Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The 80s Weren't As Bad As You Thought

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote friso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 24 2019 at 01:08
Though honestly, who would trade the whole eighties againt just 1971 & 1972?
I'm guitarist and songwriter for the prog-related band Mother Bass. Find us at http://www.motherbass.com. I also enter stages throughout the Netherlands performing my poetry.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 24 2019 at 01:10
^ I wouldn't trade it even for just one year from 1971-1975
tamijo_II View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tamijo_II Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 24 2019 at 02:28
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Originally posted by tamijo_II tamijo_II wrote:

This is the end of my list of what I find to be essential 80's albums, there is a lot more just picked those i think anyone need to hear before......

1986 - 1989

Prog/Experimental:

David Sylvian - Gone To Earth

Frank Zappa - Jazz from hell

Laurie Anderson - Home of the Brave

Miriodor – Miriodor

Peter Gabriel – So

Talk Talk - The Colour Of Spring

Other very important albums imho :

David Lee Roth - Eat 'Em and Smile

Eurythmics – Revenge

The Firm - Mean Business

Hüsker Dü - Candy Apple Grey

Megadeth - Peace Sells...But Who's Buying?

Miles Davis – Tutu

Paul Simon – Graceland

The The – Infected

The Call - Reconciled

Prog/Experimental:

David sylvian - Secrets of the Beehive

Jethro Tull - Crest Of A Knave

Marillion - Clutching at Straws

Pink Floyd - A Momentary Lapse Of Reason

Roger Waters - Radio K.A.O.S.

Rush - Hold Your Fire

Yes - Big Generator

Bill Bruford's Earthworks - Earthworks

The Cure - Kiss Me, Kiss Me, Kiss Me

David Bowie - Never Let Me Down

Robbie Robertson - Robbie Robertson

Ryuichi Sakamoto, David Byrne, Cong Su - The Last Emperor

Simply Red - Men and Women

U2 - The Joshua Tree

Whitesnake - 1987

Prog/Experimental:

Cardiacs - A Little Man And A House And The Whole World Window

Dead Can Dance - Serpent's Egg

David Lee Roth – Skyscraper

Joan Armatrading - The Shouting Stage

Queensr˙che - Operation: Mindcrime

Robert Plant - Now And Zen

Sade - Stronger Than Pride

Sinéad O'Connor - The Lion and the Cobra

Steve Roach - Dreamtime Return

Talking Heads - Naked

Tracy Chapman - Tracy Chapman

U2 - Rattle and Hum

Prog/Experimental:

Birdsongs Of The Mesozoic – Faultline

Horizont - The Portrait Of A Boy

Jethro Tull - Rock Island

Peter Gabriel – Passion

Porcupine Tree - Tarquin's Seaweed Farm

Swans - The Burning World

Anderson Bruford Wakeman Howe - Anderson Bruford Wakeman Howe

Adrian Belew - Mr. Music Head

David Byrne - Rei Momo

Faith No More - The Real Thing

Culture - Too Long In Slavery

The Cure – Disintegration

Lisa Stansfield - Affection

Simple Minds - Street Fighting Years

The The - Mind Bomb

Whitesnake - Slip Of The Tongue

and the eighties crash and burn . If Yes - The Big Generator is ever regarded as 'essential' then I am truly dead and gone to hell.

This is very typical internet: I'm taking time to make a list of +100 albums that i find interesting from the 80's, a very varied plate I think, with music to appeal to anyone's taste. You pick one album and PUKE on it.   

NB: It is not a trade, the 70's won't disappear if you listen to 80's music.   

