Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

First Four Studio Albums

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Poll Question: Who has the best overall?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
27 [25.96%]
1 [0.96%]
10 [9.62%]
10 [9.62%]
5 [4.81%]
11 [10.58%]
25 [24.04%]
12 [11.54%]
2 [1.92%]
1 [0.96%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Boojieboy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boojieboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: First Four Studio Albums
    Posted: March 14 2024 at 13:44
Difficult poll, so I won't vote.

Camel and Genesis would battle it out for the first tier, followed by Gentle Giant. But still nothing definitive. Apples and oranges.
Mellotron Storm View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mellotron Storm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2024 at 15:32
Personally I would vote for either One Shot or Anekdoten if they were on here but I get that they would get little attention compared to some of these big names.
"The wind is slowly tearing her apart"

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN
TenYearsAfter View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TenYearsAfter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2024 at 14:51
Originally posted by Cosmiclawnmower Cosmiclawnmower wrote:

Most bands are finding their feet with their first lps.. I suppose ELP probably made the first four most consistent and successful lps (they are not my personal favourites but i recognise the quality and consistency).

My own (personal and no doubt unpopular) choice would be the first four Barclay James Harvest lps on the Harvest label- yes, Baby James Harvest is a bit of rag-tag but as a body of work on one label, it feels like a very whole statement of the sound and feel that they were trying to achieve. And it launched them into the next phase on the Polydor label.

I was thinking too about BJH, I love their epic Dark Now My Sky, from their eponymous debut LP.
Cosmiclawnmower View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cosmiclawnmower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2024 at 14:23
Most bands are finding their feet with their first lps.. I suppose ELP probably made the first four most consistent and successful lps (they are not my personal favourites but i recognise the quality and consistency).

My own (personal and no doubt unpopular) choice would be the first four Barclay James Harvest lps on the Harvest label- yes, Baby James Harvest is a bit of rag-tag but as a body of work on one label, it feels like a very whole statement of the sound and feel that they were trying to achieve. And it launched them into the next phase on the Polydor label.

presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote presdoug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2024 at 06:56
Originally posted by presdoug presdoug wrote:

Other-Triumvirat   
Richard,  as from your list, I would say ELP.  Four masterpieces in a row.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2024 at 00:52
I have no problem with your choices, just playing along with Doug's other choice by mentioning my vote (do wish if people mention an others they would also try to go for an option) plus some others (intended as a conciliatory/ sympathetic measure as some people do get stick for apparent fanboyism, myself included, although I am more likely to stick it to myself). I agree on VdGG. As for PFM, PA lists Quelli in the discography as pre-PFM (it has been quite common to list related works in discographies). I would not count that. That said, for me PFm only has a really strong runs of three with Storia di un minuto, Per un amico and L'isola di niente. I consider those English language versions disposable, but then I tend not to favour re-makes. For other Italian big names, Le Orme is strong for me for the first five, and Area is very strong for the first four (but Area likeley would be too out there for most symph-oriented Proggers).

Edited by Logan - March 09 2024 at 00:53
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2024 at 22:17
I could have expanded the list to include VDGG but like Genesis they have a weak debut followed by 4-5 incredibly strong albums.
PFM would have an even stronger case but according to PA they also have a weak debut album that was released in 1969 called Quelli which draws comparison to Genesis's debut album. Pity that.
Magma are a good suggestion as they have 4 (actually 5) strong albums right off the bat.
I'm not inclined to create another poll though. This was a barely concealed attempt to give ELP a chance to win a poll against other major prog bands. If I had gone to 5 albums then that's ELP out of the running! GG's fifth album is In A Glass House, while the next 2 aren't bad either!

presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote presdoug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2024 at 20:12
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

Other-Triumvirat   

Don't you like any other bands besides Triumvirat? Wink
One look at my music collection, and there are probably around 50 different bands there that I avidly listen to....Passport, Dzyan, Wallenstein, If, Quatermass just to name a few....not to mention a gigantic classical music collection....Triumvirat are the tip of the iceburg......man cannot live on Triumvirat alone......
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2024 at 17:17
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

Other-Triumvirat   

One might say that Triumvirat puts the tri in triumphant.

Van der Graaf Generator does seem the more obvious missing one for ten, and you can't spell vantastic without van.

I'll go with King Crimson, although I actually am not that big on the debut. That said, I recognise its significance and won't deny its greatness. If I were to choose a big ten (or big twelve), I do think I would have added Magma and that would have got my vote. You can't spell Magma without mag, just like magnificent. And Tangerine Dream for a really dreamy list.

Edited by Logan - March 08 2024 at 17:21
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2024 at 16:29

Other-Triumvirat   

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - March 08 2024 at 16:29
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote presdoug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2024 at 08:44
Other-Triumvirat   
Mellotron Storm View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mellotron Storm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2024 at 00:04
I went with Camel.
"The wind is slowly tearing her apart"

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN
TenYearsAfter View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TenYearsAfter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2024 at 17:03
Genesis, with ELP as second best.
Floydoid View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Floydoid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2024 at 16:24
ELP get my vote on this one - their albums were practically flawless right up to (and including) BSS.
'We're going to need a bigger swear jar.'
VianaProghead View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VianaProghead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2024 at 05:43
Gentle Giant.
"PROG IS MY FERRARI".
Jem Godfrey (Frost*)
Big Sky View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Sky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2024 at 11:06
ELP by the slimmest of margins over Gentle Giant.
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2024 at 17:20
Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

OoOoOhh! Kansas should be part of this poll. Maybe they're not because they'd win. 
LOL
No doubt!
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2024 at 17:13

ELP
                      quality over quantity, and all kind of PopcoRn almost beyond
essexboyinwales View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote essexboyinwales Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2024 at 17:00
Went with Marillion😊

My personal top 3 would be IQ, King’s X and It Bites😎
Heaven is waiting but waiting is Hell
progaardvark View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote progaardvark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2024 at 16:07
ELP narrowly over Camel. I'm trying to convince myself that there are 15 types of potatoes.
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>