Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog News, Press Releases
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Genesis Reunion 2020

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldJean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2020 at 12:40
I am most definitely not interested in this reunion

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2020 at 00:58
^ Missing out on the chance to have a 'bop' to Invisible Touch . *shocker* 
Wink
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2020 at 01:10
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

I’d love to see this...but am certainly not crossing an ocean to go.
Personally I’m fairly positive about Collins Jr. on drums. Anybody who has heard him on the Sound Of Contact debut will know that the apple doesn’t fall too far from the tree. He genuinely sounds like his father in that tight n sloppy way that one usually has to trawl through old 60s and 70s albums to hear. I imagine he will fit in Genesis perfectly.
I hope daddy-o gets his mojo back. The recent pictures I’ve seen of him do not look good...sorta like Captain Picard’s long lost brother..with a massive hangover.

It was Simon Collins played on Sound Of Contact. As a kid he also used to play a tiny drum set along off stage at Genesis gigs. Cute!

I presume Nic Collins is a different son?

What?
Alrighty then...he does seem covered beat-wise from a family point of view. I had no idea Phil had another drumming offspring..but if he’s anything like Simon, he’ll surely kick arse!
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
twosteves View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twosteves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2020 at 08:14
Nic is the drummer and Simon is the singer and actually Genesis should take both because Simon could help with the vocals--ShockedPhils voice is tough to listen to at times---

But Steve is doing an amazing job of keeping the great Genesis music alive and you will most certainly get your money's worth---his concerts are amazing...all top notch musicians respecting the music ---(unlike Yes).

Edited by twosteves - March 07 2020 at 08:15
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2020 at 09:02
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

I have been following this rumor for the past 2 months or so, it seems it may be true as an announcement is due out tomorrow from the BBC Radio 2 morning show. 
Read more about it here, and of course no Peter Gabriel or Steve Hackett to join the reunion, regardless I'm in if they come to the US.

Hi,

I might need a couch to sleep on if they make it to Seattle ... I'm gonna guess they will only do the major cities ... and that would mean Seattle is in! In the West Coast it would be LA, SF and Seattle ... Portland is a crap music town by comparison! Even though they have a great band ... GRAILS .... on their dockets ... but I'm not sure I have seen a show in Portland ... and I don't want to bet that only 12 people will show up for the night!

I'm guessing that Steve Hackett is booked so far ahead that anything with GENESIS is probably impossible, but really, without Steve Hackett, I'm not sure it will be that great ... just another memory lain down the road and a million in your pocket!

PG ... well, no surprise there, he is not that great anymore, and he has no "shtick" to make himself more valuable and important than the band ... so he won't show up ... I really wish he would swallow up his pride and come to the show and put in a nice set ... if not for the band, it would be one of the greatest treats of all for the fans, almost all of whom, never got to see PG with them, when it mattered and counted ... but I really think that a lot of it has to do with his fellow members not appreciating a lot of TLLDOB and he would want to do several bits from it, I'm sure ... it's his best work ever ... and the single stuff after, is not half as good!

Edited by moshkito - March 07 2020 at 09:07
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
tamijo_II View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tamijo_II Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2020 at 10:37
na, not my cop.

Prefer to remember them from recorded material, saw Hacket few years back was ok, but far from Genesis at their best.
Same person as this profile:
Tamijo
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2020 at 01:01
Originally posted by twosteves twosteves wrote:

Nic is the drummer and Simon is the singer and actually Genesis should take both because Simon could help with the vocals--ShockedPhils voice is tough to listen to at times---

But Steve is doing an amazing job of keeping the great Genesis music alive and you will most certainly get your money's worth---his concerts are amazing...all top notch musicians respecting the music ---(unlike Yes).

