Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Rush appreciation thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2324252627 28>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2022 at 10:39
Originally posted by Jeffro Jeffro wrote:

Originally posted by RockHound RockHound wrote:

Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

Yup, as well writing about the TV show Twilight Zone on Side II of 2112.....I like Anagram!

I like "Dog Years"! Why do so many people hate it?!

I like Test for Echo in general-It's the last Rush album I have really gotten into. I enjoy some of the later releases like Snakes and Arrows and Clockwork Angels, but for some reason Test is that last one to connect with me at a visceral level. Driven is a song I really love-I think it's the way Lifeson gets his guitar to scream. Very heavy feel.

Driven is even better on the Different Stages live album

For me, the best of Test For Echo is Driven, Totem and Time and Motion.

Limbo is good. Virtuality starts out with that killer riff and then falls off. I can take or leave the rest of the album.
I agree with that.....Driven is pretty awesome track!
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2022 at 14:40
Originally posted by RockHound RockHound wrote:

Yup, as well writing about the TV show Twilight Zone on Side II of 2112.....I like Anagram!

I like "Dog Years"! Why do so many people hate it?!

I like Test for Echo in general-It's the last Rush album I have really gotten into. I enjoy some of the later releases like Snakes and Arrows and Clockwork Angels, but for some reason Test is that last one to connect with me at a visceral level. Driven is a song I really love-I think it's the way Lifeson gets his guitar to scream. Very heavy feel.

No love for Vapor Trails? I think it's amazing. Some of the heaviest post-70s Rush, too!
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2022 at 15:41
I'm a big lover of Vapor Trails!! I love the return to Guitar, Bass, Drums, hard heavy stuff. I played that CD all the time, so happy that they returned to the studio after the hiatus.
The mastering is of course brick walled to death with little dynamics, but to me it always just fit the musical style so I never complained too much.
Then the remixed version came out and I heard the album in a different way...

Secret Touch is a killer tune that just never stops. 

Edited by Catcher10 - June 10 2022 at 15:42
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2022 at 16:59

I'm a big lover of Vapor Trails!! I love the return to Guitar, Bass, Drums, hard heavy stuff. I played that CD all the time, so happy that they returned to the studio after the hiatus.

Vapor Trails knocked me for a loop when I first heard it. "One Little Victory"...holy cow! The boys were back with a literal vengeance. When I got ahold of my old friend, the one who helped get me into Rush, even he remarked that the music caught him off-guard!

The mastering is of course brick walled to death with little dynamics, but to me it always just fit the musical style so I never complained too much.

The mastering has caught hell over the years, but honestly, it never bothered me. In fact, while there's more clarity with the remix, I think the original has more punch...more balls.

Then the remixed version came out and I heard the album in a different way...

My favorite song, "Freeze," sounds almost like an alternate take. I like both.

Secret Touch is a killer tune that just never stops.

The whole album slays! "Earthshine" is probably my second favorite song.
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2022 at 12:53
Catcher, you'll never guess which solo made it onto this list! (Go to 5:12 if you can't wait!)

Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2022 at 16:00

Catcher, you'll never guess which solo made it onto this list! (Go to 5:12 if you can't wait!)

Oh yea...I subscribe to Rick's channel. I remember that video, Alex's song is from Counterparts IIRC....
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2022 at 16:36
Yes, "Cut to the Chase"! A very pleasant surprise. Thumbs Up
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2022 at 17:12
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2022 at 12:42
Originally posted by Grumpyprogfan Grumpyprogfan wrote:

Polar opposites......Neil and Alex's speech. Neil the consummate gentleman, highly intelligent speaker with references that make you go wow I do get it and makes total sense.

Versus Alex and his WTF speech....LOL
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2022 at 13:08
^Alex's WTF speech is awesome and hilarious.    Supposedly, Alex had a speech written but instead he improvised the blah blah routine, surprising Geddy and Neil.
bardberic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote bardberic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2022 at 13:32

^Alex's WTF speech is awesome and hilarious.    Supposedly, Alex had a speech written but instead he improvised the blah blah routine, surprising Geddy and Neil.

I mean it's actually brilliant. He managed to generate a comprehensible and understanding dialogue, yet give the award ceremony the middle finger, all whilst uttering a single word.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2022 at 14:50

No, I agree 100%. My point is it shows the polar opposites of Neil and Alex when it came to being in the public eye. Alex had no issues doing what he did.
You can easily follow along with Alex......
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2022 at 22:12
I was going to make this a poll but decided to post here instead. What do you guys think was the last full blown progressive rock album that Rush did? For me it was probably Moving Pictures. However, I would say that Signals up to and including Hold Your Fire all had strong prog elements. After that I think they significantly moved away from an overtly proggy sound although still had the occasional proggy moments. So again, MP for me and then increasingly less so after that. By counterparts they had basically moved back to where they came from imo (a hard rock band).

