Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Canterbury Scene Music

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 14>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2020 at 08:25
I've reviewed five Canterbury Scene albums so far:-

KHAN - Space Shanty 5 stars
STEVE HILLAGE - Fish Rising 4 stars
NATIONAL HEALTH - National Health 4 stars
QUIET SUN - Mainstream 3 stars
HATFIELD & THE NORTH - The Rotters' Club 3 stars

Mirakaze View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Eclectic, JRF/Canterbury, Avant/Zeuhl

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Mirakaze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2020 at 09:08
Originally posted by hugo1995 hugo1995 wrote:

Yup, possibly my favorite prog track of all time and definitely favorite of the era.

Other honorable mentions (songs and albums):

Mumps - Hatfield and the North
Aigrette - Hatfield and the North
Outbloody Rageous - Soft Machine
Facelift - Soft Machine (really the entire album Third)
Rivmic Melodies - Soft Machine (This is the name of the suite on the first side of their second album)
Sprinkling of Clouds - Gong
You Never Blow Yr Trip Forever - Gong
National Health - National Health
Driving to Amsterdam - Khan
Stranded - Khan
Queen St. Gang - Uriel (AKA Arzachel due to label issues, this entire album is fantastic)

But Mont Campbell, Dave Stewart and Clive Brooks were the greatest trifecta the world has ever seen. All this without the world knowing. 

Have you ever heard National Health's album Missing Pieces? It's an archival release from 1996 that captures material from the band's earliest days when the instrumentation was still relatively stripped down and Mont Campbell was still the main composer, and the result is something which I think sounds close to the final two Egg albums. You'll probably like it.

siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2020 at 09:12
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

If you only gave Rotter's Club 3 stars then you clearly don't understand the Canterbury Scene. That album is pretty much the pinnacle of the entire sound that evolved out of the Soft Machine / Caravan / Egg paradigm.

Many albums lumped into the genre like Steve Hillage and Gong are really more psychedelic space rock. Canterbury Scene is a unique brand of jazz-rock with prog tendencies. Hatfield & The North's albums are THE quintessential examples of this sound. Keep listening. It hasn't revealed its secrets yet or you're not listening close enough.

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2020 at 09:46
Originally posted by siLLy puPPy siLLy puPPy wrote:

If you only gave Rotter's Club 3 stars then you clearly don't understand the Canterbury Scene. That album is pretty much the pinnacle of the entire sound that evolved out of the Soft Machine / Caravan / Egg paradigm.

Many albums lumped into the genre like Steve Hillage and Gong are really more psychedelic space rock. Canterbury Scene is a unique brand of jazz-rock with prog tendencies. Hatfield & The North's albums are THE quintessential examples of this sound. Keep listening. It hasn't revealed its secrets yet or you're not listening close enough.
Agreed. In Paul's review of The Rotter's Club he apparently doesn't enjoy the silly lyrics, the song titles, and the jazzy, disjointed, complex arrangements and interludes. He prefers the melodic and harmonious sounds of Camel and Caravan to the "bizarre musical world" of Hatfield and the North. That's okay, but for me The Rotters Club is a masterpiece. Paul tries, but it is obvious he does not understand the Canterbury Scene. 

I agree with Paul's opinion of Khan's Space Shanty but not his view of Hatfield and the North.

Edited by Grumpyprogfan - January 22 2020 at 09:47
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2020 at 09:48

You're right. That's pretty much what I said at the end of my review. The music of Hatfield & the North is too complex for me to fully understand or truly appreciate, so I couldn't honestly give it a higher rating than three stars. I know most PA members gave The Rotter's Club a four or five star rating, but my rating and review is just my own personal point of view. Yes, it IS a good album, but I only give four or five star ratings  to albums that I'd actually want to go out and buy and spend £10 on, but I can't say that about Hatfield & the North, but then again, I've only listened to The Rotters' Club album twice, so maybe it's an album that requires several listens to really get into it.