Simon Collins plays drums as well and was the drummer and lead singer for Sound Of Contact . The drums are very 'Duke like' on this album but Nic may be just as good hopefully ( as I'm going!)

http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=41748

Studio Album, released in 2013

Songs / Tracks Listing

1. Sound of Contact (2:05)
2. Cosmic Distance Ladder (4:43)
3. Pale Blue Dot (4:44)
4. I Am Dimensionaut (6:24)
5. Not Coming Down (6:01)
6. Remote View (3:54)
7. Beyond Illumination (5:53)
8. Only Breathing Out (5:56)
9. Realm of In-Organic Beings (2:52)
10. Closer to You (5:05)
11. Omega Point (6:29)
12. Möbius Slip (19:35) :
- Part-I : In The Difference Engine
- Part-II : Perihelion Continuum
- Part-III : Salvation Found
- Part-IV : All Worlds All Times

Total time 73:41

Line-up / Musicians

- Simon Collins / lead vocals, drums, percussion, co-producer
- Kelly Nordstrom / electric & acoustic guitars, bass
- Matt Dorsey / electric & acoustic guitars, bass, backing vocals
- Dave Kerzner / keyboards, acoustic guitar, backing vocals, sound design, co-producer

Edited by richardh - March 08 2020 at 01:06
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2020 at 11:43
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

I have been following this rumor for the past 2 months or so, it seems it may be true as an announcement is due out tomorrow from the BBC Radio 2 morning show. 
Read more about it here, and of course no Peter Gabriel or Steve Hackett to join the reunion, regardless I'm in if they come to the US.

Hi,

I might need a couch to sleep on if they make it to Seattle ... I'm gonna guess they will only do the major cities ... and that would mean Seattle is in! In the West Coast it would be LA, SF and Seattle ... Portland is a crap music town by comparison! Even though they have a great band ... GRAILS .... on their dockets ... but I'm not sure I have seen a show in Portland ... and I don't want to bet that only 12 people will show up for the night!

I'm guessing that Steve Hackett is booked so far ahead that anything with GENESIS is probably impossible, but really, without Steve Hackett, I'm not sure it will be that great ... just another memory lain down the road and a million in your pocket!

PG ... well, no surprise there, he is not that great anymore, and he has no "shtick" to make himself more valuable and important than the band ... so he won't show up ... I really wish he would swallow up his pride and come to the show and put in a nice set ... if not for the band, it would be one of the greatest treats of all for the fans, almost all of whom, never got to see PG with them, when it mattered and counted ... but I really think that a lot of it has to do with his fellow members not appreciating a lot of TLLDOB and he would want to do several bits from it, I'm sure ... it's his best work ever ... and the single stuff after, is not half as good!

First they need to announce a US Tour, which I suspect will only happen upon Phil feeling like he can after this UK tour. I will be shocked if they come to Seattle. Clearly the east coast is easy but then have to travel 3000 miles to west coast, we'll see.
Portland gets the same shows Seattle does on the prog scene of late, I know most that come here do hit Portland also. Haken, Riverside, Pineapple Thief, SWilson, DT all make PDX a stop.....for sure we don't get all the shows though like say LA or NY gets.

We all want to see that lineup and it is still a chance as long as they are all still working and living, but relationships and business reasons might not let it happen. It seems PG is super hard to get time with to even discuss such a tour, he's either very busy or not interested. Hackett to me simply does not want to do it.....
We can still dream though.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2020 at 12:15

Portland gets the same shows Seattle does on the prog scene of late, I know most that come here do hit Portland also. Haken, Riverside, Pineapple Thief, SWilson, DT all make PDX a stop.....for sure we don't get all the shows though like say LA or NY gets.

Hi,

Probably not anymore ... many of these got to stay with Paul Allen and have the benefits of the high life (specially Roger Waters), but in the end, now they will have to pay for this and that ... and not bother stopping here ... the thing is, the airport here is a far better location for a stop than Seattle ... but the issue might be lugging all the equipment around ... and the usual ... GENESIS ... "it's a family tour"!

Edited by moshkito - March 09 2020 at 08:43
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2020 at 10:47
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Hi,

Probably not anymore ... many of these got to stay with Paul Allen and have the benefits of the high life (specially Roger Waters), but in the end, now they will have to pay for this and that ... and not bother stopping here ... the thing is, the airport here is a far better location for a stop than Seattle ... but the issue might be lugging all the equipment around ... and the usual ... GENESIS ... "it's a family tour"!

