Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedFavourite Neo-Prog Band

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>
Poll Question: Who's your favourite Neo-Prog band?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
0 [0.00%]
1 [1.69%]
1 [1.69%]
3 [5.08%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
13 [22.03%]
2 [3.39%]
0 [0.00%]
2 [3.39%]
17 [28.81%]
2 [3.39%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [1.69%]
1 [1.69%]
11 [18.64%]
2 [3.39%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
2 [3.39%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [1.69%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2019 at 02:18
Originally posted by omphaloskepsis omphaloskepsis wrote:

Porcupine Tree by a smidgen over IQ.    Mars Volta are Neo?  

Porcupine Tree gets my vote too. Thumbs Up Having listened to the Mars Volta again on YouTube a few moments ago, I stand by my decision to include them in the poll. Chronologically, not only are they a modern, relatively new prog (or Neo-Prog) band, but musically and stylistically, they also SOUND (to me) like a Neo-Prog band, but that's only my own personal opinion and everyone has a right to respectfully disagree with me. Tongue

Who would have thought my latest music blog would turn out to be even more controversial than my political blogs - again! Wink

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - October 07 2019 at 02:24
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2019 at 02:49
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

Porcupine Tree gets my vote too. Thumbs Up Having listened to the Mars Volta again on YouTube a few moments ago, I stand by my decision to include them in the poll. Chronologically, not only are they a modern, relatively new prog (or Neo-Prog) band, but musically and stylistically, they also SOUND (to me) like a Neo-Prog band, but that's only my own personal opinion and everyone has a right to respectfully disagree with me. Tongue

Who would have thought my latest music blog would turn out to be even more controversial than my political blogs - again! Wink

Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2019 at 03:46
I wouldn't class many of those as Neo, but the band I enjoy most on the list is probably It Bites although I do really like IQ, Pallas and Porcupine Tree.
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
digdug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2019 at 06:39
voted for Marillion as they are my fave neo prog band

there are many other bands on the list that I like more than Marillion
but I won't call them Neo... 
Prog On!
Mormegil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2019 at 07:25
Went with IQ, just ahead of Marillion and Galahad
Welcome to the middle of the film.
omphaloskepsis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2019 at 07:39
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

I get it!   You meant Neo in it's literal sense.   Me?  I was contemplating IQ, Pendragon, Arena,  and Marillion as Neo Sounding.   Still I vote for Porcupine Tree.  I also like Big Big Train.  

Edited by omphaloskepsis - October 07 2019 at 07:43
tamijo_II View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2019 at 07:44
Mars Volta with an edge over Porcupine (no vote - not allowed as I had to make a new account)

From the more traditional NEO lineup  Pendragon

miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2019 at 08:00
The Flower Kings - not Neo Prog
echolyn - not Neo Prog
Transatlantic - not Neo Prog
Spock's Beard - not Neo Prog

From the listed bands that actually are Neo Prog: IQ

(Although Yuka & Chronoship are my favorite Neo band...)

Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2019 at 08:07

I get it!   You meant Neo in it's literal sense.   Me?  I was contemplating IQ, Pendragon, Arena,  and Marillion as Neo Sounding.   Still I vote for Porcupine Tree.  I also like Big Big Train.  

Yes, that's it exactly! I meant Neo-Prog in its quite literal and broadest sense, meaning new prog  from bands who formed during the 1980's era or later, as opposed to classic prog from bands who formed during the original 1970's era, in the early, formative years of Prog-Rock. Smile

Many artists don't fit neatly into one particular genre of music and they often change musical styles from one album to the next over time. Also, I've found many artists don't like being pigeonholed into one particular genre of music. Smile

I'll add Big Big Train to my long list of Neo-Prog artists at the beginning of my thread. Smile

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - October 07 2019 at 08:16
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2019 at 09:14

Yes, that's it exactly! I meant Neo-Prog in its quite literal and broadest sense, meaning new prog  from bands who formed during the 1980's era or later, as opposed to classic prog from bands who formed during the original 1970's era, in the early, formative years of Prog-Rock. Smile

Many artists don't fit neatly into one particular genre of music and they often change musical styles from one album to the next over time. Also, I've found many artists don't like being pigeonholed into one particular genre of music. Smile

I'll add Big Big Train to my long list of Neo-Prog artists at the beginning of my thread. Smile

so putting 4 decades of music into one genre makes sense to you? Or is it you don't know how diverse prog has got throughout this time?
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2019 at 09:29
Another vote to IQ and another one who thinks many of the listed bands are not Neo-Prog.
Please consider the tough task collabs have discussing which sub-genre fits best to each band. Putting all those bands inside the Neo-Prog bag is like disrespecting all that work. Anathema, The Flower Kings, The Mars Volta etc are not Neo, irrespective of whether they are old or new.
Argo2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2019 at 09:35
 On This list, Porcupine Tree. If you go by PA's definition of Neo Prog then it would be Marillion. 
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2019 at 09:58
Originally posted by Gerinski Gerinski wrote:

Another vote to IQ and another one who thinks many of the listed bands are not Neo-Prog.
Please consider the tough task collabs have discussing which sub-genre fits best to each band. Putting all those bands inside the Neo-Prog bag is like disrespecting all that work. Anathema, The Flower Kings, The Mars Volta etc are not Neo, irrespective of whether they are old or new.