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - June 24 2022 at 02:03
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2022 at 22:16
Clockwork Angels.
Deadwing View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deadwing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2022 at 04:11
Honestly only Hold Your Fire - Presto - Roll the Bones albums aren't very proggy, the rest (especially the last 3) are very proggy to me.
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2022 at 04:18
Originally posted by Deadwing Deadwing wrote:

Honestly only Hold Your Fire - Presto - Roll the Bones albums aren't very proggy, the rest (especially the last 3) are very proggy to me.

I find HYF to be quite proggy. That chorus intro to force ten? Come on! LOL
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2022 at 09:18
All of them have proggy moments, but full blown progressive rock?? Hmm Ermm. If we are talking song compositions and time signatures, complex rhythms, deep thought provoking lyrics then that stuff is in all their albums.
But albums full of Xanadu, Fountain Of Lamneth, Hemispheres, La Villa Strangiato.....
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2022 at 12:40

All of them have proggy moments, but full blown progressive rock?? Hmm Ermm. If we are talking song compositions and time signatures, complex rhythms, deep thought provoking lyrics then that stuff is in all their albums.

Right. I remember an interview in Musician when Presto came out. The article was even called (liberally paraphrasing here) "Rush: The Band That Made Rock Safe for 7/4." (The song in question was "Superconductor.")

And let's not forget that bass solo on "Show Don't Tell." That song/video aired on both FM and MTV during a time when there was a noticeably anti-prog sentiment felt throughout the scene in general...
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2022 at 13:22

Right. I remember an interview in Musician when Presto came out. The article was even called (liberally paraphrasing here) "Rush: The Band That Made Rock Safe for 7/4." (The song in question was "Superconductor.")

And let's not forget that bass solo on "Show Don't Tell." That song/video aired on both FM and MTV during a time when there was a noticeably anti-prog sentiment felt throughout the scene in general...

....word...
Sacro_Porgo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sacro_Porgo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2022 at 01:22
Interesting question, I'll bite. To me, Everything from FBN through HYF was either increasingly proggy or at least progressive in the more technical sense (i.e. the fusion of new wave and synth pop influences with their technical rock stylings to create a new sound all their own in the mid 80s). Presto has its moments (Red Shore feels decidedly in their prog tradition, whatever you think of the quality), and oddly RTB's title track has a pretty weird structure compared to the other songs on that album (also there's a single time in Where's My Thing where they add one extra beat for no reason except that they can, and I love it every single time), but overall those two albums are really more about stripping back all the "unnecessary" layers and focusing on traditional songwriting, albeit Rush's interpretation of traditional songwriting. 
CP and T4E don't really get much more prog than that as the band look to really reconnect with their hard rock roots, and maybe take some inspiration from the heavy rock revival going on with grunge and the alternative revolution.  CP does have Double Agent though, which if you care more about the prog of the 70s than the more literal concept of progressive music, it's the most prog they've sounded in years. But most of the record sits just a little closer to The Speed Of Love than Xanadu, to put it lightly. Anyway after the hiatus things get increasingly prog again in my opinion. 
What VT lacks in multi-part suites it makes up for in sounding wholly unlike anything else Rush have ever done, and frankly not much like anything anyone else has ever done either. It's not really prog yet, but the songs take long enough in many places that they seem to at least be thinking about how to stretch out again.  Snakes sees them more fully rekindle that old prog style with both overt references to past prog of theirs (the Hemisphere's chord in Far Cry being the main example) and new excursions into more extended length composition (The Way The Wind Blows, Armor And Sword, and The Main Monkey Business all break the 6 minute mark). Not to mention it's got three separate instrumental tracks ranging from a lovely solo acoustic guitar piece to a funky bass showcase in the vein of YYZ.  
But the real full return to Rush's progressive roots and glory has to be Clockwork Angels.  Incredibly, it's their first full concept album, with an accompanying novel (one which I quite enjoyed in high school even if I can't say it's a masterpiece of fiction or anything).  It's also the first Rush album since Moving Pictures to feature even a single song over 7 minutes long, and it has 3 of them.  Now, there aren't any 10 to 20 minute prog epics here, but the three 7ish minute cuts don't waste a single second of runtime, something that I can't really say about all of the various 6ish minute cuts from their last few albums.  The album takes you on a musical journey and it feels like a truly cohesive experience, something the band hadn't fully achieved in years, if not decades. So to answer your question, I'd say CA was the last full blown progressive rock album Rush ever did, but before that it would've been HYF or maybe PoW.
Porg for short. My love of music doesn't end with prog! Feel free to discuss all sorts of music with me. Odds are I'll give it a chance if I haven't already! :)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2324252627 28>