Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Albums You've Recently Changed Your Mind On

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2019 at 06:20
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

Way back then (in the 90's) I suddendly understood what VdGG and GG were all about after 15 years of trying.

Then fill me in when you get the chance because I'm still scratching my head over those two. LOL

Me too.....
both an 'acquired taste'....like smelly cheese.
Wink
LOL Rof!
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Mirakaze View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Eclectic Prog & JR/F/Canterbury Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mirakaze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2020 at 07:13

Way back then (in the 90's) I suddendly understood what VdGG and GG were all about after 15 years of trying.

Then fill me in when you get the chance because I'm still scratching my head over those two. LOL

Shocked How can you not like Gentle Giant, they're the best...

Well, I think they're up there anyway LOL you can't help what you like and what not, but personally I really love the intricate contrapuntal layering of melodies in many of their songs, sometimes teetering on the boundary between tonality and dissonance but always feeling like every note has a reason to be there and contributes to a bigger whole. I love Kerry Minnear's falsetto and Derek Shulman's theatrical yet somehow still soothing voice and I love them even more when they sing in harmony, and I also respect the fusion of elements from medieval and baroque music within a rock setting as opposed to the usual influences from the romantic period.
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2020 at 08:20
Originally posted by Mirakaze Mirakaze wrote:

Shocked How can you not like Gentle Giant, they're the best...

Well, I think they're up there anyway LOL you can't help what you like and what not, but personally I really love the intricate contrapuntal layering of melodies in many of their songs, sometimes teetering on the boundary between tonality and dissonance but always feeling like every note has a reason to be there and contributes to a bigger whole. I love Kerry Minnear's falsetto and Derek Shulman's theatrical yet somehow still soothing voice and I love them even more when they sing in harmony, and I also respect the fusion of elements from medieval and baroque music within a rock setting as opposed to the usual influences from the romantic period.
I havenīt ever been good in music theory and not even interested from it, so maybe thatīs the reason why I donīt like GG. Music has always been for emotions to me, canīt ever rationalize it at all.
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2020 at 08:49
It's taken me fifty years to get into Van Der Graaf Generator, but I finally got there after buying their two 1970 albums in November and listening to them for the first time on Christmas Day. Smile
I prophesy disaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I prophesy disaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2020 at 10:27

An album that I've recently changed my mind on is Gentle Giant - The Power And The Glory. This album was actually my first exposure to Gentle Giant about 20 years ago. I received this album in error after having ordered Octopus. Because Octopus was the recommended album, and it was my intention not to get more than one album, The Power And The Glory had to be returned. Nevertheless, I chose to listen to the album before returning it to get an idea of what to expect from Gentle Giant. I didn't like the album at that time, but hoped that because Octopus was the recommended album, it would be more likely that I would like it. This turned out to be case, but I continued with having that as my only album until quite recently when as a result of the high praise given to Gentle Giant on this forum, I decided to re-evaluate my assessment of Gentle Giant.

It turns out that after listening to The Power And The Glory a number of times, I quite like the album, perhaps even more than Octopus. I think I'm more receptive to The Power And The Glory now because I have a greater familiarity with Gentle Giant music so any strangeness no longer seems strange. Also, I think I was less receptive to The Power And The Glory 20 years ago because I had a motivation to dislike the album so that returning it would be easier. So it would appear that I've not given Gentle Giant a fair hearing, something that I'm currently rectifying.

No, I know how to behave in the restaurant now, I don't tear at the meat with my hands. If I've become a man of the world somehow, that's not necessarily to say I'm a worldly man.
essexboyinwales View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote essexboyinwales Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2020 at 02:46
Albums that took a long time but finally clicked:

Subterranea - IQ - got this when it came out, but only knew (and loved) the Menel-era albums up to that point, so the "new" vocalist sounded awful initially!  So glad I persevered, and got everything else that went before...and sinceCool

The Similiude Of A Dream - Neil Morse Band - took it's time but has revealed itself as a beauty!

And one I keep trying occasionally, thinking it will (because 99% of you on here rate it so highly), but it just won't:  CTTE! 
paisanojac View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paisanojac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2020 at 14:38
Inner Revolution by Adrian Belew.

I was (still am) a big Adrian Belew enthusiast (I've seen him play a dozen or more times (Crimson, solo, Bears, Bowie, etc.), most recently a few months ago in Austin, TX). Anyway, I remember when this Inner Revolution album came out and I bought it immediately only to be quite disappointed with how boring and unmoving it was. I let it collect dust for 10 years before giving it another spin and WHOA! I loved it and have listened to it a bajillion times since then.  Obviously those years in between had done something to me and I must have changed my perspective without knowing.  If you're never seen his live show, I strongly advise you to check him out. He is amazing. 

Originally posted by Quinino Quinino wrote:

I used to mock a couple of friends of mine (and a female co-worker) who were/are like devoted to Iron Maiden, and well ... since I got a DIY Best Of one guy compiled & offered me ... I started really enjoying (a lot) that huge R'N'R beast  - and had to swallow my tongue.

