Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The 80s Weren't As Bad As You Thought

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 456
Author
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slartibartfast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 27 2019 at 15:00
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

Originally posted by mathman0806 mathman0806 wrote:

Autobahn wasn't released in the 80's.
Exactly. 1974 and that's why it's better than any album on Slart's list! LOL
That one was amongst my first LPs but I never got it on CD or any other Kraftwerk for that matter.  Look, dammit, with over 1600 (1646 including discs I made from recording of LPs) I can't have everything I'd like particularly since I am unemployed, broke, and homeless.  But hey.  I can do Progstreaming and Spotify (although the ads are annoying).  Things could be worse. Hell for a lot of the '80's I was in college and those were better times...  Man, seriously, if it weren't for my faithful laptop, named Vroomfondel, my storage unit, and whatever the hell else you want in it, I'd have lost my sh*t worse a few months ago.  Looking forward to 2020 though.

Edited by Slartibartfast - December 27 2019 at 15:04
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 27 2019 at 22:34

I wouldn't rank Autobahn over Metal Fatigue, no way.  Nor Remain in the Light/Discipline either.

Edited by rogerthat - December 27 2019 at 22:34
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 27 2019 at 22:36
Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

That one was amongst my first LPs but I never got it on CD or any other Kraftwerk for that matter.  Look, dammit, with over 1600 (1646 including discs I made from recording of LPs) I can't have everything I'd like particularly since I am unemployed, broke, and homeless.  But hey.  I can do Progstreaming and Spotify (although the ads are annoying).  Things could be worse. Hell for a lot of the '80's I was in college and those were better times...  Man, seriously, if it weren't for my faithful laptop, named Vroomfondel, my storage unit, and whatever the hell else you want in it, I'd have lost my sh*t worse a few months ago.  Looking forward to 2020 though.

Sorry to hear that, man, take care.  
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2019 at 14:08

I was just playin' with Slarty, Autobahn is a dreadful album. I'm sorry to hear of your current situation but you're too nice a guy for gods to stay angry at you and I know 2020 will be a better year for you. Even if Trump does get re-elected.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2019 at 14:14
PA seems to have a bias against jazz-rock fusion for some reason.  As I recall, the 1980s had some smoking hot fusion by Al Dimeola (already mentioned), Chick Corea, Holdsworth and others (Brand X had one release in the 80's).  Some of the best fusion live shows I ever saw were in the 80's = Chick Corea, Al Dimeola, Bill Bruford, Pat Metheny and several others.  From Wikipedia:

1980s[edit]

No good music??  Here, dig THIS!!  (I saw this band in Tulsa, Oklahoma US, it was jaw-dropping!)

Edited by cstack3 - December 28 2019 at 14:25
I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2019 at 16:09
Now that you mention Bruford I realise that the first two albums of Bruford's Earthworks came out still in the eighties. Probably not yet mentioned!? And probably not that popular in these quarters, rated 3.16 and 2.69, which is a shame. Both are 4.5 in my book.
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2019 at 18:04
Originally posted by cstack3 cstack3 wrote:

PA seems to have a bias against jazz-rock fusion for some reason.  As I recall, the 1980s had some smoking hot fusion by Al Dimeola (already mentioned), Chick Corea, Holdsworth and others (Brand X had one release in the 80's).  Some of the best fusion live shows I ever saw were in the 80's = Chick Corea, Al Dimeola, Bill Bruford, Pat Metheny and several others.  From Wikipedia:

