Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Female Prog-Rock Vocalists Poll

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Poll Question: Who's your favourite female singer?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
15 [23.08%]
0 [0.00%]
3 [4.62%]
17 [26.15%]
2 [3.08%]
1 [1.54%]
0 [0.00%]
2 [3.08%]
0 [0.00%]
3 [4.62%]
2 [3.08%]
4 [6.15%]
1 [1.54%]
1 [1.54%]
3 [4.62%]
1 [1.54%]
2 [3.08%]
1 [1.54%]
2 [3.08%]
1 [1.54%]
2 [3.08%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [1.54%]
1 [1.54%]
0 [0.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Female Prog-Rock Vocalists Poll
    Posted: January 22 2020 at 02:14
I've left an empty slot for any female Prog-Rock singer I might have missed.
It's anybody's guess who's going to win this poll.  Smile

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - January 23 2020 at 14:20
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2020 at 02:30
As a singer I think Björk is the best; when it comes to the work as a whole the price would go to Kate Bush, and special honours will always go to Annie.
Hercules View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Hercules Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2020 at 02:55
There are some good ones here!
Haslam? Wonderful
Turunen? Great
den Adel? Magnificent
van Giersbergen? Breathtaking
Christina Booth? Fabulous
Joanne Hogg? Enchanting

But two of the rest pip all these wonderful singers, and both sang with the same band. Olivia Sparnenn has a truly wonderful voice and is a fantastic replacement in the band, but I'm going to vote for her predecessor, Heather Findlay, who has a voice the angels would die for (if they could). Evergreen is the greatest piece of female singing I've ever heard.

A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.
Enchant X View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Enchant X Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2020 at 03:04
I'm pleased you included Anneke van Giersbergen from The Gathering, so pleased I voted for her. A close second would be Heather Findlay from Mostly Autumn I have a live CD and her voice is magnificent. I really adore females in prog - rock it can give it that extra something, I'd like to see a lot more of it. Tongue 

Edited by Enchant X - January 22 2020 at 03:18
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2020 at 03:10
You should have added the wonderous Susanne Sundfor (http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=7784)

If you've never heard her, you should!
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2020 at 03:40
Originally posted by Hercules Hercules wrote:

There are some good ones here!
Haslam? Wonderful
Turunen? Great
den Adel? Magnificent
van Giersbergen? Breathtaking
Christina Booth? Fabulous
Joanne Hogg? Enchanting

But two of the rest pip all these wonderful singers, and both sang with the same band. Olivia Sparnenn has a truly wonderful voice and is a fantastic replacement in the band, but I'm going to vote for her predecessor, Heather Findlay, who has a voice the angels would die for (if they could). Evergreen is the greatest piece of female singing I've ever heard.

I only added Olivia Sparnenn as an afterthought to be honest, because I only heard of her for the first time today when I was putting the poll together, even though I'm a fan of Mostly Autumn. I totally agree with what you said about Heather Findlay's gorgeous angelic vocals, although I couldn't resist voting for Annie Haslam, because she's always been one of my favourite female singers, ever since hearing the  "Prologue" album for the first time in the early 1970's. Renaissance were one of the first prog bands I was really into in the early 1970's, alongside Camel and Barclay James Harvest. Smile
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2020 at 03:43
Originally posted by Enchant X Enchant X wrote:

I'm pleased you included Anneke van Giersbergen from The Gathering, so pleased I voted for her. A close second would be Heather Findlay from Mostly Autumn I have a live CD and her voice is magnificent. I really adore females in prog - rock it can give it that extra something, I'd like to see a lot more of it. Tongue 
It's thanks to Google that I included Anneke van Giersbergen, because I hadn't heard of her before today. Smile
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2020 at 03:48
I voted for Catherine Ribeiro. I figure I’ll be the sole vote
Lots of other fine women in this thread. I do miss Susanne Sundfør and Anna Von Hausswolff. The former has the best vocals in modern prog/prog pop whereas the latter displays some of witch-like qualities that Catherine Ribeiro, Anna Meek Renate Knaup and Diamanda Galas wield....and that is while she is playing the church organ.

My alltime favourite female vocalist?
Annisette from Savage Rose
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=j3771VRjvs8

Edited by Guldbamsen - January 22 2020 at 03:48
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2020 at 03:50
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

You should have added the wonderous Susanne Sundfor (http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=7784)

I'll edit in Susanne Sundfør to Slot No. 25, seeing as she's now had two mentions. Smile
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote BaldJean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2020 at 03:53
tough choice; I voted for Inga Rumpf. but where is Dagmar Krause? both Inga and Dagmar were in the same band once, the City Preachers.

Inga still has got it, as you can see in this live clip from March 2018:

she is 71 in that clip.

on a side note: the drummer of the City Preachers was a certain Udo Lindenberg who plays drums on the first Passport album and on the solo album of Jean-Jacques Kravetz (keyboarder of Frumpy and also a member of the City Preachers) and is very famous in Germany as a singer. he really is a superstar in Germany. here a live video of him:

a biographical movie of him came out this year. here a trailer:

Edited by BaldJean - January 22 2020 at 05:03

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2020 at 03:56
You really should have given multiple options. I voted for Annie but would have also voted for Floor Jansen had there been multiple options.
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2020 at 04:31
Kate Bush out of this list, as I've been a fan of hers since day one. She's not just a great singer, but an extremely accomplished musician, composer and songwriter. However, I believe Lisa Gerrard of Dead Can Dance fully deserves a mention, with her dramatic contralto so different from the angelic sopranos that people seem to favour here and elsewhere. Really looking forward to seeing her and the equally sublime Brendan Perry (one of my Top 10 male vocalists, hands down) in April.
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2020 at 05:04
I think it´s Bobbie Watson but vote Annie.
Mormegil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Mormegil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2020 at 06:09
Annie Haslam, just a smidge ahead of Heather Findlay and Candice Night.
Welcome to the middle of the film.
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2020 at 06:16
Poll is missing the two vocalists from Izz; Laura Meade and Anmarie Byrnes. Also, Amy Darby from Thieves Kitchen is missing.

Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2020 at 06:21
A lot of great vocalists in this poll. Annie Haslam gets my vote.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2020 at 06:27
Wow! It's great to see Annie Haslam has already taken a clear lead with a fully deserved six votes so far. Smile
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2020 at 06:27
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

I'll edit in Susanne Sundfør to Slot No. 25, seeing as she's now had two mentions. Smile

Clap
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2020 at 06:28
Originally posted by Grumpyprogfan Grumpyprogfan wrote:

Poll is missing the two vocalists from Izz; Laura Meade and Anmarie Byrnes. Also, Amy Darby from Thieves Kitchen is missing.

Good call for IZZ, especially Laura Meade.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2020 at 06:31
Originally posted by BaldJean BaldJean wrote:

tough choice; I voted for Inga Rumpf. but where is Dagmar Krause?
Sorry, there wasn't room to fit in everyone. I already used up all 25 poll options. Smile
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>