I didn't like Iron Maiden at all when I first heard them in the early 80s. Many years later my son had the CD of "Piece of Mind" and I listened to it. WOW!  Like the "most interesting man in the world" commercials, I don't normally listen to metal, but when I do, I listen to Iron Maiden! (OK....Dream Theater too).

Edited by paisanojac - January 02 2020 at 14:41
Spacegod87 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spacegod87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2020 at 18:15
Honestly, I'd have to mirror your answer about Larks. 
It needed a few listens before I could truly appreciate it, but I got there.

Enchant X View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Enchant X Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2020 at 19:59
I love Gentle Giant now but when I first heard them I wasn't so sure , its funny how the brain interprets music 
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2020 at 08:27
Originally posted by Mirakaze Mirakaze wrote:

They took me a very long time to get into as well and there's still a lot they've made that doesn't impress me all that much, but I've at least gotten to the point where I can count Pawn Hearts as a personal favourite. Peter Hammill's voice in general is a taste I really had to acquire.

There is a huge difference between PH's singing and the majority of folks in top ten singing.

The top ten folks, just for an idea's sake, are simply singing "NOTES", and sometimes it comes off like it is about the words and the music. In the end, a year or two later, you do not actually believe it a whole lot, and neither do you go back to it ... 

PH is not about "NOTES" ... PH is about his feelings and how he interprets them ... there is NOTHING FAKE or anywhere near ... just doing another song (like so many hit makers and stars!) ... in PH, and his voice merely interprets his feelings and emotions. You're not likely to see that on a top ten someone ... because it would be to "undress" that person way too much, and some of those women, it's about the teasing ... not the reality behind it, even if they were not who they think they are and try to make believe you know ... like a 30 something still trying to play the almost role of a teenager! That's kinda sick if you ask me .. it might be OK as a movie role but not as an advertising gimmick! 

I think that it is important to understand that "progressive" music is about "individuality" for the most part, and comparing it to what I call "cardboard" stuff ... will not help you understand it, or get close to it. The same thing falls into the hands of Christian Decamps, who is ... what MEATLOAF says in his book ... "I just happen to be an actor that sings!"
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
fronobulax View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fronobulax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2020 at 16:59
Gong, Radio Gnome Trilogy, which I guess is actually three albums. It wasn't until I caught a Youtube doc of them playing this stuff that I realized how super tight and actually fun this is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bb74GWjcjeQ

The Anders View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Anders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2020 at 10:23
Originally I didn't like the Queen album Hot Space at all, but I have gradually learned to enjoy it for what it is. It is by no means a great record, but if you accept the songs on their own premises, many of them are pretty solid within their genres. I guess people were just mad at them for not making a rock album (that is, an album within their comfort zone?). Even Roger Taylor and Brian May have been very critical of the album, and actually I think Brian May's songs are the weakest link on it.

Edited by The Anders - April 08 2020 at 10:27
hellogoodbye View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hellogoodbye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2020 at 15:48
I'm just discovering and appreciate (at last ! ) the Pink Floyd albums. Jealous ?
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2020 at 17:17
^ good God man... awe inspiring.
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2020 at 23:27
Originally posted by hellogoodbye hellogoodbye wrote:

I'm just discovering and appreciate (at last ! ) the Pink Floyd albums. Jealous ?
Well, a little bit...but on the other hand I found the greatness of Magma, Family, Faust, Caravan & Comus in the 2010-decade so not that much.

Edited by Mortte - April 10 2020 at 08:32
Sagichim View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sagichim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2020 at 02:30
Ozric Tentacles - Spirals In Hyperspace. This was always a controversial album among fans so for a few years I just couldn't get into this album, I guess it's something to do with the sound, kind of harsh in your face. Now since I'm a big Ozric fan I didn't want to give up on it, so I tried bits of it every now and then, and it's only a few months ago that it finally clicked and I couldn't stop listening to it from then, excellent album.
Junges View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Junges Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2020 at 04:02
Ved Buens Ende - Written In Waters

I had listened to 10 years ago and didn't like it. So after 5 years I listened to it again and still didn't like it. Recently, I picked it up again and... it clicked. But my taste has evolved over the last few years, so that's probably why.
A Bard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A Bard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2020 at 12:27
Gentle Giant's Octopus,  I used to not understand but after listening to it multiple times I can say I enjoy it, and Im still trying to understand The Power and The Glory.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2020 at 07:45
None in the prog world. I gave Sweet Child by Pentangle a 4 star rating years ago, listened to it again, and no matter how many reviews claiming that this is a 5 star masterpiece, I just don't see it. So..
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
dougmcauliffe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2020 at 06:50
I think I'm starting to get a grip on Opeths Sorceress. Pale Communion is one of my favorites by them and I loved the new one but this one has alluded me. I'm starting to find a lot of strong material throughout. I think the key was to look at it as more of an Acid Rock/Prog rock album then just a straight prog album. And man, that title track is great.
The sun has left the sky...
...Now you can close your eyes
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>