Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tubular Bells vs Larks' Tongues in Aspic

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Poll Question: Which album do you prefer?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
39 [66.10%]
18 [30.51%]
2 [3.39%]
0 [0.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Ruby900 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ruby900 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2020 at 15:18
Love both equally, but for very different reasons. Complete an utter dead heat for me.
"I always say that it’s about breaking the rules. But the secret of breaking rules in a way that works is understanding what the rules are in the first place". Rick Wakeman
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2020 at 13:31
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

LTIA. The first movement of Tubular Bells is great, but it peters out pretty quickly thereafter.

the second part is a bit disjointed compared to the first part which flows much better. However to Oldfields credit it is completely different and does have some beautiful moments. Maybe it would have been better to have left in the version of Sailor's Hornpipe with Viv Stanshall that's on 'Boxed' although I think it was not Oldfield's decision.

Actually, I do love just about half of the second side... it's got some moments that even surpass the first side... yet, once it gets to The Caveman I just can't enjoy it as much anymore. Too bad the music is working on a seemingly magnificent build-up... just to end up doing The Caveman.
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blacksword Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2020 at 06:48
LTIA.

TB is a 'clever' album, but it's not the best from Oldfield IMO, and I've heard it enough.
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2020 at 06:44
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

LTIA. The first movement of Tubular Bells is great, but it peters out pretty quickly thereafter.

the second part is a bit disjointed compared to the first part which flows much better. However to Oldfields credit it is completely different and does have some beautiful moments. Maybe it would have been better to have left in the version of Sailor's Hornpipe with Viv Stanshall that's on 'Boxed' although I think it was not Oldfield's decision.
Maybe the reason is, if I remember right, that Oldfield originally composed & made demo just the first part. I also think the first part is better, but like really much also the second.
digdug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote digdug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2020 at 06:34
love both 

but

Oldfield
Prog On!
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2020 at 00:48

richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2020 at 00:44
the bells .. the bells
Dopeydoc View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dopeydoc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2020 at 15:23
Larks
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2020 at 11:39
I really like Tubular Bells, but Larks takes my vote.
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2020 at 11:22
Tubular
Braka1 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Braka1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2020 at 08:10

That's how I feel about 'Thick as a Brick'

Believe me Pope Paul, my toes are clean
dwill123 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dwill123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2020 at 05:40
Larks' Tongues in Aspic
Hercules View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hercules Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2020 at 03:02
Originally posted by someone_else someone_else wrote:

Tubular Bells easily, very easily indeed...

Absolutely!
A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2020 at 01:41
Interesting juxtaposition! LTIA is probably my fave KC record and era, so no brainer.

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2020 at 23:58
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

Tubular Bells, iconic album! Larks' is good, but I rate a good number of Crimson albums higher.

Not me. It's my absolute favorite. However, for a while I just thought it was whacked out and I didn't get it. That is until I realized it being so crazy is what made it so special. No other KC album like that.
Larks is not my favorite, but really high (I think only Court, Red & Lizard are ahead of it, Wake also quite the same level). Anyway together with Starless & Bible it has one of the quietest & loudest KC in same album and that´s really great! And I really loved that album at the moment I heard it first time, as also other KC seventies albums! But it´s little bit funny I didn´t get into KC same time when I get into prog, I just heard then "Epitaph" & "the Court Of the Crimson King"-songs and they sounded me too pathetic. But some years after that I heard "In the Court"-album as whole and so started my KC-love!
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YESESIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2020 at 22:02
Voted for Larks'. I agree with Doug that if it had been Ommadawn would have been different... closer but still would have voted for Larks'. That's just a great album. I do like Ommadawn a lot though.
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2020 at 18:07
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
Mormegil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mormegil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2020 at 16:15
The bells . . . the bells!
Welcome to the middle of the film.
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2020 at 15:59
Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

Tubular Bells, iconic album! Larks' is good, but I rate a good number of Crimson albums higher.

Not me. It's my absolute favorite. However, for a while I just thought it was whacked out and I didn't get it. That is until I realized it being so crazy is what made it so special. No other KC album like that.

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - January 18 2020 at 16:00
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2020 at 15:26
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>