Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

King Crimson - Lizard (1970)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: King Crimson - Lizard (1970)
    Posted: January 10 2020 at 01:18

I got the 30th anniversary disc, and man I'm really enjoying it! I never had a real chance to sit down with this one; as a jazz and fusion fan, I'm loving the feel of this release. Lots of VDGG/Zappa-like moments to be had...and this was 1970!

What a unique era; what are your thoughts on this one? Like it? Don't like it? Why?! My official review will be up soon.

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2020 at 02:18
if push comes to shove, then ultimately Lizard will be my fave Crimson album

The only weaker points are Lady Of Dancing Waters, and the Big Top album recapitulative
AZF View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AZF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2020 at 02:24
I love the first side. Second took a bit longer. But yes, a really solid album.
Happy Family is my favourite.
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldJean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2020 at 03:23
my favorite KC album

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2020 at 03:45
I wouldn't say it's my favourite KC album, but it's among the best, although I discovered it only very late. It's very fresh, original, playful, and unique, and I was delighted to see KC playing quite a bit of it live recently. I don't think there's any album of any band that sounds like it.
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2020 at 04:11
Not my favourite (Court is) but still one of my biggest KC favourites (I think only Court & Red comes over it, Wake is also very near).
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2020 at 05:58
So different. So odd. So weird. So good.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2020 at 08:39
The idiotic laughter at the end of indoor games is atrocious...even worse than the easy money one.
AZF View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AZF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2020 at 08:52
Originally posted by Barbu Barbu wrote:

The idiotic laughter at the end of indoor games is atrocious...even worse than the easy money one.

I saw the laugh as a pisstake of the hangers on backstage who talk loud, laugh atrociously like the end of Indoor Games, and when asked their favourite part of the gig?
"Oh I didn't see the gig, I was chatting backstage!". My clues for thinking this is looking at the lyrics and smiling thinking "Yeah. I've met people like that!".
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2020 at 08:56
^ I had a chat with vocalist Gordon Haskell at a club he played at. He said that he couldn't keep straight face while trying to pretend laugh and it really pissed Fripp off. He was glad it did and has disowned the album.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blacksword Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2020 at 09:14
^^ Yeah, I read that Haskell didn't like the album.

Lizard is pretty 'out there' even by KC standards, but I still enjoy the album. It's by no means my favourite, but I give it a spin every now and then.
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2020 at 09:16
Haskell is the definite low point of the album, he clearly sounds like a guy who wants to be elsewhere. The rest is awesome, especially Bolero, charming and splendid and one of the high points of the whole Crimson discography.     
HackettFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HackettFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2020 at 10:00
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

So different. So odd. So weird. So good.
So right.
A curse upon the heads of those who seek their fortunes in a lie. The truth is always waiting when there's nothing left to try. - Colin Henson, Jade Warrior (Now)
dougmcauliffe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2020 at 10:13
A solid album, nice 4 stars from me and a big improvement on wake
The sun has left the sky...
...Now you can close your eyes
HackettFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HackettFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2020 at 10:14
I love both laughs. I also like Adrian Belew’s Laughing Man off the his Desire Caught by the Tail album.
A curse upon the heads of those who seek their fortunes in a lie. The truth is always waiting when there's nothing left to try. - Colin Henson, Jade Warrior (Now)
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2020 at 11:12
Not my personal favorite by them...but imho...classic Crimson.....an eerie wonderful album.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2020 at 17:45
I like it overall.  Its peak to me is the opening number "Cirkus".  Wonderful.  It's low point is definitely "Happy Family".   dreadful.  "Lady of the Dancing Water", "Prince Rupert Awakes" and "Bolero" are all really good too.
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldJean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2020 at 17:52
Originally posted by kenethlevine kenethlevine wrote:

I like it overall.  Its peak to me is the opening number "Cirkus".  Wonderful.  It's low point is definitely "Happy Family".   dreadful.  "Lady of the Dancing Water", "Prince Rupert Awakes" and "Bolero" are all really good too.

I love "Happy Family". quite a satirical song about the Beatles

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2020 at 18:01
Originally posted by BaldJean BaldJean wrote:

Originally posted by kenethlevine kenethlevine wrote:

I love "Happy Family". quite a satirical song about the Beatles

my teenage self thought not of the equipment when I deliberately dragged the needle across the LP on that song.  Maybe I should revisit it now?  I did grow to like Indoor Games  
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2020 at 18:30
Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

The only weaker points are Lady Of Dancing Waters, and the Big Top album recapitulative

exactly the same for me. Love the album.
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>