Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Proggers that Nobody Hates

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote essexboyinwales Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2019 at 06:07
Originally posted by enigma enigma wrote:

A few years ago I watched a documentary about Genesis which included recent interviews with them all.
Tony Banks surprised me as he came across as bitter and humourless, I’ve not liked him ever since.
I love his music with Genesis though.

+1
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2019 at 02:29
I'm not sure if Rick Wakeman is universally liked. After all, he's one of the original Grumpy Old Men and I know someone in the music business who's actually met him and they said he really *IS* that grumpy. Smile
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2019 at 06:37
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

I'm not sure if Rick Wakeman is universally liked. After all, he's one of the original Grumpy Old Men and I know someone in the music business who's actually met him and they said he really *IS* that grumpy. Smile

Not sure about that, I saw him in a music/chat gig last year and he is a very funny guy (good story about Trevor Rabin and a song called "Owner of a Horse and Cart"). He comes across a bit old and grumpy in his column in Prog magazine but I suspect a lot of that is put on.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2019 at 23:44
Rick is one of the few prog musicians that can engage with an audience, I saw his 'stand up' show a good few years ago and it was great fun. He took great delight in embarrassing his daughter who was standing at the back of the audience! I also loved that he took part in the Keith Emerson Tribute in Birmngham a few years ago as they were not always 'besties' so to speak but he respected Keith and honoured him appropriately. Good guy but yes he does do the 'grumpy' thing well! 
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerinski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2019 at 01:55
I like Rick, he can be fun
axeman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote axeman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2019 at 20:57
Does anybody out there hate Roine Stolt? 

Tony Banks is a tough subject for me. He was the guy who is most responsible for what Genesis ended up sounding like. Banks describes all the guys in the band bringing in their snippets of passages into him, and he'd have to arrange them in to a coherent piece of music. Banks explained that when they started writing shorter pieces, the guys had gotten so that they wrote more complete pieces on their own, and he had tired of making the glue progressions. 

However, as a chief member of my favorite band, made my favorite by my favorite guitarist, Banks said flat out, long after the feud with Hackett was known by even tyros, in an interview that Genesis never needed a guitarist. 
-John
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2019 at 23:43
Originally posted by axeman axeman wrote:

Does anybody out there hate Roine Stolt? 

A bit over the years. He is very grumpy and his music is no where as near as interesting as he thinks it is. Endless double albums with long windy passages that don't really go anywhere is not prog ( or maybe it is?!!). I called him a 'fraud' once and in turn was called a 'troll' for saying it but really there is an element of him that doesn't come across well. I've changed my attitude to him a little in recent years because I feel he has learnt a lot and I enjoy Banks Of Eden and also the project with Jon Anderson.
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2019 at 09:56
^ Yeah, he seem to have an oversized ego which bugs me a little. He's very good at what he's doing but he certainly didn't invent anything.
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2019 at 10:51
I have met. Steve Wilson. The Original IQ dudes and the original Pallas dudes. All seemed very nice and polite. As for Morse, his religious conversion is disappointing for such an obviously intelligent man. His very arrogant dismissal of factual evolution is VERY irritating. But nothing beats the religious hubris of claiming to know the mind of a clearly man made construct. True arrogance is only shown by the fundamentalist religious people. Mind you if we avoided religion, we might have a friendly conversation. However I dont think we could avoid that if we wanted to talk about his music...and that is why he irritates me...
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2019 at 00:28
Originally posted by M27Barney M27Barney wrote:

I have met. Steve Wilson. The Original IQ dudes and the original Pallas dudes. All seemed very nice and polite. As for Morse, his religious conversion is disappointing for such an obviously intelligent man. His very arrogant dismissal of factual evolution is VERY irritating. But nothing beats the religious hubris of claiming to know the mind of a clearly man made construct. True arrogance is only shown by the fundamentalist religious people. Mind you if we avoided religion, we might have a friendly conversation. However I dont think we could avoid that if we wanted to talk about his music...and that is why he irritates me...

I guess we may have to factor in the personal tragedy in his life although Neil Peart has had worse and seems to be a genuine nice bloke (from a distance).
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2019 at 07:51
oh that is easy.. and another thread win... not hard when people are tossing of.. SWILSON?? Really...  he got his ass run off this site by the haters...

Richard Sinclair..  never heard a single word bad about him ...  even the 4th diminsional space cadets, contratarians and free thinkers we have seen over the years on this site.. all seemingly love the guy.   
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2019 at 11:52
^ haha...didn't his baldy head brother invent that really crappy electric bike?? No way he could avoid being damned via association...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234