Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Blogs
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Prog Britannia - Album Reviews

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2122232425 95>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 3 Votes, Average 2.33  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2020 at 11:24
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

Gun (1968) is a good lp....not sure it derserves a rating of 4.83 with only 14 inputs here but....PA is a funny place. I have  it on cd...original vinyl can get pricey.
I  have the scond Gun lp called 'Gunsight' on original vinyl...not as strong as the first but still good. 'Three Man Army' is their next project , the first one in 1971 is also decent. I have not heard the later ones.
The Gurvitz bros also did several things with Baker on drums and Graham Edge on drums.

I don't know of any other album on PA that's rated as highly as Gun's debut, although it needs several hundred more votes to make it into the Top 100 albums chart. Smile
An anomaly to be sure...it simply doesn't deserve that high a rating; at most I would give it 3.5to 4.
While certainly interesting and played well enough for late '68 many of the tracks sound a bit cheesy/overblown at times. One wonders who the 14 people were that voted it that high.
Wink

Edited by dr wu23 - September 20 2020 at 11:24
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2020 at 11:36

Gun (1968) is a good lp....not sure it derserves a rating of 4.83 with only 14 inputs here but....PA is a funny place. I have  it on cd...original vinyl can get pricey.
I  have the scond Gun lp called 'Gunsight' on original vinyl...not as strong as the first but still good. 'Three Man Army' is their next project , the first one in 1971 is also decent. I have not heard the later ones.
The Gurvitz bros also did several things with Baker on drums and Graham Edge on drums.

I don't know of any other album on PA that's rated as highly as Gun's debut, although it needs several hundred more votes to make it into the Top 100 albums chart. Smile
An anomaly to be sure...it simply doesn't deserve that high a rating; at most I would give it 3.5to 4.
While certainly interesting and played well enough for late '68 many of the tracks sound a bit cheesy/overblown at times. One wonders who the 14 people were that voted it that high.
Wink
I happen to like cheesy and overblown prog. Tongue

If you click on the link below, it shows that out of fourteen ratings, eight PA members gave Gun's debut a well-deserved 5-star rating (including Silly Puppy & I), five PA members gave the album a 4-star rating, and one PA member gave the album a 3-star rating. https://www.progarchives.com/album-reviews.asp?id=59125

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - September 20 2020 at 11:37
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2020 at 15:59

Wink
I happen to like cheesy and overblown prog. Tongue

If you click on the link below, it shows that out of fourteen ratings, eight PA members gave Gun's debut a well-deserved 5-star rating (including Silly Puppy & I), five PA members gave the album a 4-star rating, and one PA member gave the album a 3-star rating. https://www.progarchives.com/album-reviews.asp?id=59125

You and Silly Puppy are the only two regs I know...the others don't post often...in fact I don't recall any of the names.
At any rate I'll give it 3.5....it simply isn't worth 5 stars...but as I said PA has some people with the urge to overrate things.
Wink
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
FloydianPinkRose View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote FloydianPinkRose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2020 at 18:34
EasyMoney, hey! Years ago I worked as a surgical Tech, but since retiring I now only work part time for fun. I’m an independent contractor (driver) with Waitr, a company like DoorDash, UberEats, etc. So I know all about area restaurants. Actually, the Eastern Shore has quite a few great restaurants depending on what kind of fare you enjoy. There are places to eat tucked into strip malls and nestled in mini malls all over Baldwin County. Those you mentioned I have never eaten in, but I’m sure if you enjoyed them they are good. I will make a point to
Visit them next time I’m in Mobile. I only looked them up on the internet to
learn about them myself and thought I’d share it with those who might read the comments and were also living near Mobile. Nice chatting with you. FloydianPinkRose.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote FloydianPinkRose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2020 at 06:14
Originally posted by FatherChristmas FatherChristmas wrote:

Originally posted by FloydianPinkRose FloydianPinkRose wrote:

I have been following this charade on Prog Archives for some time now, waiting in the wings, here many thousands of miles from where Psychedelic Paul hales from. I have not named names in my comments because I’ve tried to be diplomatic and I’m just not a finger pointer/mud slinger. But it disgusts me to my very core, that one particular Progite, could be so antagonistic and yet have missed the boat entirely. The boat I refer to is the fact that Psychedelic Paul, yes he’s a friend of mine, a very close one (NOT meaning close as in the SAME person) but he’s a genuinely kind and thoughtful person and I’m happy to call him friend.   If he didn’t care about his fellow Progites, those who truly love Progressive Rock, I highly doubt he’d spend as much time writing reviews, blogs, creating contests about bands, asking which ones people liked, etc. here on Prog Archives. AND I highly doubt he’d leave here ( after interminable harassment and feeling overwhelming frustration) to create a Prog Britannia Channel on YouTube all his own. It burns my britches, that Cristi can’t just appreciate what Psychedelic Paul has contributed, not because he LIKES each and every group, song, album, playlist, what-have-you, that Psychedelic Paul recommends, but just because that’s the right attitude to have when you are both music aficionados . I've read countless comments from fellow Progites that didn’t agree with Psychedelic Paul’s reviews, choices of bands, or his opinions about what the best song on the album was. And never have I seen ANY negative comments about Paul as a person, about whether he has multiple profiles
(pure BS), or comments like: (not a quote) I don’t have to listen to your videos or read your reviews, yay!!! Because fellow Progites just want to enjoy the music, share it with others, and talk about their love of it. That’s all that’s really important here!! Maybe if Cristi wants me, FloydianPinkRose, to prove I’m really a flesh and blood woman, living in Fairhope, Alabama, 36532, I can send him some of the pictures of the huge hurricane (Sally) that just rumbled through the Gulf on Wednesday, ransacking houses and knocking over trees. I can tell him what it’s like to drive with no traffic lights, to have no electricity so you can’t cook or use a refrigerator. When the sun goes down, the flashlights come out!!! I highly doubt Psychedelic Paul could give those personal details not having his residence in the Gulf of Lower Alabama. Kay Ivey is the Governor of Alabama and has certain guidelines for preventing the spread of Covid -19, perhaps if I shared her strategy that might prove I’m a real person and not Psychedelic Paul, in any way, shape or form. But the biggest difference between us is the fact that “I”am a woman and “he” is a man. I can give Cristi facts about women that Psychedelic Paul couldn’t know unless he were a woman. But I’m hoping that won’t be necessary. This whole charade has gone far enough!!! I appreciate you, Paul, as do many of your fellow Progites.
I will say this, the only comment I’ve read that had me wondering, was that one from, I think, Progaardvark about a broccoli car and cheese-cheese lights. (Not a quote). Not negative, just unique. But no one ever attacks you on here when you are unique.   FloydianPinkRose, your number one fan.

Frankly My Dear, I don't give a damn what Cristi thinks. His spiteful comments are Gone with the Wind as far as I'm concerned. I know you're totally for real and that's all that matters to me. Smile Heart

By the way, I've never managed to figure out Prog Aardvark's cryptic crossword clues either. Wink

I thought they were quite clear. Beware the mayonnaise man, Paul! Your museum on wheels is in danger without it's pants!

Hey, FatherChristmas,   I’m beginning to like this “quoting” thing! But here’s my two cents: The mayonnaise man be damned! It’s the tobacco man and the horseradish man you have to look out for!! And the only thing your museum-on-wheels is in danger of, is being arrested for not wearing his pants!! I think there’s a song called: “Thanks For Being A Friend,” I dedicate it to you. FloydianPinkRose 😊👍❤️
progaardvark View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote progaardvark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2020 at 07:15

I have been following this charade on Prog Archives for some time now, waiting in the wings, here many thousands of miles from where Psychedelic Paul hales from. I have not named names in my comments because I’ve tried to be diplomatic and I’m just not a finger pointer/mud slinger. But it disgusts me to my very core, that one particular Progite, could be so antagonistic and yet have missed the boat entirely. The boat I refer to is the fact that Psychedelic Paul, yes he’s a friend of mine, a very close one (NOT meaning close as in the SAME person) but he’s a genuinely kind and thoughtful person and I’m happy to call him friend.   If he didn’t care about his fellow Progites, those who truly love Progressive Rock, I highly doubt he’d spend as much time writing reviews, blogs, creating contests about bands, asking which ones people liked, etc. here on Prog Archives. AND I highly doubt he’d leave here ( after interminable harassment and feeling overwhelming frustration) to create a Prog Britannia Channel on YouTube all his own. It burns my britches, that Cristi can’t just appreciate what Psychedelic Paul has contributed, not because he LIKES each and every group, song, album, playlist, what-have-you, that Psychedelic Paul recommends, but just because that’s the right attitude to have when you are both music aficionados . I've read countless comments from fellow Progites that didn’t agree with Psychedelic Paul’s reviews, choices of bands, or his opinions about what the best song on the album was. And never have I seen ANY negative comments about Paul as a person, about whether he has multiple profiles
(pure BS), or comments like: (not a quote) I don’t have to listen to your videos or read your reviews, yay!!! Because fellow Progites just want to enjoy the music, share it with others, and talk about their love of it. That’s all that’s really important here!! Maybe if Cristi wants me, FloydianPinkRose, to prove I’m really a flesh and blood woman, living in Fairhope, Alabama, 36532, I can send him some of the pictures of the huge hurricane (Sally) that just rumbled through the Gulf on Wednesday, ransacking houses and knocking over trees. I can tell him what it’s like to drive with no traffic lights, to have no electricity so you can’t cook or use a refrigerator. When the sun goes down, the flashlights come out!!! I highly doubt Psychedelic Paul could give those personal details not having his residence in the Gulf of Lower Alabama. Kay Ivey is the Governor of Alabama and has certain guidelines for preventing the spread of Covid -19, perhaps if I shared her strategy that might prove I’m a real person and not Psychedelic Paul, in any way, shape or form. But the biggest difference between us is the fact that “I”am a woman and “he” is a man. I can give Cristi facts about women that Psychedelic Paul couldn’t know unless he were a woman. But I’m hoping that won’t be necessary. This whole charade has gone far enough!!! I appreciate you, Paul, as do many of your fellow Progites.
I will say this, the only comment I’ve read that had me wondering, was that one from, I think, Progaardvark about a broccoli car and cheese-cheese lights. (Not a quote). Not negative, just unique. But no one ever attacks you on here when you are unique.   FloydianPinkRose, your number one fan.

