Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

5 star ratings

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 9>
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote admireArt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2019 at 19:57
"There must be some way out of here"
Said the joker to the thief

"There's too much confusion
I can't get no relief
...." Bob Dylan.

I DO AGREE THAT 5 STARS ARE THROWN LIKE IF NOTHING. Opposite of being beneficial, it actually makes the whole thing senseless. IMNHO.
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2019 at 21:04
Yep. I have noticed that when an album is brand new all the fanboys(and fangirls)will immediately give it a five star rating when it's unlikely they have even heard it more than twice. 
Walkscore View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Walkscore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2019 at 16:13
I always like to listen to an album multiple times, and over a number of months, before I rate it. For me, only the top 50-100 albums of all time could be 5-star albums, and I always take into account the whole album.
admireArt View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote admireArt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2019 at 16:23
Yep! but trying to tell overraters about it!!

admireArt View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote admireArt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2019 at 16:25
or the weed they are intoTongueClapAngry....>?

admireArt View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote admireArt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2019 at 16:28
Ouchreally?
dougmcauliffe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2019 at 17:52
Yeah some people are way too liberal with their 5 star ratings. Before I rate something I think of some of the 5 star bench marks. Foxtrot, Animals, Moonmadness... and then I think, "is this in the same league or come close." Not all 5 stars are created equally however.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2019 at 13:12
I think that too know how liberal someone is being with ratings, it really helps to understand their tastes, what they personally value, how they approach music, and what they think about the music.

While I'm not really into the rating thing, and only rated lots when testing out the quick rating feature after it was implemented, and would be less liberal with my ratings now (I don't feel like going back and editing those, and my tastes/ interests have rather changed in that time), I would like to compare it to my favourite albums that make similar music/ are of similar styles. I don't like Foxtrot or Moonmadness much (prefer Moonmadness), but I likely would still give theme threes even though they wouldn't make my top 1000 favourite albums (Foxtrot would be more like a two in terms of my personal taste).

My ratings here won't tell one much except how much I have valued albums, and my estimation is not static. My benchmarks will differ from another's. I do like to compare to my favourite in the category/ similar albums. If I were rating/ reviewing an electronic music album, I might not be comparing it to a symphonic prog album and basing my rating that way. I do much prefer it when people are explicitly comparing for rating and reviewing purposes to other music as similar as possible. What often bothers me is that many genuinely seem to confuse the subjective, individual nature of music (that relationship between the material and the listener) with objective evaluation. I don't want people to say IMHO, but phrase things in such a way that its clear when one is speaking from one's perspective and making broad claims. I tend to avoid making statements such as "This is good" and "this is bad" unless I feel that I can objectively back it up, and try to differentiate that from my personal experience. There is music I consider bad using various objective measures but love.

One can be objective in certain ways, but enjoyment is personal. I've seen quite a few bad musical comparisons made to justify the ratings which exhibits ignorance (that said, as individuals we might associate differently).
Just a fanboy passin' through.
I prophesy disaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I prophesy disaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2019 at 13:39
So far since I've joined PA, I've never written a review or rated any album, though I do have a desire to do so. However, I can't see myself giving any album a rating less than 5 stars, simply because those are the albums that I would want to write a review or rate. It doesn't mean that there aren't albums that I think deserve a lower rating, only that such albums don't interest me enough to devote my time to them.

No, I know how to behave in the restaurant now, I don't tear at the meat with my hands. If I've become a man of the world somehow, that's not necessarily to say I'm a worldly man.
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2019 at 14:06
Originally posted by dougmcauliffe dougmcauliffe wrote:

Yeah some people are way too liberal with their 5 star ratings. Before I rate something I think of some of the 5 star bench marks. Foxtrot, Animals, Moonmadness... and then I think, "is this in the same league or come close." Not all 5 stars are created equally however.