I do like Steve Hillage's first four albums though, despite not being a big fan of his band, Gong. Smile

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - January 22 2020 at 09:51
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2020 at 09:53
I love Rotters’ Club to death but I fully get why others don’t. Hell my best friend is all kinds of crazy for the Canterbury sound and has been for 15 years...yet he’s not wild about Hatfield & The North. He loves National Health though...which I always found extremely odd as both bands seem to straddle the looneybin outskirts of the Canterbury sound...which perhaps isn’t all that strange considering who is playing what
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2020 at 10:07
Originally posted by Grumpyprogfan Grumpyprogfan wrote:

Agreed. In Paul's review of The Rotter's Club he apparently doesn't enjoy the silly lyrics, the song titles, and the jazzy, disjointed, complex arrangements and interludes. He prefers the melodic and harmonious sounds of Camel and Caravan to the "bizarre musical world" of Hatfield and the North. That's okay, but for me The Rotters Club is a masterpiece. Paul tries, but it is obvious he does not understand the Canterbury Scene. 

I agree with Paul's opinion of Khan's Space Shanty but not his view of Hatfield and the North.
That's perfectly fine. I don't expect everyone to agree with my reviews because they're just my own personal opinion, but it's good to know you agreed with my review for Khan's superb  Space Shanty album. Smile

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - January 22 2020 at 10:08
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2020 at 10:55

You're right. That's pretty much what I said at the end of my review. The music of Hatfield & the North is too complex for me to fully understand or truly appreciate, so I couldn't honestly give it a higher rating than three stars. I know most PA members gave The Rotter's Club a four or five star rating, but my rating and review is just my own personal point of view. Yes, it IS a good album, but I only give four or five star ratings  to albums that I'd actually want to go out and buy and spend £10 on, but I can't say that about Hatfield & the North, but then again, I've only listened to The Rotters' Club album twice, so maybe it's an album that requires several listens to really get into it.

I do like Steve Hillage's first four albums though, despite not being a big fan of his band, Gong. Smile

If you've only listened to it twice, what makes you think you could possibly write a review about it? It literally took me about five years for it to sink in and I'm an eclectic avid music consumer as well as a musician. Youre attempting to critique something above your comprehension and in the process offer no insight into the music itself. I personally don't review albums until I understand them on a deeper level

Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2020 at 11:06
I have much better access to National Health than to Hatfield and the North, and Rotters' Club is one of these "respect but not love" albums for me. Full of interesting stuff, but to my intuition not all of this makes musical sense. And I'm surely not somebody who needs stuff to be melodic and nice. Although maybe I've not listened enough to it either. Anyway, more intellectual & complex doesn't always mean better.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2020 at 11:20
Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

I have much better access to National Health than to Hatfield and the North, and Rotters' Club is one of these "respect but not love" albums for me. Full of interesting stuff, but to my intuition not all of this makes musical sense. And I'm surely not somebody who needs stuff to be melodic and nice. Although maybe I've not listened enough to it either. Anyway, more intellectual & complex doesn't always mean better.
I agree. I much prefer National Health's first album too. The Rotters' Club is an album I can respect as a good album, but it's not an album I'd actually want to go out and spend good money on. If I really didn't like the album though, I would have given it two stars. I listened to Matching Mole's first album recently and didn't like it at all, so I chose not to review it rather than give it a negative two star rating. Smile

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - January 22 2020 at 11:21
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2020 at 12:18
I mentioned them earlier on but I feel Needlepoint deserve a post of their own. These guys are quite simply brilliant. They absolutely nail that oh so elusive 70s feel both in chops and production.
Both Aimless Mary and The Diary Of Robert Reverie feel like lost classic Canterbury albums from around 1972. If you dig your Caravan, Hatfield and early Softs, you need to hear this band:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9H8BHGp0KfY

Edited by Guldbamsen - January 22 2020 at 12:21
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2020 at 12:41
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

I love Rotters’ Club to death but I fully get why others don’t. Hell my best friend is all kinds of crazy for the Canterbury sound and has been for 15 years...yet he’s not wild about Hatfield & The North. He loves National Health though...which I always found extremely odd as both bands seem to straddle the looneybin outskirts of the Canterbury sound...which perhaps isn’t all that strange considering who is playing what
There are some bands in the Canterbury Scene who I really like a lot, such as Caravan, Khan and National Health, for instance, but then there are other Canterbury Scene bands who I've never really been able to get into, such as Gong, Soft Machine, Egg, Matching Mole and Hatfield & the North, so I'm basically in agreement with your best friend. Smile

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - January 22 2020 at 12:49
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2020 at 12:51

Agree. I totally get why others don't. I just find it strangets when someone reviews an album and can only state that they don't get it. Why even bother?

