Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Prog fan's in your 20s

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prog-jester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2020 at 13:38
Originally posted by james_lagan james_lagan wrote:

I'm 16 and got into prog last year... possibly the youngest prog head ever
I love this type of energy I was 14 when discovered UK and Floyd; a year later Genesis and Crimson were my go-to bands; at the age of 16 I heard Script for a Jester's Tear and it's still my favourite album ever some 17 years later.

Early 2000s though were not the best time to be a teenage prog fan - it was more common to be one back in the 70s or even 80s, and it's understandable now, with /mu/-culture and prog memes on Instagram. Back then though, especially in that industrial part of Ukraine...yeah, I still don't understand how that happened
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2020 at 14:15
sounds like a support group thread here doesn't it...  too scared to look at the pages of this.. easy answer and good advice from Dr. Big MIck.. 

ditch the prog.. and the women will come.  Prog is for old farts who are already married for years and years and ain't getting any anymore Beer

Edited by micky - June 28 2020 at 14:17
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
dougmcauliffe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2020 at 15:24
Here's a question, Are any of you older folks fans of newer genres of music, particularly Hip Hop (even if it isn't really new). I'm curious if anyone here listens to Kendrick Lamar, Kanye West or Childish Gambino etc.
The sun has left the sky...
...Now you can close your eyes
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2020 at 16:11
older??? hmmm  wonder if I am that...  while I'm borderline old.... I once had one HELL of a weekend (think Angel Heart kind of sh*t man.. wow) with a Voodoo priestess while living down New Orleans way and was told I was a very old soul soon to finaly leave the earth... and while i often feel 80.. however I do have the mentality of a 14 year old so .. yeah man.. it balances out so i guess I am oldish

Like most anyone I tend to listen to what I like but have worked for many years usually with kids half my age.. usually supervising them at work and once they found out I was really into music they'd turn me on to stuff they liked.. and I'd do the same with stuff I liked. A nice give and take..  they rather liked my open-mindedness. 

My tastes obviously are much more inclined to modern progressive rock.. ie.. not modern prog rock.. but have never equated my tastes to being statements on quality. I've enjoyed much of what I have heard outside of modern progressive music.  I'd never sit at home and listen to things like Hip Hop.. but it was fun to occasionally listen to at work with coworkers  
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2020 at 16:38
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

sounds like a support group thread here doesn't it...  too scared to look at the pages of this.. easy answer and good advice from Dr. Big MIck.. 

ditch the prog.. and the women will come.  Prog is for old farts who are already married for years and years and ain't getting any anymore Beer

Not sure where people get these ideas from. Women want a guy who's not a wuss and not afraid to talk to them. They don't care what kind of music you listen to.

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - June 28 2020 at 17:31
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2020 at 16:42
Originally posted by dougmcauliffe dougmcauliffe wrote:

Here's a question, Are any of you older folks fans of newer genres of music, particularly Hip Hop (even if it isn't really new). I'm curious if anyone here listens to Kendrick Lamar, Kanye West or Childish Gambino etc.

Not me. I like some old school rap though but not so much the newer stuff. I do like "newer" kinds of music though such as indie and some pop stuff. I also like alternative but that's hardly new anymore.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345