Exactly. Relatively few post 70's albums can match the well established classics or come close. Let's face it. Those seventies bands set the bar pretty high so for most later bands to even come anywhere near even their average or not quite top tier albums is an accomplishment. Even a four star rating means the album is pretty excellent and is nothing to sneeze at. I do think a lot of people give the five star rating here too easily though so I agree with you for sure.
patrickq View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patrickq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2019 at 21:20
Originally posted by I prophesy disaster I prophesy disaster wrote:

So far since I've joined PA, I've never written a review or rated any album, though I do have a desire to do so. However, I can't see myself giving any album a rating less than 5 stars, simply because those are the albums that I would want to write a review or rate. It doesn't mean that there aren't albums that I think deserve a lower rating, only that such albums don't interest me enough to devote my time to them.
Well put. Each of us has his or her own definition of “five stars,” and I’m not sure it’s productive to lament that others don’t share our definitions. But who says forum threads and posts have to be productive?
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2019 at 23:59
I've said many times before but consistency is overrated. Just not having a stinker on an album is not enough. I think that at the end of day 'feeling' is just as valid as anything. The top 20 albums largely makes sense so the overall big picture is still intact.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2019 at 11:21
I've been seeing endless 5 star reviews on the PA home page lately. I've no doubt that the albums reviewed are very good but are they an essential to a prog collection? Do they really define what prog rock is and set a standard for their respective sub genre? The same holds true with many 1 star reviews. Are these albums so unredeemable that there's absolutely nothing of value to be found on them? What gives?

Edited by SteveG - October 28 2019 at 11:27
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
dougmcauliffe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2019 at 11:43
For example, resistance by IQ
omphaloskepsis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote omphaloskepsis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2019 at 11:49
A majority of my reviews are 5 stars, because I like reviewing albums I love.  Perhaps, other folks feel the same way?  They'd rather review an album they love than an album they despise or feel is mediocre.   That said, I handed out a total of two- 5 stars ratings in 2018.  (All Traps on Earth, and Galahad's " Sea's of Change).   

My average rating is near 3.00 flat.   With 11 out of 22 subgenres below 3.00 and 11 above. 
For example:   Out of 185 symphonic prog albums, my average rating is 3.04.   148 Cross Over albums- average of 2.89.

Edited by omphaloskepsis - October 28 2019 at 11:56
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2019 at 12:04
There is a thread about this, where some PA reviewers explain their rating rationale.

I think there are way to many five star reviews, here and on places like the zon. I own close to 1000 discs but seriously only about 50 of those (5%) deserve a five star rating. I was the odd man out on the thread I mentioned.
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2019 at 12:29
Originally posted by omphaloskepsis omphaloskepsis wrote:

A majority of my reviews are 5 stars, because I like reviewing albums I love.  Perhaps, other folks feel the same way?  They'd rather review an album they love than an album they despise or feel is mediocre.   That said, I handed out a total of two- 5 stars ratings in 2018.  (All Traps on Earth, and Galahad's " Sea's of Change).   

I totally agree. I've reviewed ten albums so far and given nine out of ten of those albums a five-star rating, simply because I only review my all-time favourite albums which appeal to me most of all. I could review an album I truly loathe such as King Crimson's "Lizard" album and give it a one or two-star rating, but what value is that rating to any devoted fans of King Crimson!? Instead of King Crimson, or "KC" as they're sometimes referred to here, I'd much rather listen to KC & the Sunshine Band any time of the day. Tongue

I'd have to have a very good reason NOT to give any of my all-time favourite albums less than five stars, and in the case of Arzachel's sole album, I gave it four stars instead of five for the poor production quality, even though I loved the music. Maybe when I've run out of all-time favourite five-star albums to review, I'll start reviewing albums that only deserve four stars in my  own subjective opinion. Smile

By the way, I reviewed another five-star album today, Khan's "Space Shanty", and many other reviewers gave the album five stars too, simply because it's a superb album that truly deserves five stars. Smile

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - October 28 2019 at 12:34
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slartibartfast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2019 at 12:34
I give your topic one star...
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2019 at 12:35
Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

I give your topic one star...
That's funny. LOL
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2019 at 12:37

Here is the link to the 5 star review thread.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 9>