Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Triumvirat Appreciation Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote presdoug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2019 at 08:37
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

Well, I've tried listening to them but I'm afraid they do nothing for me. ELP trounce them in all departments for me - songwriting, musical ability and probably crucially the vocal department. Not a patch on Lake.
To each his own. I admit the vocals on the debut album are no great shakes, but on Illusions and Spartacus, Helmut Koellen's vocals are superb, as are Barry Palmer's on OLDH, Pompeii and A La Carte. David Hanselmann and Arno Steffen's subsequent vocals are good, but of course, the music is not classic Triumvirat, unfortunately, on the last two albums.
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2019 at 09:09
I didn't know up to a few minutes ago that this guy had been a member of Triumvirat at some point:

This was a hit single in Germany in 1983, quite funny and original, but pretty annoying at the same time. Tongue
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2019 at 10:12
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Illusions is the album. Better than all ELP albums bar Brain Salad Surgery and Trilogy and should be a top 50 prog album. Never cared for Spartacus though and that was a real sticking point for me initially. It is original (perhaps except for a few cheeky Keith Emerson keyboard refrains) but I find it all a bit too cheesey ( and I like cheese!) . BTW Jurgen did an excellent solo album Hard To Be God in the eighties a little bit in the style of Vangelis. Try to track that down if you can!

I don't hear anything as compelling as "Tank," "Take a Pebble" or especially "Knife-Edge" on Illusions

I'm talking about whole albums and the first couple of ELP albums are hit and miss as far as I'm concerned even as a fan. Triumvirat were so much more organised and the music is impressively fluid . ELP were perhaps just too ego based (cliché number 133) but Karn Evil 9 and Toccata raised ELP to a level that few could follow (all in my opinion of course)

ELP's debut is fantastic, IMO. I don't think T'rat's writing is as robust till they hit Spartacus and OLDH, which I regard together as their zenith.
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2019 at 10:17
^ I think you hit the nail on the head.  One can complain about going mainstream on OLDH but it's the songwriting that more than makes up for that questionable accusation
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2019 at 11:23
Originally posted by kenethlevine kenethlevine wrote:

^ I think you hit the nail on the head.  One can complain about going mainstream on OLDH but it's the songwriting that more than makes up for that questionable accusation

OLDH also has a killer instrumental in "Panic on 5th Avenue." Clap
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote presdoug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2019 at 12:26
^Here, here! I also especially love the stirring, astounding solo piano work on the instrumental "A Day In A Life" Deeply moving.
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2019 at 12:31
hmm it doesn't hurt that I love Barry Palmer's voice.  He did a great job on several of Mike Oldfield's singles and albums in the mid 1980s as well
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote presdoug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 03 2019 at 16:09
The Head Triumvirat Roadie was named Tarkus, I just found out from someone who would know a detail like that. Wish I knew his real name; I bet he would have some stories to tell!
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote presdoug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2019 at 00:20
Bravo Magazine's issue of the 15 May, 1975, where they list their 12 top German rock acts, and Triumvirat is included

Edited by presdoug - November 05 2019 at 00:21
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2019 at 12:32
Originally posted by presdoug presdoug wrote:

Bravo Magazine's issue of the 15 May, 1975, where they list their 12 top German rock acts, and Triumvirat is included

I see TD is in there, as they should be.

I assume Eloy is one of the other six. Wink

presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote presdoug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2019 at 19:23
miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miamiscot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2019 at 08:49
Triumvirat were absolutely stunning. Yeah, they kinda sounded like ELP but they were their own thing. Illusions and Spartacus are both pretty much perfect.
drsitzes View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drsitzes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2021 at 19:39
Start with Spartacus, their most popular recording.  After that, Illusions on a Double Dimple, IMO their greatest achievement from start to finish.
tszirmay View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tszirmay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2021 at 21:05
Illusions, Spartacus and OLDH have been companions since discovering the first one upon release. 
I never post anything anywhere without doing more than basic research, often in depth.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2021 at 04:18
I started with Spartacus and then got totally stuck. It was too 'pop opera' for my liking . Illusion is very impressive though and recently made the Rolling Stone Top 50 prog albums of all time!
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rednight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2021 at 09:17
Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

Never heard of these guys. Where to start? LOL
Illusions On a Double Dimple has their most classic sound. Pompeii with Barry Palmer on vocals is pretty good, also.
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2021 at 07:05
I've always loved the Triumvirat sound, it's something quite special and unique. I love their music and I'm glad somebody is trying to keep the flame alive.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2021 at 10:12
Thanks to the bumper...time to relisten to my copy of Illusions....Thumbs Up
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2021 at 11:08
Hi Doug, your package has been sent from the USA to Canada!  Cheers, Chuck!
I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote presdoug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2021 at 15:59
Hey, Chuck, I have not posted on PA for a long while, but could not resist a big "Thank You!" to you. Looking forward to it, big time.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>