Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Top 10s and lists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

List Your Favorite Albums from 2019

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2020 at 10:00
IQ. No shadow of a doubt. The latest CD is the best listen for me since 1980 when I first heard TFTO and GFTO. And the long epic is probably in my top 10 tracks of all time...
progmatic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote progmatic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2020 at 10:00
I love Hackett's album as well. The guy puts out so many albums this one kind of got lost in the shuffle but it is one of his best!
PROGMATIC
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2020 at 10:02
The hackett album will have to go some to catch it...but I will listen to it i the next month...

Edited by M27Barney - January 11 2020 at 10:02
TCat View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2020 at 10:51
I know there are a lot of people that love the Hackett album, and even though I think it is good, I believe the one by Djabe is even better and included it on the list.  Steve Hackett is on all but one of the tracks and is a very important factor in the album acting more as a member of the band than just a guest.  I would suggest Hackett fans also listen to that one.   Djabe (w/Steve Hackett) – “Back to Sardinia

Tapfret View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Tapfret Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2020 at 11:18
That is a heck of a lot of reviewing, good sir. Couple that with your new release threads and essentially carrying the brunt of the Eclectic biography load, you deserve some sort of prolific contributor medal.

Thank you!
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2020 at 11:19
Originally posted by progmatic progmatic wrote:

My favorite from 2019 is The Psychedelic Ensemble "Mother's Rhymes"

Very Ian Anderson-esque in phrasing, and his voice is very Tullish in an 80s sort of way.

...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2020 at 17:16
^^Love TPE. One of my new faves.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2020 at 01:11
Originally posted by TCat TCat wrote:

I know there are a lot of people that love the Hackett album, and even though I think it is good, I believe the one by Djabe is even better and included it on the list.  Steve Hackett is on all but one of the tracks and is a very important factor in the album acting more as a member of the band than just a guest.  I would suggest Hackett fans also listen to that one.   Djabe (w/Steve Hackett) – “Back to Sardinia

I keep thinking about that one but never quite got to the point of ordering it. Maybe will now
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2020 at 01:14

Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Steve Hackett - At The Edge of Light. That is a phenomenal work but i seem to be the only one who thinks that. It's great old school pompous prog at it's best imo.

I also love the Thieves Kitchen album  Genius Loci. Very suprised not see that on such a long list.

I can also safely disregard a neo prog list that doesn't include IQ.

I'm not a big fan of IQ.  That happens.  There are some great neo-prog albums out there that don't have IQ's name on them, so don't disregard it just because of that.

I'll probably check out the Edisons Children album as I like what I've heard previously. The only other band I'm familiar with is Huis but I was a bit underwhelmed tbh.( but haven't heard the latest)
Lewa View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Lewa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2020 at 03:17
Hi. I just want to say: Thank you!

In your list, I actually found some albums that I had missed. Now I'm off to try them.
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2020 at 04:51
Anyway. Far too many on that list, no way can all those be of equal quality at the top of the genre they appear in. And this list does not contain IQ , The Tangent nor Hackett.. more likely the list is pacjed wirh chock average releases...
TCat View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2020 at 09:31
Originally posted by M27Barney M27Barney wrote:

Anyway. Far too many on that list, no way can all those be of equal quality at the top of the genre they appear in. And this list does not contain IQ , The Tangent nor Hackett.. more likely the list is pacjed wirh chock average releases...

Just curious...how many new releases and reviews did you do for last year?

Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2020 at 09:48
^Nice reply TCat. Thanks again for the list even though our tastes are different. Glad to see Thank You Scientist made the cut.
I prophesy disaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote I prophesy disaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2020 at 10:28
I'm happy to see:

Lost Crowns – “Every Night Something Happens”
Mercury Tree – “Spidermilk”

in the list.

No, I know how to behave in the restaurant now, I don't tear at the meat with my hands. If I've become a man of the world somehow, that's not necessarily to say I'm a worldly man.
TCat View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2020 at 12:33
Originally posted by I prophesy disaster I prophesy disaster wrote:

I'm happy to see:

Lost Crowns – “Every Night Something Happens”
Mercury Tree – “Spidermilk”

in the list.

Both of which are in my top 20 by the way.

TCat View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2020 at 12:34
Originally posted by Grumpyprogfan Grumpyprogfan wrote:

^Nice reply TCat. Thanks again for the list even though our tastes are different. Glad to see Thank You Scientist made the cut.

Also in the top 20.

rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2020 at 12:34
Have you heard Transiberiana from Banco Del Mutuo Soccorso?  With only 3 listed in your RPI list I thought this one could be another suggestion.
TCat View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2020 at 12:40
Originally posted by rushfan4 rushfan4 wrote:

Have you heard Transiberiana from Banco Del Mutuo Soccorso?  With only 3 listed in your RPI list I thought this one could be another suggestion.

Good suggestion.  I was unable to hear that one but will be revisiting it since they are a favorite band.  For some reason, I had a hard time getting to more of the RPI bands and didn't have enough time to dig really deep if they weren't easily accessible to stream or purchase.

auxfnx View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote auxfnx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2020 at 03:35
Thank you so much TCat for including the new Rascal Reporters release. <3
We are so happy to be back making music and putting stuff out, and I am particularly proud of it as my entry point into the band's history! Delighted to see it made a list :)
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2020 at 00:18

Originally posted by rushfan4 rushfan4 wrote:

Good suggestion.  I was unable to hear that one but will be revisiting it since they are a favorite band.  For some reason, I had a hard time getting to more of the RPI bands and didn't have enough time to dig really deep if they weren't easily accessible to stream or purchase.

I found it a bit bland. Probably won't make my own list of 20 although I'm currently stuck for about 6 spots . Struggled to find that much that was good for 2019. None of my top four picks even make it to your list lol.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>