Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedFavourite Neo-Prog Band

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567>
Poll Question: Who's your favourite Neo-Prog band?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
0 [0.00%]
1 [1.69%]
1 [1.69%]
3 [5.08%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
13 [22.03%]
2 [3.39%]
0 [0.00%]
2 [3.39%]
17 [28.81%]
2 [3.39%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [1.69%]
1 [1.69%]
11 [18.64%]
2 [3.39%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
2 [3.39%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [1.69%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2019 at 18:15
Originally posted by YESESIS YESESIS wrote:

Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

The on-going debate about what is and isn't Neo-Prog has seemingly become more important than the results of the actual poll. Tongue
 I don't regret including all 22 of those bands (especially Porcupine Tree) in the poll. but I DO regret leaving out one of my favourite prog bands,  Mostly Autumn. Tongue 

Right on man, it's your poll, no regrets. It's not like you included ELP or classic Genesis, or something like that. So nothing that's clearly wrong with it, just people being a little nitpicky. You're handling it well though.

Thanks for your support. Thumbs Up I'm relatively new to this site, having been here less than a month, and until I posted this poll, I didn't realise quite how seriously PA members take their music genres here, although it's been a fun debate. Wink
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2019 at 18:34
^ No problem at all. And yeah it's been interesting. Everyone wants to seem smart and Knowledgeable(especially when it comes to prog on here). I admit that I don't know that much and am more kind of the 'class clown' type. It gets me in trouble sometimes but I never mean any harm. 
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2019 at 18:38

Ok, I've decided that I'm the one who decides what this neo-prog is and what it is not. And so my decision is that anything released after and including A Trick of the Tail is neo-prog and stuff.

I have spoken.

LOL

I can always count on this place for a good laugh. However, I will say that I've read that "a trick of the tail" was possibly the inspiration for much of the neo prog sound. So maybe it was proto neo? Same thing with Saga maybe.
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2019 at 18:45
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

LOL

I can always count on this place for a good laugh. However, I will say that I've read that "a trick of the tail" was possibly the inspiration for much of the neo prog sound. So maybe it was proto neo? Same thing with Saga maybe.

Good, that's exactly how it was intended. And yeah maybe, that makes sense to me.
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2019 at 19:14

LOL

Good, that's exactly how it was intended. And yeah maybe, that makes sense to me.

I've also heard that their "and then there were three" album was the first neo prog album and I'm sure it was listened to but in my opinion early Saga was probably closer to what the neo prog bands were about to explore. I think even early 80's Rush could have been an influence to be honest. It's one of those things where you would have to hear the bands themselves say exactly who they listened to or what they were influenced by exactly to know for sure. I do think that neo prog bands were influenced by more than just prog though. I think they also were cognizant of the punk and new wave scenes going on even if they didn't sound much(or anything)like them.

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - October 08 2019 at 19:28
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2019 at 19:48

I've also heard that their "and then there were three" album was the first neo prog album and I'm sure it was listened to but in my opinion early Saga was probably closer to what the neo prog bands were about to explore. I think even early 80's Rush could have been an influence to be honest. It's one of those things where you would have to hear the bands themselves say exactly who they listened to or what they were influenced by exactly to know for sure. I do think that neo prog bands were influenced by more than just prog though. I think they also were cognizant of the punk and new wave scenes going on even if they didn't sound much(or anything)like them.

Hard to beat early Saga. And yeah they had to have at least been aware of the punk and new scenes going on at the time, if not a little bit influenced by them.
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2019 at 00:13
It's ironic that I've been criticised for including too many artists in this poll, when the reverse has happened in my recent Prog-Folk poll, where I've been criticised for omitting several major artists from the poll, but that's okay, it's all good fun. Smile

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - October 09 2019 at 01:09
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2019 at 01:06

Ok, I've decided that I'm the one who decides what this neo-prog is and what it is not. And so my decision is that anything released after and including A Trick of the Tail is neo-prog and stuff.

I have spoken.