<h2 style="-: none; font-weight: normal; margin: 1em 0px 0.25em; overflow: ; padding: 0px; border-bottom-width: 1px; border-bottom-style: solid; border-bottom-color: rgb162, 169, 177; font-family: "Linux Libertine", Georgia, Times, serif; line-height: 1.3;"><span ="mw-line"="" id="1980s">1980s</span><span ="mw-editsection"="" style="-webkit-user-: none; font-size: small; margin-left: 1em; vertical-align: line; line-height: 1em; font-family: sans-serif; white-space: nowrap; unicode-bidi: isolate;"><span ="mw-editsection-bracket"="" style="margin-right: 0.25em; color: rgb84, 89, 93;">[</span>edit<span ="mw-editsection-bracket"="" style="margin-left: 0.25em; color: rgb84, 89, 93;">]</span></span></h2><ul style="margin: 0.3em 0px 0px 1.6em; padding: 0px; list-style-: "https://en.wikipedia.org/w/skins/Vector/s/bullet-icon.svg?872f1"; caret-color: rgb34, 34, 34; color: rgb34, 34, 34; font-family: sans-serif; font-size: 14px;"><li style="margin-bottom: 0.1em;">Weather Report - Night Passage (1980), Weather Report (1982), Procession (1983), Domino Theory (1984), Sportin' Life (1985)<li style="margin-bottom: 0.1em;">Brecker Brothers - Detente (1980), Straphangin' (1981)<li style="margin-bottom: 0.1em;">Herbie Hancock - Mr. Hands (1980)<li style="margin-bottom: 0.1em;">Steps Ahead - Smokin' In The Pit (by Steps) (1980), Steps Ahead (1983), Live In Tokyo(1986)<li style="margin-bottom: 0.1em;">Frank Zappa - Shut Up 'n Play Yer Guitar (1981)<li style="margin-bottom: 0.1em;">Miles Davis - We Want Miles (1982)<li style="margin-bottom: 0.1em;">Vital Information - Vital Information (1983)<li style="margin-bottom: 0.1em;">Yellowjackets - Mirage a Trois (1983)<li style="margin-bottom: 0.1em;">Allan Holdsworth - Road Games (1983), Metal Fatigue (1985), Atavachron (1986), Sand(1987), Secrets (1989)<li style="margin-bottom: 0.1em;">Wayne Shorter - Atlantis (1985), Joy Ryder (1988)<li style="margin-bottom: 0.1em;">Bill Connors - Step It (1985)<li style="margin-bottom: 0.1em;">Don Grolnick - Hearts and Numbers (1985)<li style="margin-bottom: 0.1em;">Mike Stern - Upside Downside (1986)<li style="margin-bottom: 0.1em;">Chick Corea - Chick Corea Elektric Band (1986), Eye of the Beholder (1988)<li style="margin-bottom: 0.1em;">Scott Henderson & Tribal Tech - "Dr. Hee" (1987)<li style="margin-bottom: 0.1em;">John Scofield -Blue Matter (1987), Loud Jazz (1988)<li style="margin-bottom: 0.1em;">Bob Berg - Short Stories (1987), Cycles (1988)<li style="margin-bottom: 0.1em;">Uzeb - Noisy nights (1988)<li style="margin-bottom: 0.1em;">Casiopea - Eyes Of The Mind (1981)
<font face="sans-serif"><span style="font-size: 14px;">
</span>
<font face="sans-serif"><span style="font-size: 14px;">No good music??  Here, dig THIS!!  (I saw this band in Tulsa, Oklahoma US, it was jaw-dropping!)</span>
</span>
</span>

What I said above. 80s was a great decade for JR/F. It wasn't a bad decade for jazz either. Emily Remler made all her work in the 80s and 80s was when Barbara Dennerlein first made her mark.
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote BaldJean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2019 at 04:33
the 80s gave us some very good albums by Mother Gong: "Robot Woman", "Robot Woman 2" (part 3 was unfortunately bad; replacing Guy Evans of VdGG with a drum machine - yikes), "Buddha's Birthday" and "Fish in the Sky". they gave us "Hype", "Freq", "Test-Tube Conceived" and the live album "At the Queen Elizabeth Hall" by Robert Calvert.

Peter Hammill released "A Black Box", "Sitting Targets", "Enter K", "Patience", "Loops and Reels", "Skin", "As Close as This" and "In a Foreign Town" (unfortunately this one with drum machine) and the live album "The Margin".

Hawkwind released "Levitation", "Sonic Attack", "Church of Hawkwind", "Choose your Masques", "The Chronicle of the Black Sword", "The Xenon Codex" and the live albums "Live '79" and "Live Chronicles"; in my opinion all good, sometimes very good albums.

