Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Rush appreciation thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 28>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Rush appreciation thread
    Posted: Yesterday at 11:24
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

Under appreciated by the masses to me would be Presto. All the songs hold their own, but none are mega standout songs. I saw that tour back in like '90 in Maryland, the setlist during that era was kinda strange as the Presto songs did not marry up well with Hemispheres or AFTK.......It was the era where people were getting into Rush but because of Signals not because of CoS or 2112.

I think "Show Don't Tell" is a standout and better than anything on Roll the Bones. It got substantial airplay till "The Pass" was released as a single. The Presto songs all sounded much better live (I saw them in Los Angeles and San Diego on that tour), especially "Show Don't Tell"! One of my favorite basslines by Geddy, too.

This clip is excellent but is disabled for playback on other sites.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J41AXq3-Mc0

AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2024 at 21:38

Under appreciated by the masses to me would be Presto. All the songs hold their own, but none are mega standout songs. I saw that tour back in like '90 in Maryland, the setlist during that era was kinda strange as the Presto songs did not marry up well with Hemispheres or AFTK.......It was the era where people were getting into Rush but because of Signals not because of CoS or 2112.

Things change over time and now because of the internet people get into bands through albums that they probably wouldn't have in the 80s or 90s. I would say these days most people are getting into Rush through Moving Pictures (and Yes through CTTE but this is a Rush thread Tongue).
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2024 at 16:54
Jeffro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeffro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2024 at 14:32
Originally posted by Grumpyprogfan Grumpyprogfan wrote:

^Caress of Steel usually is viewed unfavorably. I think it's a great album.

CoS is definitely underrated and underappreciated. Not by me of course though. Big smile
We all live in an amber subdomain, amber subdomain, amber subdomain.

My face IS a maserati
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2024 at 12:24
"I think I'm going bald" is almost like the Rush equivalent of "Harold the Barrell" or "Get em out by Friday." It's a song that you can't really take too seriously even if it's not overtly comical like those Genesis songs. I suppose some people think "don't kill the whale" is kind of a dumb song too.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2024 at 11:51
I'm not much of a Rush fan (like some music but not a fan really), but I have loved Caress of Steel. Maybe something to do with me not counting myself as a Rush fan. "I Think I'm Going Bald" is a pretty unappreciated song (over or under I won't get into).

Edited by Logan - April 26 2024 at 11:55
Just a fanboy passin' through.
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2024 at 11:50
^Caress of Steel usually is viewed unfavorably. I think it's a great album.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2024 at 11:30
So what do you guys think is the most underrated or underappreciated Rush album? I would say either Presto, Hold Your Fire or Test For Echo. I could say Roll the Bones but that one actually went platinum (as did Fly by Night).
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2023 at 10:10

I think it will be very reminiscent of Geddy's solo album, maybe yacht rock LOL.

Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2023 at 02:28
Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

My take? Geddy and Alex don't have to do squat. It's like a bunch of people expect them to get back out there, when that's not on either's agenda.

They already toured their behinds off. Geddy wrecked his voice. Personally, I'd rather he just play bass and leave the larynx slinging to someone else.

Like you say, they can record some new stuff in the studio with some different drummers (Matt Cameron, Mike Portnoy, Marco Minnemann, another drummer whose first name begins with M), and if anything materializes beyond that, great.

But they don't have to do squat. Especially not with their money!
For sure they don't need it for a paycheck, both are multi millionaires. I am sure they miss playing live, Geddy more than Alex and for sure more than Neil. There is so much yack on the web about it, and I have heard Geddy say he would like to play live again. Even the recent CBS Sunday Morning interview he said it but also said it's not a guarantee, anything is possible, I think that's as far as he has gone. I've not heard or read that he or Alex have said publicly they are looking for a drummer, I am sure privately they have talked about it......I don't think they use someone like Portnoy, I mean Alex did not use a "name brand drummer" for his record, they can get away with many session drummers that don't need the chops that Neil had, I just don't see them making that kind of music anymore. People think they are going to make the next La Villa Strangiato or Xanadu....I think it will be very reminiscent of Geddy's solo album, maybe yacht rock LOL.

Anyhow, it's nutz what people are saying like on FB.....
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2023 at 17:33
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

That's all good and well, but you know how these artistic types like to create. We've not heard the last from Geddy and Alex.