I love Pink Floyd, but Roger Waters can kiss my arse, he's a doosh. You'd have to pay me to see his show.
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blacksword Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2020 at 04:15
I'm going to see Hackett in November. That'll do for me. I've only seen him once before and that was all too briefly at a festival where the organisors decided that because they were running over they would cut his set, and not the likes of Wishbone Ash, who I would have thought were less of a draw on the Prog Stage, and to be frank were.. zzzzz

Does anyone have any clear footage of Nic Collins drumming? I can find low quality clips of him playing on his dads recent tour, but nothing where he is playing more complex stuff. I don't want to be prejudiced, but the best drummers I've known could not do Genesis songs justice at 18, not in the way Phil and/or Chester could. I do appreciate Nic has had a good teacher!
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2020 at 10:55
Originally posted by Blacksword Blacksword wrote:

I'm going to see Hackett in November. That'll do for me. I've only seen him once before and that was all too briefly at a festival where the organisors decided that because they were running over they would cut his set, and not the likes of Wishbone Ash, who I would have thought were less of a draw on the Prog Stage, and to be frank were.. zzzzz

Does anyone have any clear footage of Nic Collins drumming? I can find low quality clips of him playing on his dads recent tour, but nothing where he is playing more complex stuff. I don't want to be prejudiced, but the best drummers I've known could not do Genesis songs justice at 18, not in the way Phil and/or Chester could. I do appreciate Nic has had a good teacher!

Agree, not sure why Chester is not part of the tour, hoping Nic can pull it off Clap. On the big stage like that playing some complex material, I have a feeling he will do fine. The recent interview with Genesis on the tour Phil did mention he was planning on doing some drumming, hope he has received some good PT for his nerve damage. Physically he looks pretty frail, Tony Banks looks the best of the 3 with Rutherford looking older....
heavydrum View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote heavydrum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2020 at 03:09
to see three old men play 'invisible touch'? no, thanks, it's pretty ridiculous, seeing collins standing on a chair for two hours while his son tries his best back there... no offense to the kid but his best doesn't even come close to what his father could do.
so no, i'll stay home and listen to 'foxtrot'. again.
i refuse to join any club that would have me as a member.
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2020 at 03:27
His other son Simon is definitely good enough to pull off old school Genesis material in a convincing manner. Anyone doubting this should check out Dimensionaut.
....but yeah it’s Nic playing (?)
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
twosteves View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twosteves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2020 at 08:57
Simon does a great job of singing Genesis on Hacketts album --and I just cant believe Phil's voice can do this. So having a singer/drummer touring might fill in the blanks.
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2020 at 09:30
Originally posted by Blacksword Blacksword wrote:

You're just after a job Andy.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2020 at 17:47
Originally posted by heavydrum heavydrum wrote:

to see three old men play 'invisible touch'? no, thanks, it's pretty ridiculous, seeing collins standing on a chair for two hours while his son tries his best back there... no offense to the kid but his best doesn't even come close to what his father could do.

why would he stand on the chair?

Anyway 2 hours of Invisible Touch could severely grate on the ears. Hopefully they might play something else along the way Wink
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2020 at 17:57
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Originally posted by heavydrum heavydrum wrote:

why would he stand on the chair?

Anyway 2 hours of Invisible Touch could severely grate on the ears. Hopefully they might play something else along the way Wink

They'll play one hour of an extended version of Inivisible Touch and one hour of an extended I can't dance. LOL
The Doctor View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Doctor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2020 at 21:46
I would be ecstatic over a new Genesis album (3-man, 4-man or 5-man, it doesn't matter).  While I understand that a tour is going to rake in a whole lot more cash for the guys, I'm not that interested in rehashing the glory days with a new tour.  Now if they had a new album to tour on, that would be something. 
I can understand your anger at me, but what did the horse I rode in on ever do to you?
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2020 at 16:53

I love Pink Floyd, but Roger Waters can kiss my arse, he's a doosh. You'd have to pay me to see his show.

Hi,

For people that never got to see PF and The Wall, he is magnificent ... for us old timers that saw the original way back when ... it is a completely whole other story and I was not happy with Roger's redo of The Wall, and the thing that I missed the most? ... the stuff that no one remembers .... the quad sound going around the crowd ... you could hear the steps of the girl going across the room and even say ... look at those guitars ... which started almost in the back and echoed to the front! On Roger's show it was that digital bullpucky and it only went from stage left to right ... and both you and I ... honestly? I feel cheated! The one thing that made PF the best in terms of a show, was basically taken out!!

But GENESIS, by the time I got into them, it was during SEBTP when it came out and then TLLDOB ... and in that year I got all their early stuff and Anthony Phillips stuff ... and AP has been much more important to me than either GENESIS or PG ... and way more creative for my tastes!

Edited by moshkito - March 13 2020 at 16:53
www.pedrosena.com
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>