in the basement, if said person has a basement that is.

Let's be serious Logan. I have never bought this 'mentality of the terrified' (everybody's a potential psychopath) and I think it's better to leave that to young parents who are scared of everything.

Edited by Barbu - September 11 2019 at 12:01
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2019 at 11:54
Originally posted by Argo2112 Argo2112 wrote:

I met Alan White once & he seems like the nicest guy.  With all the egos in Yes I have never heard of anyone having a problem with him. 
 (South Side of The Sky playing in the background as I type this)

I agree. I met him and that was my experience also. He even asked my name which is pretty rare(I think the only other musician to do that was Robbie Steinhardt from Kansas).  I'm ok with if it if they don't or aren't super friendly though. Many of these musicians meet tons of people so it's not that big of a deal to them to meet you or get to know you. Jon Anderson was pretty friendly to me too though even though I've heard a lot of stories about him and how he's been a jerk etc. That wasn't my experience though. Another musician considered friendly is Steve Hackett who I only met very briefly once so I don't have much to go on but in the 45 seconds or so I met him he seemed nice for sure. Peter Hammill is another friendly one.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2019 at 12:05
Originally posted by Barbu Barbu wrote:

Your neigbour who has been consistently kind to you might also have a sex slave dungeon in the basement, if said person has a basement that is.

Let's be serious Logan. I have never bought this 'mentality of the terrified' (everybody's a potential psycopath) and I think it's better to leave that to young parents who are scared of everything.

Be afraid, be very afraid. Trust no one.    Potentially there's a crazed communist who may also be a cannibal under one's bed right now. I've heard that there's a red under every bed, but I'm sure most are not cannibals . Well, not my bed, I'm smart, there's no space under my bed for cannibals, red or otherwise, to lurk (under the bed bear traps are more trouble than they are worth, I find).

I'm an older parent, with my youngest being twelve, who has a fantastic fear of everything, but tries to give my kids a sense of freedom.

Apparently about one percent of the population is psychopathic, but that doesn't mean that most are monstrous. You might well have met some very pleasant psychopaths. The barrage of negative news does make people more wary/scared than is warranted.

Statistically, I know that you're much more likely to be struck by lightning multiple times than held captive by a Devil worshiping, country music loving, mustache-twirling, crazed cannibal rapist in a beret with a penchant for fine wine, Cheese Whiz and torture, and owning a pet Gimp.   But that doesn't mean that my irrational side doesn't fear that one day that beret-wearing, mustache-twirling monster might find me and lock me up in my non-beret wearing psychopathic neighbour's sex dungeon, do unspeakable things before covering me with Cheese Whiz, then dine on my delectables.

But I don't want to scare people. You'll probably be fine and manage to avoid those sex-starved cannibals and not get locked up in your neighbour's dungeon.

Edited by Logan - September 11 2019 at 12:11
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2019 at 12:34
^ If I ever met a real one be sure that he will pass a bad quarter of an hour with me.

Your original post reminded me of something that made me smile: some years ago I asked a girl I barely knew to go out for a drink with me, it was done rather clumsily and she politely declined the invitation, of course. A couple of days later I was telling this little story to one of my female friend...'Are you unconscious?' she asked. 'You don't know her and you asked her to go out with you, just like that?' Absolutely, I said (just like in the good old days). 'and how can she be certain that you don't have a sexual slave in your basement?!?' she asked again. Highly laughable but she was f**king serious man.

Complicated? You bet, baby!

Edited by Barbu - September 11 2019 at 13:30
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerinski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2019 at 14:00
Did you perhaps meet the Count of Tuscany? LOL
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2019 at 14:15
Originally posted by Barbu Barbu wrote:

^ If I ever met a real one be sure that he will pass a bad quarter of an hour with me.

Your original post reminded me of something that made me smile: some years ago I asked a girl I barely knew to go out for a drink with me, it was done rather clumsily and she politely declined the invitation, of course. A couple of days later I was telling this little story to one of my female friend...'Are you unconscious?' she asked. 'You don't know her and you asked her to go out with you, just like that?' Absolutely, I said (just like in the good old days). 'and how can she be certain that you don't have a sexual slave in your basement?!?' she asked again. Highly laughable but she was f**king serious man.