It doesn't mean they're going to mount a full-blown tour, and I doubt they want that. Maybe a few dates, including the belated tribute to Neil.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2023 at 11:46
That's all good and well, but you know how these artistic types like to create. We've not heard the last from Geddy and Alex.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2023 at 10:37
My take? Geddy and Alex don't have to do squat. It's like a bunch of people expect them to get back out there, when that's not on either's agenda.

They already toured their behinds off. Geddy wrecked his voice. Personally, I'd rather he just play bass and leave the larynx slinging to someone else.

Like you say, they can record some new stuff in the studio with some different drummers (Matt Cameron, Mike Portnoy, Marco Minnemann, another drummer whose first name begins with M), and if anything materializes beyond that, great.

But they don't have to do squat. Especially not with their money!
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2023 at 23:52
Originally posted by rushfan4 rushfan4 wrote:

Geddy Lee released two "lost" demos from his My Favorite Headache album.  The songs are Gone and I Am...You Are.   The songs are pretty good. Somewhat mellow.  Gone was written about the death of Neil's daughter but he decided not to release it at the time because the feelings were still to raw and he didn't want to upset Neil.  Has anybody heard these and what do you think?

I've heard them a few times.....I like Gone, I Am is ok. Yea more mellow than would be my preference, but I suspect Geddy has been itching to release these.
I'm not sure I would expect anything from Geddy that matches the power of say Something For Nothing or of late like Headlong Flight. Alex has shown his cards with his release last year.

All this talk and posting on the WWW about them touring with a different drummer is (to me) click bait. I am sure personally Geddy and Alex have discussed it, but I really don't see Alex going on the road anytime soon especially after having stomach surgery recently, at his age is a long recovery. Geddy and his memoir book tour, even if they were serious nothing happens till next year late.
I would prefer they go into the studio and record a couple records (new music) with different session drummers and see how that works. If they still feel the need to go out and tour then fine, but honestly that's a few yrs away IMO, at best. I don't see Alex doing that though.....

I hope they think this thing thru really HARD....it could turn out to be kind not good.

Jeffro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeffro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2023 at 16:07
Originally posted by rushfan4 rushfan4 wrote:

Geddy Lee released two "lost" demos from his My Favorite Headache album.  The songs are Gone and I Am...You Are.   The songs are pretty good. Somewhat mellow.  Gone was written about the death of Neil's daughter but he decided not to release it at the time because the feelings were still to raw and he didn't want to upset Neil.  Has anybody heard these and what do you think?

I really like I Am...You Are. Gone does nothing for me.
We all live in an amber subdomain, amber subdomain, amber subdomain.

My face IS a maserati
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2023 at 14:22
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2023 at 13:11
Lesanderd View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lesanderd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2023 at 03:48
Low quality video but Alex incorporated his guitar intro and solo from Rush's "A Passage to Bangkok" into Tool song.
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progbethyname Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2023 at 03:21
Originally posted by dorotik dorotik wrote:

Got my first cassette player in September of 1979. Fanatically bought Memorex blank cassettes and taped everything I could off classic rock radio for the next several months. First exposure to MY music vs. my parents' Charlie Rich, Neil Diamond, etc. First song from Rush I ever heard was "Free Will" from Permanent Waves. Three songs got regular airplay - Free Will, obviously Spirit of Radio, and one that gets forgotten about- Entre Nous (Just Between Us)- that was played just as much as the other 2 back in the day. And I found Caress of Steel in a bargain bin (shame on them!), so I got hooked on that one, too.

Immediately noted the musicianship within very listenable music. All of them followed: Moving Pictures, Signals, Grace Under Pressure..... went to every tour I could, bought every cassette, CD, and MP3 of theirs, and fortunately saw them on Clockwork. Top 10 favorite band of all time. Best combination of musicians in any band- maybe The Who or Yes comes very close. Best drummer ever- awesome lyrics (I think about Time Stands Still a LOT these days), and I actually like Geddy Lee's voice. Can't say enough of how glad I am I grew up in the same timeframe that Rush released records and played live. 

Really nice post. Thank you.
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2023 at 23:30
Check out Crown Lands latest album Fearless. They have late seventies early eighties Rush down pat. Its a fun listen!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 28>