Edited by tamijo_II - December 24 2019 at 02:31
Same person as this profile:
Tamijo
Davesax1965 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davesax1965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 24 2019 at 03:39
"Hawkwind recorded 'Live Chronicles"

- no further questions, Your Honour. ;-)

Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 24 2019 at 03:40
The 80s kicked arse!!!
Just a matter of where you decide to turn the flashlight. Sure point it towards MTV and the whole ‘music needs spurious stuff like specific clothes/dances/looks in order to be interesting ie sell’ and you get a mountain of goo..but dig around a little and you end up with a Babushka doll of sorts that never seems to end.
Currently listening to some Dead Can Dance and am about to embark on a little goosebumps enducing rollercoaster ride called Xavier
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 24 2019 at 03:41
Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

Seven of my top 10 (OK make it top 12 or so) albums of all time hail from the eighties!
King Crimson - Dscipline, Kate Bush - The Dreaming, Eno & Byrne - My Life in the Bush of Ghosts, Camberwell Now - The Ghost Trade, David Sylvian - Brilliant Trees (the boldfaced ones have apparently not yet been mentioned in this thread, or I have missed that) and not listed on PA Comsat Angels - Sleep No More and Astor Piazzolla - Nuovo Tango, Hora Zero. Plus Holger Czukay Movies (1979) and Talk Talk Laughing Stock (1991), after their two previous 80s albums that come mightily close. Plus all the Cardiacs and Art Zoyd joy from that decade, of which it's hard to pick a favourite, and the next three of King Crimson after Discipline, all the other Kate Bush from that decade, plus great non-prog by Joe Jackson, Thomas Dolby, Killing Joke... Not only are the eighties not that bad, they actually *dominate* my favourites by some distance.

So much thisClap. Excellent choices BTW. Loving the music produced in the Seventies does not mean you cannot appreciate what came after, even if it sounded "different". Though I have been into music for as long as I can remember, I started getting serious about it in the early Eighties, and this has coloured my whole attitude towards this much-reviled decade. I'll have to disagree with Hugues' statement that if you like the Eighties, it means you were not thereWink.

Edited by Raff - December 24 2019 at 03:42
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 24 2019 at 07:26
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

This would be throwing most people off the deep-end, but I feel like recommending that you try Art Zoyd's Génération sans futur from 1980. But that might be too easily likened to the music off Henry Cow's Western Culture. On second thought, maybe try This Heat's Deceit.

Great suggestions! Clap
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 24 2019 at 09:38
Did somebody mention Thomas Dolby and good in the same sentence? That talentless t**t sums up the commercial 80s perfectly. And if band like Pallas had been given the opportunity that later bands had...then the atlantis suite would have beaten all else in the 80s...
TCat View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 24 2019 at 09:58
There are some great albums listed throughout this thread that show that prog never died completely, even in the 80s.  I didn't see mention of Kayak's "Merlin" or Saga's "World Apart" which were also great albums.

Thanks to Logan for mentioning the often overlooked "Deceit" by This Heat. 

SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 24 2019 at 10:02
Confused Hmm. I'm stating to think that the 80s was worst than I thought. Thank god for Midnight Oil. Luv those guys.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 24 2019 at 10:22
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

Confused Hmm. I'm stating to think that the 80s was worst than I thought. Thank god for Midnight Oil. Luv those guys.

When one has to defend a premise like "the 80s weren't as bad as you thought", I would suggest that it was indeed that bad, and folks are left scrambling to provide a spade to shovel out of the sh*te.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
timothy leary View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timothy leary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 24 2019 at 13:56
Madrigal.....1988
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 24 2019 at 16:10
Originally posted by M27Barney M27Barney wrote:

Did somebody mention Thomas Dolby and good in the same sentence? That talentless t**t sums up the commercial 80s perfectly. And if band like Pallas had been given the opportunity that later bands had...then the atlantis suite would have beaten all else in the 80s...