LOL

The point is that the architects of 'neo prog' (the likes of Martin Orford , Clive Nolan and Mark Kelly) took a lot of inspiration from this as it was an accessible prog album and that is where they saw the genre going. ie away from technical driven instrumental heavy prog about abstract subjects to a more song based approach with more grounded lyrics.
They decided what it was in the eighties and there is a clear acceptance of this in a lot of the music stylings. The 90's saw a new wave of symphonic prog coming initially from Sweden where the likes of Par Lindh and Roine Stolte formed the 'Art Rock Society'. Their intention was to bring back the full on symph sound .This is not my opinion it's just a fact. 'Neo' has it's own thing and not recognising that is a mistake as otherwise it's just an inferior form of symph. PT and Anethama are obviously also not connected to neo either although I love them all the same!
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2019 at 01:53
Originally posted by someone_else someone_else wrote:

Currently The Tangent, although they have little to do with Neo-Prog. It seems that the term "Neo-Prog" refers to a generation rather than a subgenre in this thread.

Yes, Neo-Prog to me is more of a generational term, meaning any Progressive Rock band that formed from the 1980's onwards. Marillion & IQ are currently level in the poll with 11 votes each. I've never been a fan of Marillion, but I'll definitely be checking out the music of IQ, seeing as they've been rated so highly in this poll. Thanks for everyone's contributions to this poll and thread. It feels wonderful to be part of a music community again after the demise of my You Tube Music site in 2015.  Heart
essexboyinwales View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2019 at 07:34

[QUOTE=someone_else]Marillion & IQ are currently level in the poll with 11 votes each

No they're not, I've just put IQ in their rightful position (although I love most of Marillion's output too!)
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2019 at 07:48
Originally posted by essexboyinwales essexboyinwales wrote:

[QUOTE=someone_else]Marillion & IQ are currently level in the poll with 11 votes each

No they're not, I've just put IQ in their rightful position (although I love most of Marillion's output too!)

They're now level in the poll with 12 votes each. Smile
Modrigue View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2019 at 04:07
Marillion, followed by Twelfth Night and IQ
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2019 at 00:14
Obviously all the Porcupine Tree votes would have gone to IQ damn it!
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2019 at 00:28
Based on the results of this poll, I'll definitely be checking out the music of IQ, having never listened to them before. I just hope they don't sound like Marillion. Tongue
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2019 at 00:33

Based on the results of this poll, I'll definitely be checking out the music of IQ, having never listened to them before. I just hope they don't sound like Marillion. Tongue

No they don't and it might be controversial to say it but I think they are better musicians. Mike Holmes is a great guitarist especially and Tim Esau and John Jowitt ( the only 2 bass players the band ever had) easily beat Pete Trewavas . Vocally I do like Steve Hogarth a lot although Pete Nicholls can trawl the depths of darkness better than anyone. Of course in the early days they lacked the presence and personality of a certain Mr Dick and that is the main (and possibly only) reason Marillion got ahead of the neo game.  (IMO) 
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2019 at 00:45
It's good to know IQ sound nothing like Marillion. Smile I still haven't listened to all of Porcupine Tree's albums. I have three PT studio albums in my CD collection:- "Lightbulb Sun", "In Absentia" & "Deadwing"; one live album "Warsawa"; and one superb 2-CD compilation "Stars Die".
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2019 at 23:24

It's good to know IQ sound nothing like Marillion. Smile I still haven't listened to all of Porcupine Tree's albums. I have three PT studio albums in my CD collection:- "Lightbulb Sun", "In Absentia" & "Deadwing"; one live album "Warsawa"; and one superb 2-CD compilation "Stars Die".

Those are all good ones to have. Fear Of A Blank Planet is absolutely essential PT and I think you would like Stupid Dream (more song based) so I would go to those next. After that Signify is a bit of a 'wildcard' entry but also has some strong material.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2019 at 01:11
I'd like to buy all of Porcupine Tree's albums on CD eventually, if I can find them at a bargain price.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2019 at 00:41

I'd like to buy all of Porcupine Tree's albums on CD eventually, if I can find them at a bargain price.

yeah they are one of those bands you want to 'complete'
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2019 at 10:52
Frank Zappa
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567>