Barbara Thompson's Paraphernalia released "Mother Earth", "Pure Fantasy" and the live albums "Live in Concert", "Live im Berliner Metropol-Theater" and "A Cry from the Heart".

and one of the greatest fusion bands ever, the United Jazz and Rock Ensemble, released "Round Seven" and the live albums "Live in Berlin" and "United Live Opus Sechs".

the German band Epitaph (not in the archives, though they should in my opinion, either in Heavy Prog or in prog related; Allmusic describes them as "post-psych progressive rock, spiced with occasional jazz accents and widespread twin-guitar harmonies"), released "See You in Alaska", "Danger Man" and the live album "Live".

and they saw the arrival of one of my most favorite artists: Barbara Dennerlein. her first album "Jazz Live" came out in 1983 when she was only 18! other 80s albums of her: "Orgelspiele", "Bebab", "Days of Wine and Roses", "Tribute to Charlie", "Straight Ahead", "Barbara Dennerlein Plays Classics" and "Live on Tour".

this is my case for the 80s, though I probably forgot a lot (Peter Blegvad?)

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2019 at 16:28
Originally posted by rogerthat rogerthat wrote:

What I said above. 80s was a great decade for JR/F. It wasn't a bad decade for jazz either. Emily Remler made all her work in the 80s and 80s was when Barbara Dennerlein first made her mark.

Thanks, I missed your post!  Glad we think alike!  Thumbs Up
I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote BaldJean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2019 at 19:10

Emily Remler and Barbara Dennerlein even played together, as you can see in these clips:

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2019 at 22:35
Originally posted by BaldJean BaldJean wrote:

Emily Remler and Barbara Dennerlein even played together, as you can see in these clips:

Yep, seen those and in fact that's how I came to know of Emily Remler.
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2019 at 03:14

I was just playin' with Slarty, Autobahn is a dreadful album. I'm sorry to hear of your current situation but you're too nice a guy for gods to stay angry at you and I know 2020 will be a better year for you. Even if Trump does get re-elected.

Not a fan of mid-era Kraftwerk, and Slart's list does have some OK albums, but let's face it, very few albums he cited would manage to mingle with 70's albums preferred on PA, unless you became a teenager in 85

PA seems to have a bias against jazz-rock fusion for some reason.  As I recall, the 1980s had some smoking hot fusion by Al Dimeola (already mentioned), Chick Corea, Holdsworth and others (Brand X had one release in the 80's).  Some of the best fusion live shows I ever saw were in the 80's = Chick Corea, Al Dimeola, Bill Bruford, Pat Metheny and several others.

I disagree: JR/F has no PA anti-bias, but it's really again the 70's JR/F which is appreciated, as most of its 80's descendance went either soft/smooth jazz or ECM style of fusion. Most of the 80's ADM, Weather Report, Metheny (etc...) are soporific snoozefests, IMHO, compared to the torrid stuff they shelled out the previous  decade.

Originally posted by delventhal delventhal wrote:

Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

Originally posted by Davesax1965 Davesax1965 wrote:

The 80's were as bad as I thought, otherwise I wouldn't have thought it. ;-)

Yeah, if you think the 80's were good, you weren't there LOL

The second half of the Eighties was utter sh*t for our beloved genre.

I'd have to agree with that, because the early-80's still had their quota of good albums, especially in RIO/Avant (though I only discovered most of it that stuff in the mid to late 90's ), but the worst years are from 86 to 89, when you only need one hand to count the good albums (unless you're into metal)
Even His Pomposity of 'Cloud About Mercury' the album sounds dated today, isn't?
Though, Smak were released an interesting comeback album in 1986, simply called '86.

Sunčani sat, Smak (LP'86)

Sava (instrumental), Smak (LP '86)

Hi SvettieStarStarStar,

you should really be more discreet if you intend to survive longer than a week in PALOL

Edited by Sean Trane - December 30 2019 at 03:18
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2019 at 03:33

Autobahn
wasn't released in the 80's.
Exactly. 1974 and that's why it's
better than any album on Slart's list! LOL

That one was amongst my first LPs but I never got it on CD or any
other Kraftwerk for that matter.  Look, dammit, with over 1600 (1646
including discs I made from recording of LPs) I can't have everything
I'd like particularly since I am unemployed, broke, and homeless.  But
hey.  I can do Progstreaming and Spotify (although the ads are
annoying).  Things could be worse. Hell for a lot of the '80's I was in
college and those were better times...  Man, seriously, if it weren't
for my faithful laptop, named Vroomfondel, my storage unit, and whatever
the hell else you want in it, I'd have lost my sh*t worse a few months
ago.  Looking forward to 2020 though.