I love Neo-Prog and I'm not disrespecting the artists at all and I don't think it's an anathema to describe Anathema as Neo-Prog. Tongue

Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2019 at 10:22

Originally posted by Gerinski Gerinski wrote:

I love Neo-Prog and I'm not disrespecting the artists at all and I don't think it's an anathema to describe Anathema as Neo-Prog. Tongue

It's the collaborators you are disrespecting and all their work, this is what Gerinski is saying.

As for Anathema, they started as a death/doom band, gave up the growls, but not the doom, and starting with Judgement (1999) they've been playing progressive rock - call them experimental/post metal, as defined here on PA, or alternative prog, even crossover prog. But neo-prog? No way!
Cambus741 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2019 at 10:26
Im afraid Ive been a bit predictable and voted Marillion. 
Not quite sure that Porcupine Tree  and Anathema should be considered Neo-Prog, but then its not a term I'm keen on tbh.
Argo2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2019 at 10:50
Probably could have avoided all this Neo Prog back & forth debate by calling the poll " Post 70's prog" ( or something like that) I understand where you were going with it but that might have silenced all the critics. 

Edited by Argo2112 - October 07 2019 at 10:50
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2019 at 10:56
Originally posted by Cambus741 Cambus741 wrote:

Im afraid Ive been a bit predictable and voted Marillion. 
Not quite sure that Porcupine Tree  and Anathema should be considered Neo-Prog, but then its not a term I'm keen on tbh.

I've always considered Anathema and Porcupine Tree to be Neo-Prog, and I couldn't possibly consider leaving Porcupine Tree out of my poll as they were the band I voted for. Smile

Obviously, we all have our own definitions of what is and isn't Neo-Prog, and if every member here posted their own poll of what they regarded as the 22 most important bands in the Neo-Prog genre, I'm sure we'd all come up with different lists. Smile

In the first line of Porcupine Tree's biography on ProgArchives it says, "PORCUPINE TREE are incredibly hard to describe because their music doesn't fit into any one genre." ............ The same thing goes for many other bands too. Being labelled "Neo-Prog" isn't a single exclusive genre, but just one of several genres that a band may be categorised as. For instance, the Mars Volta, mentioned in an earlier post are described as "Heavy Prog" on ProgArchives, which is a perfectly good description of their music, but they can ALSO be described as Neo-Prog too, from the point-of-view that it's relatively new (or neo) Progressive Rock. Smile

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2019 at 11:03
Originally posted by Argo2112 Argo2112 wrote:

Probably could have avoided all this Neo Prog back & forth debate by calling the poll " Post 70's prog" ( or something like that) I understand where you were going with it but that might have silenced all the critics. 

It's funny you should say that because I was thinking the same thing too, but then if I HAD done that, then I would have missed out on having an interesting and informative debate on what is and isn't Neo-Prog. Smile

I'd much rather be criticised for including too many bands in my poll than be criticised for omitting someone's favourite band from the poll. Smile
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2019 at 11:49

Obviously, we all have our own definitions of what is and isn't Neo-Prog, and if every member here posted their own poll of what they regarded as the 22 most important bands in the Neo-Prog genre, I'm sure we'd all come up with different lists. Smile

Are you trolling us or something? Looks like it.

You are the only one with your own definition of the neo-prog genre. How many people have told you a lot of bands in your poll are not neo-prog? Or their opinion does not matter, only yours.

And no, there would not be different lists, some users know more neo-prog bands than others (I say neo-prog as defined on PA, as do many others).

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2019 at 12:21
I'd just like to thank everyone for their valued contributions to my Neo-Prog poll  and to this entertaining thread, regardless of whether PA members agree or disagree with me. After all, if everyone agreed with me, then we wouldn't have had a passionate debate about Neo-Prog where all respectful views are always welcome. The disparate, interesting and often passionate views on Prog-Rock are part of what keeps the Prog Archives Forums alive and kicking. Smile

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - October 07 2019 at 14:53
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>