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2020 at 13:03

If you've only listened to it twice, what makes you think you could possibly write a review about it? It literally took me about five years for it to sink in and I'm an eclectic avid music consumer as well as a musician. Youre attempting to critique something above your comprehension and in the process offer no insight into the music itself. I personally don't review albums until I understand them on a deeper level
At least three-quarters of the albums I've reviewed I only listened to a couple of times, so why should Hatfield & the North be any different? I don't have time to wait five years to understand an album on a deeper level before I review every album. Smile
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Rednight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2020 at 13:14
Anyone want to recommend the go-to album by Kevin Ayers (RIP)?
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2020 at 13:18
Back to the music: Hatfield & the North - Live at Rainbow Theatre 1975

FloydianPinkRose View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote FloydianPinkRose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2020 at 13:28
When I come to PA it is as an observer and not as a Prog aficionado, as I have eclectic tastes in music and Prog is part of that. I am friends with Psychedelic Paul and really appreciate his insight and excellent writing ability. He has reviewed albums I had no idea we're even out there, and have listened and enjoyed. But it didn't take five years for me to decide if it was something I could truly appreciate or pay good money for. Most of his reviews give me joy just to read because he has such a flair with his descriptions, is so in tune with what the album is about, and gives a history of the band members. Very interesting! I get a 360 degree view of the album. I have gone and listened to a good deal of the albums he has reviewed and now have a broader perspective of the musical horizon. I welcome genres that in the past I excluded out of ignorance and laziness. I really owe this to Psychedelic Paul, because it is he who helped me see and hear the plethora of Prog groups out there. I can't wait to discover more....just want to say to Guldbamsen, your comment about "straddling the looneybin skirts..." was hilarious! Keep it up, Paul. Your number one fan, FloydianPinkRose.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2020 at 13:36
Originally posted by FloydianPinkRose FloydianPinkRose wrote:

When I come to PA it is as an observer and not as a Prog aficionado, as I have eclectic tastes in music and Prog is part of that. I am friends with Psychedelic Paul and really appreciate his insight and excellent writing ability. He has reviewed albums I had no idea we're even out there, and have listened and enjoyed. But it didn't take five years for me to decide if it was something I could truly appreciate or pay good money for. Most of his reviews give me joy just to read because he has such a flair with his descriptions, is so in tune with what the album is about, and gives a history of the band members. Very interesting! I get a 360 degree view of the album. I have gone and listened to a good deal of the albums he has reviewed and now have a broader perspective of the musical horizon. I welcome genres that in the past I excluded out of ignorance and laziness. I really owe this to Psychedelic Paul, because it is he who helped me see and hear the plethora of Prog groups out there. I can't wait to discover more....just want to say to Guldbamsen, your comment about "straddling the looneybin skirts..." was hilarious! Keep it up, Paul. Your number one fan, FloydianPinkRose.

Thank you so much for your warm generous praise. I'm your number one fan too! Heart
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2020 at 14:04
Originally posted by Rednight Rednight wrote:

I think his first 5 albums are worth owning but singling one out rather depends on your tastes. The obvious is Joy Of A Toy which I love..but my two faves of his are actually Whatevershebringswesing and The Confessions Of Dr. Dream & Other Stories.

- Douglas Adams
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2020 at 14:21

Originally posted by Rednight Rednight wrote:

I think his first 5 albums are worth owning but singling one out rather depends on your tastes. The obvious is Joy Of A Toy which I love..but my two faves of his are actually Whatevershebringswesing and The Confessions Of Dr. Dream & Other Stories.
I generally like Kevin Ayers, but this piece of unlistenable  "music" from his second album almost put me off him for life. Confused

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 14>