Frankly My Dear, I don't give a damn what Cristi thinks. His spiteful comments are Gone with the Wind as far as I'm concerned. I know you're totally for real and that's all that matters to me. Smile Heart

By the way, I've never managed to figure out Prog Aardvark's cryptic crossword clues either. Wink
I thought they were quite clear. Beware the mayonnaise man, Paul! Your museum on wheels is in danger without it's pants!

User your bladder's high beams to find the beans that started the blue bathroom box. Don't forget the diapers.
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
FatherChristmas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote FatherChristmas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2020 at 10:08

Hey, FatherChristmas,   I’m beginning to like this “quoting” thing! But here’s my two cents: The mayonnaise man be damned! It’s the tobacco man and the horseradish man you have to look out for!! And the only thing your museum-on-wheels is in danger of, is being arrested for not wearing his pants!! I think there’s a song called: “Thanks For Being A Friend,” I dedicate it to you. FloydianPinkRose 😊👍❤️
Thanks For Being A Friend, by Andrew Gold. A very good song. Clap
I must say, the mayonnaise, tobbaco and horseradish men make a deadly trio! Wink
"Music is the wine that fills the cup of silence" - Robert Fripp
"I am an anti-Christ" - Johnny Rotten
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote FloydianPinkRose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2020 at 15:38
FatherChristmas, well, it seems you overlooked my typo of tobacco man (was shooting for Tabasco man) but thank you. Yes, the trio: Tabasco man, mayonnaise man, and horseradish man, is a very spicy combo!! But make sure Alka-Seltzer man is in the vicinity to be sure!! I’m assuming ProgAardvark is now totally bored with this condiment man episode!!   Because now he’s on another cryptic rant!! And it sounds quite messy!! Usually beans don’t affect ones bladder, but another organ found in a different location. And diapers are definitely a plus there!! Maybe they are kept in the blue bathroom box!! Guess we should not have eaten Tabasco, horseradish and mayo after all!! FloydianPinkRose
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote FatherChristmas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2020 at 11:35
Wish You Were Here - Five Stars

I’ve long promised a review for this excellent album, and here it is. 

So, where to begin? “Shine On You Crazy Diamond (Part One)” begins the album quietly with Wright’s synths and Gilmour’s finger picked guitar, a relaxing ambient opener. After a while it leaves this section into a much jazzier guitar solo. Soon the famous “Shine On You Crazy Diamond” chorus is sung. But I won’t waste time listing the many sections of this song. All you need to know is that it combines Floyd’s psychedelic roots with jazzy motifs and Gilmour’s classic guitar; producing a deserving tribute to Syd Barrett, the album’s concept, and (combined with part two) the best song they ever made.  

As “Shine On” fades out, you can hear vibes of a breaking down machine, sounding stunningly like my printer. This very soon develops into a devastatingly powerful, dark lament about young people trying to be different and rebellious, doing things you shouldn’t like taking acid and eventually becoming just part of a machine – by trying to break from the machine; much like Syd Barrett, in fact. Some of the best lyrics are here - “What did you dream?/That’s all right we told you what to dream” - something only Floyd could think of. 

“Have A Cigar” continues the album, opening with a surprisingly bluesy riff. It evolves into a jazz-rocky number with vocals from Roy Harper. It is probably the most fun, lively and enjoyable song on the album (not counting “Shine On”), and yet it’s my least favourite song. Still an excellent achievement – after all, it’s on this album. 