Well, at least a certain Mr. Steve Hackett liked this one:

kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 24 2019 at 19:33
this turned out to be too much of a project for me at the moment but I couldn't stop!  lots of good prog and non prog in the 1980s...here are some

prog
Amenophis - s/t
Angelo Branduardi - "Cercando L'Oro"
Anyone's Daughter - all their early 1980s albums, with one simple called "Live" being perhaps the best
Dan Ar Braz - Acoustic"
Asia Minor - "Between Flesh and Divine"
Blue Oyster Cult - "Fire of Unknown Origin"
Camel - "Stationary Traveller"
Clannad - "Fuaim", "Magical Ring", and "Macalla"
Eloy - probably their 3 best were released in the early 1980s - "Colours", "Planets" and "Time to Turn"
Flaming Bess "Tanz der Gotetter" was from 1979 and launched an impressive career, though that is their best
Gordon Giltrap - "Live at Oxford"
Steve Hackett - "Defector", "Cured" (!), "Highly Strung"
Itoiz - "Ezekiel"
Los Jaivas - "Alturas de Machu Picchu"
Jon and Vangelis - "Friends of Mr Cairo"
Kerrs Pink - "Mellom Oss"
Kitaro - "In Person (Digital)"
Moving Hearts - s/t and "Dark End of the Street"
Novalis - "Augenblicke"
Mike Oldfield - "QE2", "Five Miles out" and several amazing singles like "Crime of Passion" and "Pictures in the Dark"
Sally Oldfield - "Celebration"
Gavin O'Loghlen - "The Poet and the Priest"
Osiris - s/t and "Myths and Legends"
Outer Limits - "Misty Moon" and "Scene of Pale Blue"
Alan Parsons - "Turn of a Friendly Card"
Pablo El Enterrador - s/t
Pentangle - "In the Round"
Pererin - "Teithgan"
Rebekka - "Phoenix"
Renaissance - "Camera Camera" - it's very good really
Rousseau - "Retreat"
Rubaja and Hernandez - "High Plateaux"
Sky - II and III
Jimi Slevin - Freeflight
Alan Stivell - "Terre des Vivants"
Strawbs - "Don't say Goodbye"
David Sylvian - "Secrets of the Beehive"
Tangerine Dream - "Exit" and "Underwater Sunlight"
Bob Theil - "So Far"
Andreas Vollenweider - "Down to the Moon"

non prog isn't as readily available but here are a few

Dire Straits - "Making Movies" 
Fleetwood Mac - "Tango in the Night"
Van Morrison - "Poetic Champions Compose"
Runrig - "Recovery", "Heartland" and "Cutter and the Clan"
Ultravox - "Vienna" and "Quartet"
Lindisfarne - "Sleepless Nights"
Ian Matthews - "Walking a Changing Line"
Ferron - "Testimony"
Juluka - "African Litany", "Scatterlings" and "Stand your Ground" 
Savuka - "Third World Child"
China Crisis - "Working with Fire and Steel" and "Flaunt the Imperfection"
Bruce Cockburn - "Stealing Fire"
Chris de Burgh - "The Getaway"
Orealis - "Celtic Music"
Loreena McKennitt - "Parallel Dreams"
Sarah McLachlan - "Touch"
the Men they Couldn't Hang - "Waiting for Bonaparte" and "Silvertown"
Pogues - "Rum Sodomy and the Lash"
Christy Moore - hmm, take your pick
Pete Morton - "Frivolous Love"
Spirit of the West - "Tripping up the Stairs"
Triffids - "Born Sandy Devotional" and "Calenture"
RedGum - "Caught in the Act" and "Frontline"
Red Box - "Circle and the Square"
Aha - "Hunting High and Low"

Edited by kenethlevine - December 25 2019 at 07:46
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 24 2019 at 23:00

Originally posted by Mortte Mortte wrote:

^ I think the 80s was a great time for acts of the RIO/Avant Prog variety. So many of my favourite albums come from the 80s, both in and out of PA.
I haven´t got much into RIO/Avant. I really love Samla Mammas Mannas Mĺltid-album, but not as much their other albums, not really get into Henry Cow also, although albums I have listened have been at least good. And in Frank Zappa his sixties period is my fav. If you like to recommend me one Avant album from the eighties (not Zappa), I will listen it. Have to say I really love Thinking Fellers Union Local 282, it has put avant in progarchives, but I am not sure, is it really...