I was just playin' with Slarty, Autobahn is a dreadful album.
I'm sorry to hear of your current situation but you're too nice a guy
for gods to stay angry at you and I know 2020 will be a better year for
you. Even if Trump does get re-elected.

Not
a fan of mid-era Kraftwerk, and Slart's list does have some OK albums, but
let's face it, very few albums he cited would manage to mingle with 70's
albums preferred on PA, unless you became a teenager in 85

PA
seems to have a bias against jazz-rock fusion for some reason.  As I
recall, the 1980s had some smoking hot fusion by Al Dimeola (already
mentioned), Chick Corea, Holdsworth and others (Brand X had one release
in the 80's).  Some of the best fusion live shows I ever saw were in the
80's = Chick Corea, Al Dimeola, Bill Bruford, Pat Metheny and several
others.

I
disagree: JR/F has no PA anti-bias, but it's really again the 70's JR/F
which is appreciated, as most of its 80's descendance went either soft/smooth
jazz or ECM style of fusion. Most of the 80's ADM, Weather Report,
Metheny (etc...) are soporific snoozefests, IMHO, compared to the torrid
stuff they shelled out the previous  decade.

Originally posted by Davesax1965 Davesax1965 wrote:

The 80's were as bad as I thought, otherwise I wouldn't have thought it. ;-)

Yeah, if you think the 80's were good, you weren't there LOL

I'd have to agree with that, because the early-80's
still had their quota of good albums, especially in RIO/Avant (though I
only discovered most of it that stuff in the mid to late 90's ), but
the worst years are from 86 to 89, when you only need one hand to count
the good albums (unless you're into metal)

Even His Pomposity of 'Cloud About Mercury' the
album sounds dated today, isn't?
Though, Smak were released an interesting
comeback album in 1986, simply called '86.

<h1>Sunčani sat, Smak (LP'86)</h1>

<h1>Sava (instrumental), Smak (LP '86)</h1>

[COLOR=#FF3366]<font size="7]Hi Svettie[/COLOR]StarStarStar,

you should really be more discreet if you intend to survive longer than a week in PALOL

Metheny, WR, ADM had already made it big in the 70s and like the big prog rock bands of the 70s, went into decline. But Allan Holdsworth would only start his solo career in the 80s and whatever else you can call those albums, they weren't soporific. Nor was L Subramaniam's work which was like JLP with an Indian touch.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2019 at 03:35

I'd have to agree with that, because the early-80's still had their quota of good albums, especially in RIO/Avant (though I only discovered most of it that stuff in the mid to late 90's ), but the worst years are from 86 to 89, when you only need one hand to count the good albums (unless you're into metal)
Even His Pomposity of 'Cloud About Mercury' the album sounds dated today, isn't?
Though, Smak were released an interesting comeback album in 1986, simply called '86.

Sunčani sat, Smak (LP'86)

Sava (instrumental), Smak (LP '86)

Hi SvettieStarStarStar,

Pardon?

For some reason (not sure how I do itEmbarrassed), I seem to irritate & irate you that you lose control and blow your cover. LOL

HNY & BW some 48h ahead of time, since you're about to get banned (again) very quickly
Beer

better luck next year Ying Yang

Edited by Sean Trane - December 30 2019 at 03:36
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2019 at 04:30

Censored

@Sean Trane

I'm afraid that you've got the wrong person, mister Stern Smile

Aaaaah don't think soooooooo LOLWink
Jeffro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeffro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2019 at 06:25
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

I never thought the 80's were bad. I loved Madonna, Michael Jackson, Disco, Synth-Pop and the New Romantic movement of the 80's.

While that stuff was hardly my favorite back then. In fact, I couldn't stand most of it, I'd take 80s pop (with New Wave added) over current day pop any day. The stuff produced today is just awful. I'm glad my daughter has finally moved past that and is now into bands that are more rock-like; Panic At the Disco, My Chemical Romance, Green Day. Even those bands aren't really my cup of tea either but they are a step in a better direction. 
We all live in an amber subdomain, amber subdomain, amber subdomain.

My face IS a maserati
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 456