The penultimate track, “Wish You Were Here”, was the first song I learnt on the guitar (I was originally just a pianist, I started playing the guitar quite late), and is very special to me. Opening with the guitar apparently recorded through Gilmour’s radio, that slowly develops into a calm, reassuring and somewhat thoughtful ballad, with elements of folk that had not really been seen with Floyd before. It’s concept is quite clear lyrically. One of my favourite ever songs by Pink Floyd. 

Lastly - “Shine On You Crazy Diamond (Part Two)”. I won’t write that much, as if I did it would be very much the same stuff that I wrote for part one. I will say, however, that it is like a more fun, faster, jazzy song than part one, with less ambient influences (apart from the fade out, that is). If I had to separate the two parts of “Shine On”, I’d say part two is better and more enjoyable. 

So – conclusion! Something I like to put in my reviews to help with my deciding on what rating I should give it are my two personal requirements for a five star album: 

1. The songs must all be excellent.  

2. It must work brilliantly as an album. 

Number one is fine. I have said that I prefer some songs to others, but that does not mean they are not all excellent. 

Number two I don’t have to speak for. Just listen to the album, and you’ll know I’m right. 

Well, that’s it. Not very long by my standards, but it’s very difficult to describe the greatest albums of all time. I only ever gave Duke, my favourite album, a rating. 

So, the final verdict is... five stars! 

Edited by FatherChristmas - September 27 2020 at 11:42
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2020 at 11:46
^ For me, "Have a Cigar" is the least likeable song on the Wish You Were Here album, although you can have a cigar for writing the album review. Smile
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote FatherChristmas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2020 at 12:05

^ For me, "Have a Cigar" is the least likeable song on the Wish You Were Here album, although you can have a cigar for writing the album review. Smile
Thank you - cigarillo, please! Wink
Same here on Have a Cigar, though I do think it's a good song. The others are just better, that's all.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2020 at 12:33

Thank you - cigarillo, please! Wink
Same here on Have a Cigar, though I do think it's a good song. The others are just better, that's all.
Although "Have a Cigar" is a good song, I think it would have sounded much better with David Gilmour on lead vocals. Roy Harper was an unusual choice of singer, considering he's never featured on any other Pink Floyd album. Confused
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2020 at 12:49
Since you like videos!

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2020 at 13:13
^ Thanks! I like Primus' version of "Have a Cigar" more than Pink Floyd's version, even though I only heard it for the first time tonight. Thumbs Up

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - September 27 2020 at 13:13
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote FatherChristmas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2020 at 15:18
^I don't think Roy Harper was a bad choice on vocals, you know. His voice is quite like Roger Waters', I didn't realise he was singing on it until I researched it.
What's really upsetting is that everyone loves the old prog classics we grew up with, but don't give a dam' about today's prog. Not that loving the old classics is a bad thing, but with that attitude the genre'll just die out. It's always the same group of people that comment on my modern prog threads - which I am of course grateful to, and glad they are interested - but it shows how only about seven or eight people here care.
As for you, continue running this thread as well as you always do! If you don't like much modern prog I won't try and tell you what to think, I've just been looking for somewhere to complain about this for ages!
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2020 at 15:47
^ Although I've only reviewed classic prog albums on this blog, I do like several modern prog bands too, including:- Anathema; Astra; Ayreon; Dream Theater; Iona; Karnataka; Magenta; Mostly Autumn;  Porcupine Tree;  Sebastian Hardie; & White Willow, to name just a few.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote FatherChristmas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2020 at 15:52

^ Although I've only reviewed classic prog albums on this blog, I do like several modern prog bands too, including:- Anathema; Astra; Ayreon; Dream Theater; Iona; Karnataka; Magenta; Mostly Autumn;  Porcupine Tree;  Sebastian Hardie; & White Willow, to name just a few.

I like those bands - but not all of them are modern; after all Porcupine Tree broke up eleven years ago. I won't bother you further on this, though.
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2020 at 15:53
^ Sebastian Hardie is not a modern band, they did a couple of albums in the 70s. 

Anathema, Dream Theater and Porcupine Tree are not that modern either, when they started their careers 30 years ago or so. 
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote FatherChristmas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2020 at 16:00
^No offence, my friend, but is criticising Paul your hobby?
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2020 at 16:04
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

^ Sebastian Hardie is not a modern band, they did a couple of albums in the 70s. 

Anathema, Dream Theater and Porcupine Tree are not that modern either, when they started their careers 30 years ago or so. 
At least I knew Sebastian Hardie were a band, and it's good to see you're still reading my blog, even though you said you don't read it. Smile
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2122232425 95>