I don;t know Thinking Fellers Union Local 282, will look into it.

This would be throwing most people off the deep-end, but I feel like recommending that you try Art Zoyd's Génération sans futur from 1980. But that might be too easily likened to the music off Henry Cow's Western Culture. On second thought, maybe try This Heat's Deceit.
From Thinking Fellers I recommended you "Strangers From the Universe". It´s greatest from them and most melodic album. They do have also punk influences in their quite personal style.

I have listen some Art Zoyd (I believe it was their debut from 1976) and didn´t like it much. So I think I will try This Heat.
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 24 2019 at 23:07
Originally posted by kenethlevine kenethlevine wrote:

this turned out to be too much of a project for me at the moment but I couldn't stop!  lots of good prog and non prog in the 1980s...here are some

prog

Los Jaivas - "Alturas de Machu Picchu"

non prog isn't as readily available but here are a few

Pogues - "Rum Sodomy and the Lash"
These have been also my favourite albums, although prefer both Los Jaivas & Arco Iris seventies albums. Pogues were great band as long as Shane was in vocals!
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 25 2019 at 01:22

Originally posted by Mortte Mortte wrote:

^ I think the 80s was a great time for acts of the RIO/Avant Prog variety. So many of my favourite albums come from the 80s, both in and out of PA.
I haven´t got much into RIO/Avant. I really love Samla Mammas Mannas Mĺltid-album, but not as much their other albums, not really get into Henry Cow also, although albums I have listened have been at least good. And in Frank Zappa his sixties period is my fav. If you like to recommend me one Avant album from the eighties (not Zappa), I will listen it. Have to say I really love Thinking Fellers Union Local 282, it has put avant in progarchives, but I am not sure, is it really...

I don;t know Thinking Fellers Union Local 282, will look into it.

Thanx for This Heat -recommendation, it´s quite weird, but I like it! It´s kind of weird mix of Joy Division & Captain Beefheart. Going to listen also their first album.

Edited by Mortte - December 25 2019 at 01:22
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 25 2019 at 03:01
The Camberwell Now album The Ghost Trade I mentioned earlier is actually Charles Hayward and Trefor Goronwy of This Heat. I do like This Heat a lot but I'd rate The Ghost Trade even higher, so if you like This Heat, you may like that one, too.
Braka1 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Braka1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 25 2019 at 03:15
AFAIC the 80's pretty much did suck musically, at least that was my opinion when it was going on, and I was still in my teens or early 20's, so too young to be jaded.  There was  good music around, but pretty much all of it was underground or at very least alternative. That isn't always the case.

I'd really enjoyed late 70's new wave, but it had all turned to New romantic trash by about 81. And I can't help feeling that 80's music was infected by a post-punk cynicism and irony that got very wearing. I'm not sure exactly when that wore off, but it eventually did to a large extent.

I also think of that time as the end of the British era.  For me British bands had dominated music from the Beatles through to punk and new wave, but they lost the plot in the early 80's and never came to dominate again, despite the Brit-Pop bubble of the mid 90's. The bands who came along and snatched the crown back were American.  The year I tend to think of this happening is 1983, when, for instance, REM and Violent Femmes released their debut albums. I remember that as being the first time in my young life that I'd found myself mostly looking to American bands (though as the decade went on, I'd say Australia produced more of my favourite bands per head of population than anyone else. None of them were prog, though.)

Well, not unless The Church count.

Edited by Braka1 - December 25 2019 at 03:20

Believe me Pope Paul, my toes are clean
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 25 2019 at 07:58
Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

The Camberwell Now album The Ghost Trade I mentioned earlier is actually Charles Hayward and Trefor Goronwy of This Heat. I do like This Heat a lot but I'd rate The Ghost Trade even higher, so if you like This Heat, you may like that one, too.
Thanx, I will check that too!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>