Complicated? You bet, baby!

In a similar situation, I'd probably make some stupid joke back that might get her to call the cops, or alternately, and this is rather less likely, I'd miss out on an exciting opportunity.

Girl: "And how can she be certain that you don't have a sexual slave in your basement?"

Me: "Hmm, well why don't you come to my basement and find out for yourself?"

Girl: "Well, when you put it that way, shall I bring the bondage gear?"

Me: "Uh, no, I was just kidding around."

Girl (surprised): "Oh, uh well okay then, see you around I guess."

Me: "Wait, I just meant it's just me there and I really don't have any slaves in my mother's basement, mother wouldn't like it, but I would love to...."

Girl hurries off

Me: (to myself) "Doh, what an idiot I am! Looks like it's just me home alone with my deceased mother again."

Not that I live in my mother's basement, but you get the idea. The last bit is just for a Psycho vibe. The truth is funnier than fiction, and the truth is, I   used to often say the wrong things around girls. Still do, but my wife doesn't count, which also sounds like the wrong thing to say.
Argo2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argo2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2019 at 14:52
^ Norman Bates guide on how to pick up girls!  LOL
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2019 at 18:07
Yep, one in a hundred so I wouldn't really worry about psychopaths if I were you. But one irrefutable and totally undeniable fact, girls, is that we're all depraved perverts bwahahaha
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2019 at 11:08
^^ If no one has published "Norman Bates Guide on How to Pick up Girls!" yet, it sounds like a winner. :) Much better than "How to Pick Up That Special Someone in Six Easy to Transport Pieces" But now I'm getting too horrific, which might lead to this PA member being dismembered at the forum.

And yes, men are depraved perverts. It's the ones who pretend not to be of which one sometimes needs to be most wary... Which is kind of like those Proggers who seem really nice, but are sending subliminal codes messages in those complex time signatures that translate to "Forget about buying your girlfriend or spouse something nice on Valentine's Day, buy my music instead! You'll be so much happier".

While I can't say that there'a anybody who nobody hates, one who seemed well-liked by fans is Devin Townsend. The one I'd most like to meet is Robert Wyatt, but I expect he's made some enemies over the years, and his old "God Song" with Matching Mole, his Communism, and his references to Mao, might have inspired some personal hate. Some hate his vocals, but that's another matter. I really haven't looked much into finding out that much about musicians personal lives on the whole, nor save Roger Waters, which followed a hugely embarrassing incident as I had mixed tranquilisers with drink, have I spoken in person to any Prog musicians that I can recall right now.
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2019 at 11:51

nor save Roger Waters

Man, that was a quite hilarious story. Ridicule does not kill except when it's done in front of someone like Roger Waters, I can only imagine the look on is face.

Better to laugh than cry, of course, but on the spot it must have been a quite painful and traumatic moment.    
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2019 at 12:03
and good call with Devy...definitely one of the boys.
admireArt View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote admireArt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2019 at 01:26
Steve Hillage
&
Conrad Schnitzler
Aidan Baker
Alio Die
Bruce Gilbert
and probably 89% of the PE community , cause you can´t hate who you don´t know. Big smileWink
patrickq View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patrickq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2019 at 06:57
Originally posted by siLLy puPPy siLLy puPPy wrote:

This subject reminds me of this 80s country song that my cousin loved so much.  LOL

Your cousin and me both! I still love it so much.
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rednight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2019 at 13:16
jon anderson
tony banks
greg lake
rick wakeman
chris squire
carl palmer
steve hackett
john wetton
bill bruford
steve howe

A rather shallow list omitting a few more that probabaly should have come to mind.
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
enigma View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote enigma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2019 at 23:27
A few years ago I watched a documentary about Genesis which included recent interviews with them all.
Tony Banks surprised me as he came across as bitter and humourless, I’ve not liked him ever since.
I love his music with Genesis though.

Edited by enigma - September 13 2019 at 23:33
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>